Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Default Plantar Fasciitis and your shoes

More and more players are getting plantar fasciitis in their feet, and this is a subject near and dear to me, because I suffered from it for 5 years.

I know a lot of people buy shoes on looks, then initial comfort, but I'm telling you guys, foot problems are no joke. Don't think that the shoe companies design their shoes to minimize injuries either, because there is no way that they can test every foot type, arch type and flexibility to match what goes onto the market.

Phil Jackson was cited for his remarks on Ron Artest recently.
    read more. http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4855373
    Ron is wearing his Peak's this year.
    Two of my Bulls are going through issues too. Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson. Noah wearing 'Le Coq Sportif, a brand his father used to endorse for tennis.
    And that's not the end of the line, this is a common injury(I hesitate to call it an injury because its more of a foot deforming). Also, a lot of athletes will do as much as they can to not insult their sponsors, and they tone down this injury, or worse, they play through the pain and hurt their knees and back.

Understand your arch type, and don't assume your normal. Playing ball with the wrong control-type over the years will do a number on your feet.
    At least understand where your foot needs the most support.
    Motion Control, Stability, Cushioned are the main 3.

Also, buying and using insoles will not supplement the difference between the proper shoe, and one that is slightly off.

The main reason I made this post, is because I am really not cool with how many shoe manufacturers DO NOT CARE to market arch types in basketball shoes at this point and time. The jogging/running enthusiasts literally changed how big companies designed their shoes. They stopped buying Nike, Reebok, and whatever major shelf brands, because the best runners in the world were getting hurt, and dropping endorsements so they could enjoy running again . This drove the research for more options for consumers in nearly all low-cut gym shoes. But I feel Basketball enthusiasts are missing out on a great opportunity to REALLY improve their foot health and overall performance. In fact, some Basketball shoes do exist for MC, S or C feet, yet stores rarely carry them, because people aren't educated about it.

Find out what type of arch you have, make a demand when possible for stores to carry these.
    And for any of you guys who are in school, playing ball, make sure your coach knows. For the coaches, don't ignore this issue and watch your players fall short and gain lifelong injuries because of ignorance. You'll be happy that you put the time into the decision, and you'll be lighting up your opponents.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Default Re: Plantar Fasciitis and your shoes

Good post. Question, though. I've been wearing arch supports for five years now, and I just got some new ones because my feet were too big for my old ones. Now, when I get basketball shoes, I have to buy a size or a size and a half bigger just so my feet'd be comfortable inside and not so cramped up with the extra bulk the arch support adds. So, anyway, I've noticed that when I use my arch support now, my archs get really painful for around the first 30-45 minutes of doing some sprints or other conditioning exercises that focus on the legs/feet. Any advice on how to remedy that? Well, for a few years, I stoppsed using my arch support, and I was fine, but last year it started hurting again, so I had the new ones done. I'm contemplating right now on whether I should still use them or not. The ones who made them and my ortho said that I should never play without them, though. It gets pretty painful, though.

What kind of arch supports? Are these perscription arch supports? Did you pull the insole out of your shoes before you installed them?

Most people will have pain breaking in new supports, but some of that pain might be uneccessary. If its hurting for that long f a time, before your feet feel okay, just get a follow up with your pediotrist. They can adjust the perscription until you are comfortable. In my experiences, I have never met anyone that had arch supports made right on the first time. Re-molds and adjustments were made over time, and that made quite the difference.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    What kind of arch supports? Are these perscription arch supports? Did you pull the insole out of your shoes before you installed them?

Most people will have pain breaking in new supports, but some of that pain might be uneccessary. If its hurting for that long f a time, before your feet feel okay, just get a follow up with your pediotrist. They can adjust the perscription until you are comfortable. In my experiences, I have never met anyone that had arch supports made right on the first time. Re-molds and adjustments were made over time, and that made quite the difference.
    I'm using prescription arch supports.

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    I'm using prescription arch supports.
    I used that, but i don't need anymore.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

I would agree 100% that custom orthotics is the way to go. Trouble is all this can be avoided, just needs to start at a young age. Parents putting kids in sneakers 24-7, not letting them go barefoot ever IMO is the issue. Look at otehr nations that don't wear shoes often, not much in regards to foot structure issues. But look at the USA, where having the most comfortable shoe, along with the issue above, yet flat feet (pes planus) and other structural issues are common.

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    I would agree 100% that custom orthotics is the way to go. Trouble is all this can be avoided, just needs to start at a young age. Parents putting kids in sneakers 24-7, not letting them go barefoot ever IMO is the issue. Look at otehr nations that don't wear shoes often, not much in regards to foot structure issues. But look at the USA, where having the most comfortable shoe, along with the issue above, yet flat feet (pes planus) and other structural issues are common.
    This is not entirely true. Wearing the wrong shoes is a bigger factor. I was barefoot for most of my young life, and we couldn't afford nice shoes. However when I did get nice shoes, I always bought the wrong type, and the expensive shoes screwed up my feet more than anything.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    This is not entirely true. Wearing the wrong shoes is a bigger factor. I was barefoot for most of my young life, and we couldn't afford nice shoes. However when I did get nice shoes, I always bought the wrong type, and the expensive shoes screwed up my feet more than anything.

Fair enough. There are a few issues that need to be tackled. I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of statements in your first post btw. very good read. I too wish foot mechanics was talked about a little more and the issue was tackled heavier by the basketball shoe community.

Learning to shoot layups LRVBADASSBALLIN's Avatar

I didn't read all the above, but I use to have this BAD! It started when I used the same pair for way too long. They broke down on the inside but I kept using them because the outside looked brand new. Then...BAM, right heel & that one area on the bottom of the foot began to kill me. This went on for 4 yrs, maybe longer.

Now I wear orthodics, not the cheap ones you get at Walgreens or Wal-Fart. These cost $250+ AND, what's helped a lot is that I get 5 new pairs & rotate them.

AND, Alieve Gel caps for inflammation, my buddy is a Chiro, that helped quite a bit, getting monthly adjustments, etc. Ice, rest, stretching.

It's not easy to get rid of, a real pain in the ass, errr heel! Ha.

There also a boot you can wear at night while you sleep that keep you foot stretched back. I never tried it but I hear it works well. Hope my post can help out someone.

Saw a basketball once

Getting the appropriate footwear is paramount when you have a mild to moderate case of plantar fasciitis, as the best shoes for plantar fasciitis can provide the support that is necessary to shield the fascia against further injury, and promote healing. I've tried numerous brands of shoes in the past, and can confidently say that New Balance makes the optimal shoe for plantar fasciitis.

Saw a basketball once

"Getting the appropriate footwear is paramount when you have a mild to moderate case of plantar fasciitis,"

When you are experiencing plantar fasciitis you should be very careful in choosing the right shoes for you.

-------------
    Pretty Butterflies Scrub Top
    Last edited by edytharceo; 01-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Saw a basketball once

Crystallas, thanks a lot for your helpful post!

I have not suffered from Plantar Fasciitis, but I have had many problems in both feet, initially caused by a bad fall a few years ago. I currently have some sesamoiditis (pain in the ball of my foot) and I just have to be overall pretty careful with my feet, and the shoes I wear.

Where I come from (not the USA!), no shoe shop really carries basketball shoes anymore. Last time I tried to buy some basketball shoes I went to one of the largest single storey shopping centre's in the southern hemisphere, to every sport shop and shoe shop, and hadn't been able to try on 1 pair of shoes. I went to another 4-5 shoe/sports shops with the same result. After a few days I ended up at a shop that had 2 pairs in my size. I bought the most comfortable ones, but they were cheapish and turned out not to be great for my feet.

This time I've decided to order some shoes from the US so I can actually get a decent pair. The benefit of buying locally is trying the shoes on, but this is near impossible and unfortunately is a waste of time here. The price is only 50%-60% compared to local too, so even if they really don't fit I could buy 2 pairs for roughly the cost of buying local. But I'm sure it will be fine!

I have prescription orthotic insoles for my feet and I'm up for some new ones, but first I need to get some new shoes to put them in. I've tried looking at some reviews online for shoes but they all seem to say stuff like "these are so light, I also like the colours". While I'd prefer a light shoe because I like to keep running on the court both on O and D, I'm happy to sacrifice this for a shoe that is good for my feet. I really just want a pair that are going to be good for my feet in the medical sense, everything else comes in a distant second.

Crystallas, I was hoping you may be able to give me a short list of some good basketball shoes to look at? Maybe 4-5 well designed shoes as far as supporting the feet well, not that it uses all the new technology or some other marketing hype?