Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Any "tall" people feel stereotyped?

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I have to say I am one of the stereo typers. I'm 5'9" with short arms and I play with 15-20 guys every week and two or three of those guys are domanant rebounders. We have several guys who are over 6'4" and were gaurds in highschool. The problem is when these guys play gaurd its pretty hard to win because the other teams out rebound and end up getting lots of points off rebounds
    It just takes a lot of effort to keep those guys off the boards. constant boxing out. It's the only way. and boxing out far from the rim. If you are anywhere near the rim, any long board will sail right over your head if you aren't like 6'3 or taller.

Im 6'1 190(in shape) and considered "tall" against the people I normally play. They've seen me play and know that I can dribble and shoot so I never get that problem. It's to the point to where they tell me to stay behind the 3 point line. It's when I play with strangers I get that problem. And everytime, the ppl under 5'8" who are "phenomenal PG's that can shoot" will turn the ball over constantly and shoot horrid jumpers whenever they manage to not turn it over. To remedy that, I just wait till I grab a defensive rebound and go coast to coast and pull up for an NBA range 3 and hit nothing but net. I'll do it about 2 more times to prove that my shot wasn't a fluke, and sometimes, they still tell me to get inside and post up and hog the ball.

Banned

I get that all the time. I'm better inside anyway, but it's kind of useless when you don't have guys that are willing to dump it down to you. So often times, I take the ball up myself if I get the rebound. I'm 6'4 by the way.

I'm a 6' PG, so I'm usually one of the the shortest guys on the court.

Either way I work out of the post sometimes anyway, so I don't mind doing my thing down there if I'm one of the taller people every once in a while.

I do feel for taller guys that get stereotyped. Despite this, the best b-ball players I play with are the 6'5 Dirk Nowitzki types. They score at will. They can shoot over people who are quick enough to guard them or they drive past anyone as tall as them.

Whenever I beat my man off the dribble I'm always looking to make the pass down low to the bigs. I rarely pass out on the perimeter.
    Last edited by Pushxx; 10-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Not airballing my layups anymore

It does bother me when the tallest guys on the court want to play on the wing or run the point, tbh. A couple of times sure, mix it up, but every time down the court? You have a clear advantage and aren't using it. Odds are that's not the best way to help your team. And really, having and displaying versatility like that is far more impressive than showing off your wing skills.

I have a friend who's a 6-4, 6-5 jumpshooter, a really good jumpshooter.....but sometimes I just want to grab him like, "GO INSIDE, YOU'VE GOT GOT 3 INCHES ON YOUR MAN!"

Another friend who's like 6-3 and is usually one of the best shooters and ballhandlers on the court, but when he's got a smaller guy on him he goes to the block everytime and shoots right over him. That's the right way to play IMO

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by percolator
    It does bother me when the tallest guys on the court want to play on the wing or run the point, tbh. A couple of times sure, mix it up, but every time down the court? You have a clear advantage and aren't using it. Odds are that's not the best way to help your team. And really, having and displaying versatility like that is far more impressive than showing off your wing skills.

I have a friend who's a 6-4, 6-5 jumpshooter, a really good jumpshooter.....but sometimes I just want to grab him like, "GO INSIDE, YOU'VE GOT GOT 3 INCHES ON YOUR MAN!"

Another friend who's like 6-3 and is usually one of the best shooters and ballhandlers on the court, but when he's got a smaller guy on him he goes to the block everytime and shoots right over him. That's the right way to play IMO
    At 6'3''-6'4'' I've haven't found perfecting play in the post to be a good allocation of practice time post-high school. And yes, that's a clear fault in my game. I could surely find some time to develop my post game, but I've just never been convinced of when I'd actually use it.

In my case, I feel posting up would nullify a lot of the advantages I house to begin with. Against similarly sized opponents, I'd likely get out-muscled down low (I weigh 170 pounds). The likelihood of me gaining a step on them from the perimeter far exceeds the chance of me being productive in the post.

Further, even when being guarded by a smaller opponent, attempting to post up each time down the floor just seems to complicate the process. Suddenly, my ability to perform hinges on a teammate's willingness to deliver an accurate post entry and my opponent's collective willingness to collapse like banshees and hack the bejesus out of me if I happen to make a solid post maneuver. I'd be ten times more effective against an undersized defender by creating separation and facing him up from 15-17 feet. I've found it's much easier to finish under duress (and harder for the opposing team to effectively foul me) when I'm coming into the paint with a running start, as opposed to after completing a drop step in the post.

And to be clear, I'll readily admit I'd be best-served if I was able to be effective out of the post as well as in the post. However, 6'3'', to me, is clearly a guard size. I'm not gumpy, I'm not uncoordinated, I'm not slow, I'm not awkward, and I can jump a little. That's not to say those qualities are only found in post players. Rather, I'm saying why limit myself to trying to post my man up all game and attempting to utilize portions of my game that are weaker than the rest? What's better than an aggressive and skilled 5'11'' guard? I'd say an aggressive and skilled 6'3'' guard. I guess what I'm saying is my speed, shooting, handling, and ability to slash are my advantages, so I use them.

All that said, I totally agree it's in every player's best interest to be as versatile as possible, so my infantile post game is a clear shortcoming in my ability.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Yeah, I get this a lot, although since my country's a very short one, it doesn't go totally without reason. However, I do get pissed when I'm playing in the university gym with some team B players or human kinetics majors who are taller than me and they STILL put me in the middle, as if they're too scared to scratch and claw in the paint. I may be still one of the taller ones, but dayum, I'm not the tall, awkward, "no-handles" (semi-)big.

Quote Originally Posted by percolator
    It does bother me when the tallest guys on the court want to play on the wing or run the point, tbh. A couple of times sure, mix it up, but every time down the court? You have a clear advantage and aren't using it.
    I feel you for sure, but there's nothing we all hate more than someone who tries to do something they aren't good at on the court.

I think it bothers us that people aren't using a height advantage because we'd all like to have that extra height ourselves to use.

National High School Star

i'm 5'7, im a combo guard, i am usually one of the shorter players, but im more lke baron davis. I am uniquely solid and strong for my size and often post up and box out much taller players. You'd be surprised how many over the back fouls i draw I dont rely on height at all, but use an array of fakes and turn arounds and up and unders to get to the rim :) Also having a strong core is a must.

@RUSH it sounds to be like your playing with a bunch of douchbags. I recognize people skills very quickly, if i know you can hit the shots, id be looking for you, even with some dribble penitration dishouts, then setting the screen for the open J