Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Default Re: Defense vs. Offense

Let me ask a question.... who is the better coach don nelson and mike dantoni or larry brown and greg popovich?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    of course it can be argued and their are exceptions. i was generally speaking about offense vs defense at the elite levels proposed in the hypothetical.
    For sure.

So, getting back to '97 bulls' illustration of Magic/Pippen, all things being the same, why would you take Magic? I know why I'd take MJ, but not sure I got to see your point of view..or really understood it correctly. I'm genuinely interested. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Let me ask a question.... who is the better coach don nelson and mike dantoni or larry brown and greg popovich?
    Really depends on the situation, but the choice is an obvious one, due to success:

Larry Brown and Gregg Popovich.

Better question, who's better for offense vs defense:

Rick Adelman or Rick Carlisle ?

Closer battle...

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Better question, who's better for offense vs defense:

Rick Adelman or Rick Carlisle ?

Closer battle...
    I gotta go with carlisle. He's donne a relatively good job where ever he's gone. But I think its close. I used brown/pop vs dantoni/nelson because they have contrasting philosophies. Nelson and dantoni have the approach that they're gonna outscore their opposiition, while brown and pop stress defense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    For sure.

So, getting back to '97 bulls' illustration of Magic/Pippen, all things being the same, why would you take Magic? I know why I'd take MJ, but not sure I got to see your point of view..or really understood it correctly. I'm genuinely interested. Thanks in advance.
    Simply put, I think Magic was just a far superior player. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but I'm tired and don't want to write out in depth why I feel Magic was better.

I've never seen a player make the other players better to the extent magic did.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    This even further proves that elite individual offense beats elite individual defense by showing that team defense is more valuable than team offense[which is why the defensive coaches are better.. they orchestrate the team defense].

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    This even further proves that elite individual offense beats elite individual defense by showing that team defense is more valuable than team offense[which is why the defensive coaches are better.. they orchestrate the team defense].
    bingo.

3-time NBA All-Star

Really depends on the situation, but the choice is an obvious one, due to success:

Larry Brown and Gregg Popovich.
    defensive teams are more likely going to win in their first year than offensive teams but offensive teams are more consistent in winning more games every year. and gregg really is a good offensive coach. There are lots of defensive coaches that failed too like jvg. In fact the best defensive team chicago,miami lost to a lesser defensive team but better offensively. You still need both when it comes to coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    defensive teams are more likely going to win in their first year than offensive teams but offensive teams are more consistent in winning more games every year. and gregg really is a good offensive coach. There are lots of defensive coaches that failed too like jvg. In fact the best defensive team chicago,miami lost to a lesser defensive team but better offensively. You still need both when it comes to coaches.
    Well that's right. You need balance on both sides, really.

That's why Phil Jackson has 11 rings and Red Auerbach has 9 rings on their resume. They had a great influence on both sides of the floor.

Also, they had players that were great at their roles for both sides and for one side of the court as well.

Balance is the key. Although, that's not exactly the premise of this thread, per se.

3-time NBA All-Star

Well that's right. You need balance on both sides, really.

That's why Phil Jackson has 11 rings and Red Auerbach has 9 rings on their resume. They had a great influence on both sides of the floor.

Also, they had players that were great at their roles for both sides and for one side of the court as well.

Balance is the key. Although, that's not exactly the premise of this thread, per se.
    yah but i think if i have to chose between offense and defense, I would still go with offense IMO. I think those suns could be better if they only had a center like chandler. Those 2010 suns team were pretty good and I think they could have done better if they have a better center than an injured lopez. Too bad they have a cheap owner.