Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Feels like we have cooled on Jokic and im not sure why.

20/11/8....same record as the Warriors. Still shooting threes, posting up, running the floor and:

With more assists than any bigman I can think of since Wilt in the 60s when he decided to lead the league in assists.

I dont guess hes gonna win MVP or get many first place votes with Giannis and Harden out there but....I feel like his name needs to be mentioned a little more.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Feels like we have cooled on Jokic and im not sure why.

as the playoffs near, people might be realizing that they don't have a real #2 or players with any proven experience

They look like a RS team that needs another year or 2 of seasoning

I have learned to appreciate him. He's fun to watch.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

They certainly do...but your team not being ready never stopped stars from getting individual props especially when the team is winning an an unexpected level.

Granted...hes not spectacular in the eyes of a lot of fans. Hes spectacular to me but I still watch clips of Bill Walton and Birds two man game.

They may be playoff fodder like those 60 win Hawks recently but those Hawks didnt have a real star.

Feels like a team doing this well with a borderline MVP level player would get a little more talk. At least with Toronto we have the last couple years of them being great and not mattering to justify the "Meh...." status they get from fans.

Nuggets just dont have a hook to reel in public attention.

I think the general public has come to understand just how good he is, but as you said, a lot of people feel that this team has a feel the same way as that Hawks team. I fully understand where these people are coming from, because there best player is a pass-first guy and they don't really have that closer of sorts, coupled with the lack of playoff experience.

This Denver team is going to turn a lot of heads in the playoffs though. There depth and style of offence ran through Jokic will take them a long way. Denver is also an immensely tough place to play, so getting that first seed will do wonders for them. I see them getting to the WCF against the Warriors, and if they have home court, I don't think they will take out a team like that just yet, but they will definitely earn that respect for years to come.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

It's beyond underrated what he's done this season. If any other superstar was leading there team to that kinda record without another superstar they'd probably be the favorite for the MVP. Giannis absolutely deserves MVP over Jokic, but outside of him and maybe Harden Jokic has a better case than anybody. All the injuries, no other superstar, has had Denver on pace with GS. I just don't think people watch the Denver Nuggets really.

What he's doing at C is insane. I say it every time but he can make every pass a PG can. In transition, kicking it out, out of the post, dribble hands offs, hitting cuts, insane court long outlet passes, directs traffic. No look passes. The fact he's become more aggressive as a scorer and is now putting up 20 points a night makes him an absolute superstar.

Maybe because the Nuggets have zero playoff experience, so everyone knows there odds in the playoffs aren't great and there likely to flop? Still 2 years away.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I was a big Melo fan, but Jokic this season is better than Melo ever was and I think there'd be alot of Nuggets fans who would agree with that.

Because theyre the Raptors of the West lol. They'll lose to Utah in 1st round and we'll forget about them (or never remember) again

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    Because theyre the Raptors of the West lol. They'll lose to Utah in 1st round and we'll forget about them (or never remember) again
    How is this even a relevant comparison? This is the youngest team in the NBA with a core that is growing and getting better together year after year. Even if they do flop this year, the case of them getting over that hump is going to become more real every year. Like was stated earlier, they are at least two years away from being legitimate championship contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    How is this even a relevant comparison? This is the youngest team in the NBA with a core that is growing and getting better together year after year. Even if they do flop this year, the case of them getting over that hump is going to become more real every year. Like was stated earlier, they are at least two years away from being legitimate championship contenders.
    Buddy I feel sorry for you if you think Denver will ever be legit contenders.....

Good college starter

Jokic looks like the Pillsbury doughboy and does not appeal to an obvious demographic marketing-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    It's beyond underrated what he's done this season. If any other superstar was leading there team to that kinda record without another superstar they'd probably be the favorite for the MVP. Giannis absolutely deserves MVP over Jokic, but outside of him and maybe Harden Jokic has a better case than anybody. All the injuries, no other superstar, has had Denver on pace with GS. I just don't think people watch the Denver Nuggets really.

What he's doing at C is insane. I say it every time but he can make every pass a PG can. In transition, kicking it out, out of the post, dribble hands offs, hitting cuts, insane court long outlet passes, directs traffic. No look passes. The fact he's become more aggressive as a scorer and is now putting up 20 points a night makes him an absolute superstar.

Maybe because the Nuggets have zero playoff experience, so everyone knows there odds in the playoffs aren't great and there likely to flop? Still 2 years away.
    Is it though? He's constantly been talked about in the 2nd tier of MVP candidates (Harden and Giannis are the only 1st tier) with the likes of Curry, Embiid, George.

I love watching Jokic. One of the most unique players in a very long time. Then you combine that with a coach who runs a system that utilizes a lot of cuts and off ball movement and it's a sight to watch.

Do you think anyone on the current team has a legitimate shot at becoming a second star? By that I mean superstar or just below that. It seems, IMO but I don't watch a ton of Denver games, like Murray and Harris don't really have that potential to become the second best players on a championship team but I'm not sure. Porter could potentially be that but he is a complete unknown.

IDK...it's hard to evaluate since Jokic is just so unique where he seems like he can be the best player on a championship team but doing so in a vastly different way than most teams.
    Last edited by FireDavidKahn; 03-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Jokic is still the man but as 3ball said there's no legit number 2 so the Nuggets hype is dying down as playoffs are approaching. Lets see if we're proven wrong.

And Jokic is pretty marketable tbh with his nonchalant slothness ^

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    as the playoffs near, people might be realizing that they don't have a real #2 or players with any proven experience

They look like a RS team that needs another year or 2 of seasoning
    How would you know? You haven't watched basketball in years, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Jokic is still the man but as 3ball said there's no legit number 2 so the Nuggets hype is dying down as playoffs are approaching. Lets see if we're proven wrong.

And Jokic is pretty marketable tbh with his nonchalant slothness ^
    But this Nuggets team isn't built using the traditional model. They have one of the most unique and different superstars (and yes Jokic is pretty much oin that tier at this point) that the NBA has seen in a very long time. The Nuggets FO has also done an absolute tremendous job in surrounding him with good, young depth.

Having your team with 2-3 superstars is kinda a tried and true method but when your team from top to bottom has the depth that Denver has along with Jokic seemingly being able to maximize the production of everyone you end up with situations where Denver will always at least have a player on the floor who can exploit the other team.

Contrast that with say Lebron's Heat. If 2 of Lebron, Wade or Bosh didn't play well then there wasn't much depth to pick up the slack (inb4 Allen's shot...I'm talking overall not a couple instances). If Jokic is stinking it up he still can get others involved while kinda being irrelevant on the scoring end. They have Millsap, Harris, Murray, Barton, Beasley plus other solid contributors on the bench.

Instead of other stars they have very good starters/role players who are all around good instead of just specializing in shooting or defense or things like that