Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Let's say the... 8 best players in the NBA left the NBA and formed a new league

And the rest of the other 442 NBA players stayed put. Everyone else in the new league are guys that aren't quite good enough to be in the NBA.

Which league would be more popular?

Could those top 8 guys get the other league off the ground in order to actually challenge the NBA long term?

What do you think would happen short term and long term?

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Default Re: Let's say the... 8 best players in the NBA left the NBA and formed a new league

That means LeBron is in the new league... new league gets the most viewers out of the gate, and quickly turns into the league where the talent goes, thus eradicating the "old" NBA and merging into the NBA we already have now.

It's a stupid question is what i'm saying

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Let's say the... 8 best players in the NBA left the NBA and formed a new league

How many of the top eight guys are going to be worth watching in eight years?

The nba would stay more popular than any startup just off built in fan base and new stars coming up in a new league not having the same credibility as the public gives nba stars.

op doesn't understand brand loyalty

It's hard to say, I'd imagine fans would be torn between the 2. The top 8 guys would be looking like the globetrotters in a lesser league and maybe in turn be more fun to watch. If there was going to be a mass exodus to the new league it would have to happen early in its life or maybe it would die out quick. What if several of those 8 get hurt? There would be a ton riding on those 8 guys' backs.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    op doesn't understand brand loyalty
    I asked a question to generate discussion. I never stated my position. You're a retard, as usual.

For the sake of discussion, yes, fans will watch and it will generate revenue

The men's division would be split down the middle, so the WNBA would be the new powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    I asked a question to generate discussion. I never stated my position. You're a retard, as usual.
    that doesn't change what i said.

There are infrastructures that aren't easy to get like TV deals, contracts, stadiums, local regulations, etc. They have to get investors who are willing to lose money for a long long time and even then the chance is very tiny the company would ever be profitable. This new league will not get any future stars playing since the NBA will make sure no one goes there. NBA has the money, the infrastructures, etc. Not to mention you'd essentially be going up against 30 billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    There are infrastructures that aren't easy to get like TV deals, contracts, stadiums, local regulations, etc. They have to get investors who are willing to lose money for a long long time and even then the chance is very tiny the company would ever be profitable. This new league will not get any future stars playing since the NBA will make sure no one goes there. NBA has the money, the infrastructures, etc. Not to mention you'd essentially be going up against 30 billionaires.
    OP needs to watch Ballers.

i don't think his pea brain considered that NBA has billion dollar deals in place for years with broadcasting stations.

but 8 players are going to circumvent billion dollar legal agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    OP needs to watch Ballers.

i don't think his pea brain considered that NBA has billion dollar deals in place for years with broadcasting stations.

but 8 players are going to circumvent billion dollar legal agreements.
    This.

What the hell was OP thinking??

Local High School Star

Most of the top 8 players in the league are highly unlikable. It would probably be a net negative to lose the talent, but unlike most other eras, we'd be getting rid of a bunch of weak minded kind of annoying drama queens.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

A group as large as 8 people would never have the guts to try this considering they would have to sacrifice millions to get off the ground, and wouldnt even be back to even by the time their careers are over.

I gotta admit it would be kinda fun watching 8 teams, each with 1 superstar and 11 scrubs, battle it out.

The NBA without it's 8 best (maybe more like 10-20) players would be one of the worst basketball organizations in the world.

NBA mostly consists of tall or freak athletes that have little to no basketball skills.