Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Basketball Diary

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    2nd best team in asia.
    This filo dude I know, I swear was born with a ball in his hand, we call him The Professor. He puts it through his legs, and yours while taking it to the rack.

Was going to play ball tonight, but I can feel my knees are sore just standing up, double thinking if I should rest.
    Going to do some reps of body weight squats and stretch them out later today and see if the pain goes away.

Was watching Michael Jordan tips on YouTube last night, just gives me ideas of stuff I want to focus on, also aim at getting my handle faster.
    Played a small 20 minutes of pick up with the bro yesterday against some of the local guys at the court. Pretty good sesh practiced working out of the post.

I could be a pretty good post player for my size I think, I have a solid turn around J, up & under and good pass/shot fakes. Just trying to get a spin move down and I think I'll have a decent repertoire of moves. Always room for more though

See how it goes for later, till then

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    This filo dude I know, I swear was born with a ball in his hand, we call him The Professor. He puts it through his legs, and yours while taking it to the rack.

Was going to play ball tonight, but I can feel my knees are sore just standing up, double thinking if I should rest.
    Going to do some reps of body weight squats and stretch them out later today and see if the pain goes away.

Was watching Michael Jordan tips on YouTube last night, just gives me ideas of stuff I want to focus on, also aim at getting my handle faster.
    Played a small 20 minutes of pick up with the bro yesterday against some of the local guys at the court. Pretty good sesh practiced working out of the post.

I could be a pretty good post player for my size I think, I have a solid turn around J, up & under and good pass/shot fakes. Just trying to get a spin move down and I think I'll have a decent repertoire of moves. Always room for more though

See how it goes for later, till then

nice. I'll rep you later.

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    philippino league.... tough competition?
    Dude, I've played many Philo''s and thought if they were a foot taller they could be a sg in the NBA. Such good speed and strength combo.

Took most of last week off, played social mixed bball last night which is mainly good for a laugh.
    We've been playing in the mixed league for the last 3 or so years, and we versed the only other team who have been there as long. Kinda like a rivalry game.

We started out slow, I was making excellent passes as I planned to focus on that, but my team mates just couldn't convert. Rough first half and shots weren't dropping. Finished the first half down by 12. I had 2 pts, couple of assist, 1 block and a steal. 0 turn overs.

In the second half, I came out more aggressive, looking to score. Had a nice up and under and 1, and a euro step. Our big man started hitting his mid range J, I couldn't get my shot to hit, I somehow sprained my wrist a few days before and couldn't get comfortable shooting, hence why I drove almost every time.

We finished up winning by 10. Fun game though. My knees are aching today, but started up my squat and stretch routine again, just pushed through the pain. They feel better for it. Going to do it twice a day and see how it goes.

Next looking to play Wednesday night.

Also, starting up our men's social team again after Christmas. Need an idea for new uniforms, any good suggestions are welcomed.

Until next time, laters

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    imma sophomore in highschool and last week i got cut from the team. my coach didn't tell me what i needed to work on, but i kinda now what i do. ball handling (especially left hand) and defense. I got defense just half the time i lazy which i shouldn't be so if anyone has any good dribbling drills to get my left handles crazy good, holla at ya boy.

today i just played at the ymca for the first time since getting cut. we ran a couple full court games (not the brightest competition) but i shot bad but made layups and passed really good. hopefully my passing today wasn't a fluke . people were calling me rubio

BTW, good thread op. i like the idea. ISH Fam!!
    Better Basketball has a ball handling video with like 150 different dribbling drills. You can buy it/download it/most of it may already be on youtube. I do 30 of them everyday and in 3 weeks it has vastly improved my ball handling. I can only imagine what it will be like after 6 months. It not only improves your handles, but also your passing because you hands are so much stronger and Rubio esk passes with one hand start becoming accurate. Like with anything, it takes a lot of reps, and a mindset that has really worked for me is to basically make the basketball an extension of myself or like my child. I would defend myself or my child from someone trying to take it with my life, and I try to apply the same attitude towards the basketball. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but making yourself one with the basketball is like a spiritual experience... like an artist with his paintbrush, or musician with his instrument. Also a main emphasis while dribbling is keeping the core strong. If people know they can body you up and throw you off, they will. If you remain strong however, when they body you up it feels like they are hitting a solid wall and they can't physically impose themselves. When you do the drills you should feel your core working hard.

BEAST

i went out and did my thing

/diary

Last nights game was sooo frustrating, refs were making bad calls. I had 3 clean charges, yeah my feet weren't set as I was shuffling sideways, but they were the ones where the guy was going right every time and just dropped his shoulder every time.

I've gotten into this bad habit of arguing with the ref, I really want to focus on stopping that, but when you're in the moment, it's hard.

We won the game overall though. Just a social league. Last time we played that team we won as well, best part is that they are all trash talkers, I love playing against trash talkers, I play my best games. It's like, when someone talks trash, it challengers me, get's me in the zone, anyone else like this?

So yeah, game was pretty close, half way through the second half, their centre was just talking mad shit to me. In my head I was just think, 'this is going to be fun.'

First moment between us was in the open court, he was trying to stop me at the half way, I crossed him and he just resorts to clotheslining me. Just glanced off, he stays saying stuff, so I was just like 'you won't get it off me man, you won't.'

He just kept talking crap as the game went on, I just laughed, but then I had the icing on the cake. I received the ball up top. Iso'd the guy d'ing me up top, threw a sham god dribble at him, got passed him, as I drive in first bounce, the centre talking shit steps up. I picked the ball up, euro'd to my right first, pass faked to my right, he bit so hard. I stepped left him, completely going the wrong way. Finger roll and it's good. He was speechless. I just jogged past him as he collected the ball, I just said, 'you like that aye.' I jog back up the court and his was fuming. A few seconds later the game was over.

Would've sounded like such a douche, but to me it was cool hahaha

On a finishing note, knees are feeling better. Skip and squats tonight.

Until next time, laters

Decent playground baller

did you join a team solo? if yes, how well are you playing with your team?

did you join a team solo? if yes, how well are you playing with your team?
    Nah, This team is just all friends.
    We're starting my old team back up that we disbanded 6 months ago to recover from injuries, so that's starting next year.
    Social league comp. We've been in that league awhile, won the finals 3 times.

I was looking for a new team to fit in with, but yeah, this one came up first. I play point for it, so it will be good to develop more.

Decent playground baller

ah, nice. i have nobody to join a team with, and i'm thinking about joining a league solo. the thought of it is pretty nerve racking though, since i don't know how my teammates may be

ah, nice. i have nobody to join a team with, and i'm thinking about joining a league solo. the thought of it is pretty nerve racking though, since i don't know how my teammates may be
    I thought about that for a bit, I think if the thirst to play is enough, you just have to bite the bullet.

I didn't do it purely cause I knew the team I would end up on, I would've ended up on a team with a bunch of international students, not that I have anything against them, but to play basketball with, they show no respect and all thought they were Kobe, but far from it.

I don't enjoy running up and down the court all game without getting a couple touches

Post some pictures. I'll post some pictures after we play.

^ ?

My knees have felt a lot more stable while playing lately, but unfortunately it hasn't converted into playing better. I have a feeling in time it will, but been in a slump as of late.

Played Friday night but started cramping in the lower stomach about half way through the second. Couldn't really do anything after that. Also made a crucial TO in the last couple minutes to put us down by 6. I though I saw one of our guys cutting into the middle but it was of theirs... Passed it straight to him

Then played Saturday night, pick up games to 11 for 3 hours. Played the first couple good, I was on fire, but then couldn't hit anything. Last game of the night, I struggled to even get the ball which was frustrating. I was making excellent passes, but my team mates couldn't finish them.

One of our guys went shot jacking, when his hot, it's ok, but he was ice cold.
    Meanwhile, I had the best defender on me, so I was making him work, but no one gave me the extra pass. And then on defence, I was guarding their best player, who was on fire that day too, as well as playing good help D.
    Just a frustrating night, doing everything well off the ball, but getting no where.

Sometimes wonder if I should just quit basketball.. Go back to playing Astro Turf Hockey. I was a Div. 1 and also State Champion at Hockey.
    Oh well, they say it get's toughest right before you get better. So hopefully soon I'll be due for a boost in skill

Till next time,

Decent playground baller

how can u be state champion if australia only has provinces

how can u be state champion if australia only has provinces
    Suppose you believe we actually ride Kangaroos from "province to province" too?