Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Is Michael Jordan one of the most well known athletes ever ?

I grew up in the "I wanna be like Mike era" (I was a freshman in high school when he entered the NBA) and he is/was one of the most popular athletes ever. And it was all well deserved. This coming from a Showtime Lakers fan who hated Jordan when he was playing.
    Bird and Magic got basketball out of the 70's funk and put the sport back where it belonged. Jordon took what they did and made it global. You had to be there to experience what the Jordan era was like. It also helped that David Stern was a visionary and made the NBA influence expand worldwide, but it was Jordan and is accomplishments that propelled him and the NBA to new found heights.

Decent playground baller Jordan23GOAT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    Michael Jordan was hyped and believe it or not, he's overrated, in terms of people saying he's the "undisputed" greatest of all time player. Nike and other products that he endorsed made his legacy in the world.

The reason why kids still know who he is because of his shoes. His shoes are being endorsed by other superstars and is keeping his name relevant.

MJ is very insecure where he wants his name out there till he dies, while other players like Magic, Bird and Kareem know what they meant to the game.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Michael Jordan was hyped and believe it or not, he's overrated, in terms of people saying he's the "undisputed" greatest of all time player. Nike and other products that he endorsed made his legacy in the world.

The reason why kids still know who he is because of his shoes. His shoes are being endorsed by other superstars and is keeping his name relevant.

MJ is very insecure where he wants his name out there till he dies, while other players like Magic, Bird and Kareem know what they meant to the game.
    Although there is some truth to this, you still are trying way too hard to knock Jordan off his pedestal. If its all about marketing and nike, why have so many other great athletes never reached Jordan's status....

Kobe was marketed heavily when he came into the league and it was continued throughout his first chip runs, yet he never came close to reaching MJ's status, Shaq same thing.....Magic and Bird were heavily marketed by the NBA, yet they never reached his status....what's even worse is that many of today's generation athletes have a easier time to promote themselves, through the internet, tv, twitter, etc..... yet they can't touch MJ(who is freakin retired)......Jordan had none of those options in the 80's, yet was already, becoming a household name.

Unfortunately its sad that you cannot admit that the things he did on the court, are the main reasons people followed the guy, even your hero has copied Jordan so bad, he studied Jordan's interviews to sound more like him......people wanted to slam like Mike, do crazy lay-ups like Mike, score like Mike, that's how most of his fame came to be, his on court dominance.....

Ali, Pele, Jordan are on the Mount Rushmore of world's most recognizable athlete's, Beckham and Shaq probably can fight it out for the 4th spot
    Last edited by Calabis; 10-01-2010 at 09:57 AM.

I rule the local playground

Way to miss the point

Everyone gets forgoten, even though MJ is still the most famous basketball player, as the years pass by, it's always a little less. It's true that someone like my mother knows who Jordan is, but wouldn't know Kobe. The NBA is not as popular as it was when Jordan played, and unfortunately for Kobe, much of his fame outside of the basketball world came when he got accused for rape by that slut. (Kobe didn't rape her.)

The answer is yes.

/thread

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    He is second to Ali

Ali is the self-proclaimed greatest of all time (in boxing)

Jordan was given that title by fans, other players, and the media. Meaning, he actually earned it through what he did. He didn't just keep calling himself that until everyone else started to call him that too. "The Greatest of All Time" is basically just a nicname for Ali, it's not reality.

I would take Lennox Lewis or George Foreman over Ali any day.

LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote Originally Posted by Spell&Grammar
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]A grammatically correct, properly spelled, and appropriately worded alternative to the post above might read as follows:

I was recently debating my buddy on Michael Jordan's status as one of the best known athletes of all time. I believe everyone knows who MJ is, even people who do not follow sports. Even young kids around the world have heard of MJ. For example, my 7-year-old cousin is familiar with MJ. However, he is not familiar with Kobe Bryant or Lebron James. To further confirm my theory, I asked my 70-year-old great aunt the same question. She also was familiar with MJ, but was unfamiliar with Kobe Bryant. What is your opinion on this subject?

Spell&Grammar
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]A grammatically correct, properly spelled, and appropriately worded alternative to the post above might read as follows:

I was recently debating my buddy on Michael Jordan's status as one of the best known athletes of all time. I believe everyone knows who MJ is, even people who do not follow sports. Even young kids around the world have heard of MJ. For example, my 7-year-old cousin is familiar with MJ. However, he is not familiar with Kobe Bryant or Lebron James. To further confirm my theory, I asked my 70-year-old great aunt the same question. She also was familiar with MJ, but was unfamiliar with Kobe Bryant. What is your opinion on this subject?

Spell&Grammar
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Not that I personally care about this sort of shit, but since you made a gimmick account to correct people I'd like to point out that you're using incorrect grammar too.

I think you meant, you were, "debating with your buddy", not "you're debating your buddy". That would be like saying, "I was arguing my girlfriend". . .which makes no sense.

You also apparently don't have high level grammatical skills, since you didn't use a semi colon before the, "however", break, which is one of the few places that's even used. You should've written, "For example, my 7-year old cousin if familiar with MJ; however, he is not familiar with Kobe Bryant or LeBron James."

Gimmick fail, imo. You don't use perfect grammar yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    cat ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    He is second to Ali
    Boxing is not as big as basketball, particularly for kids. Basketball is something that more people can relate to, because they can easily play it, there are basketball teams in school, etc. The 1st time I ever heard of Ali I was like 11, and he made an appearance on WCW. I asked my father who that was, cause he was shaking and they were making a big deal about him, and he said Muhammad Ali. You have to look at all types of demographics. While my mother might know who Ali is, the average 20 year old girl might not know who he is, while all probably know who Jordan is.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

I don't think any athlete has ever gotten to the level MJ did back in the 90's. I remember seeing a news story where they said like more sixth graders could recognize the back of MJ's head than a picture of Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Not that I personally care about this sort of shit, but since you made a gimmick account to correct people I'd like to point out that you're using incorrect grammar too.

I think you meant, you were, "debating with your buddy", not "you're debating your buddy". That would be like saying, "I was arguing my girlfriend". . .which makes no sense.

You also apparently don't have high level grammatical skills, since you didn't use a semi colon before the, "however", break, which is one of the few places that's even used. You should've written, "For example, my 7-year old cousin if familiar with MJ; however, he is not familiar with Kobe Bryant or LeBron James."

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]
    Thank you for replying to Spell&Grammar. Spell&Grammar will continue providing help to correct spelling and grammatical mistakes. We appreciate your feedback.

A semicolon can be used to separate two complete sentences. However, it is not required.

We strive to bring you the very best. Thank you for your continued support.

Spell&Grammar[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]
    Thank you for replying to Spell&Grammar. Spell&Grammar will continue providing help to correct spelling and grammatical mistakes. We appreciate your feedback.

A semicolon can be used to separate two complete sentences. However, it is not required.

We strive to bring you the very best. Thank you for your continued support.

Spell&Grammar[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Backpedalling?

You also didn't address your other error, for which there is no excuse.

Yes, because he's now a brand name. His name will live forever in that sense like Calvin Klien. As a sport figure he's know to virtually every country and demographic although I'd think a guy like David Beckham is more know on a world stage.

College superstar

He is definately very well known however some people are forgetting two Extremely famous people.