Default Byron Scott sees no reason to play Russell more in the 4th

"The Lakers

Default Re: Byron Scott sees no reason to play Russell more in the 4th

There has to be something else going on behind the curtains...( I am giving B Scott the benefit of the doubt here)...

Russell must be dogging it at practice or something???

When Kobe into the NBA it was much different ( as far as his playing time)...especially with HS players going pro... but that era is long gone.....young players are expected to impact immediately..especially lottery picks.

Russell is starting...but it's weird how he sits for long stretches.....especially in the 4th/blowouts...

Byron Scott's system is detrimental to Russell. I accept that. But even with minutes DLo is passive as fucc out there. Handing the ball to someone else and running to a corner is his go-to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    "The Lakers’ clear top priority for this season should be simple: develop their young stars.

Julius Randle is a beast with the ball in his hands, but a one-handed beast who needs to work on his right hand. D'Angelo Russell has shown flashes but is trying to adapt to the speed and style of the NBA game. Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. can be pieces on a good team, eventually. The Lakers need to build that foundation.

Which is why coach Byron Scott sitting Russell in the fourth quarter of games, even blowouts, is perplexing. As were his responses when asked about it after the Lakers’ lastest blowout loss, Tuesday night to the Golden state Warriors. So Scott, is there value in playing Russell in blowouts to get him more time on the court? Mark Medina of the LA Daily News had the answer.

Nah. There’s really no reason to. At that particular time we’re down 30 [points],” Scott said. “I wanted to get Ryan [Kelly] some time and Marcelo [Huertas] as well and some other guys that haven’t played a lot.”

That would be 32-year-old Marcelo Huertas, who played the fourth quarter Tuesday while Russell sat.

This is not Gregg Popovich resting his stars to keep them fresh for the playoffs here. We are talking about a 19-year-old rookie point guard whose game is based on court vision, anticipation, and angles, a guy who has to learn how to apply those in a league where everybody is long and fast. He needs time on the court to adapt. Is he going to make mistakes? Yes. A lot of them. That’s what rookies do. If you coach them up, they learn from those mistakes and make fewer each time out. It’s a sometimes painful process, but it’s how rookies learn.

Except in Byron Scott’s world where they get benched. Because that will teach them. Meanwhile Kobe can do whatever he wants, because he was once great and that gives him carte blanche.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/11/25/...medium=twitter

translated
    "Nah. We need that pick. We are always down 30 [points], but we need to be sure” Scott said. “I wanted to get Ryan [Kelly] some time, because he is white, and Marcelo [Huertas] as well, because he is brasialian. Jeannie Buss said I have to play these guys for the PR team and I frankly don't give a fck anyway. And personally I dislike russell, he like to shoot too many threes.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    There has to be something else going on behind the curtains...( I am giving B Scott the benefit of the doubt here)...

Russell must be dogging it at practice or something???

When Kobe into the NBA it was much different ( as far as his playing time)...especially with HS players going pro... but that era is long gone.....young players are expected to impact immediately..especially lottery picks.

Russell is starting...but it's weird how he sits for long stretches.....especially in the 4th/blowouts...
    There were stories from his college days of not giving 100% in practice so could be on to something

College star

Byron just can't coach.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Russell is still lowkey having a great rookie season tho

dude is special