Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Do you guys think Eric Gordon will still be a Star?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    I don't think anyone would argue that Gordon has been producing to the level relative to his pay.

However, now that he is finally healthy and back on the court playing, I think we should give it to the end of this season to determine whether he can ever warrant that kind of deal.
    I think that verdict is in. He'd have to become a legit all nba team player to make his pay worth it.

Kevin Martin is making 6.5 million a year. There is no way that Gordon could ever be worth more than double what Martin makes.

He'd have to take the leap to be on the level of a Chris Paul or Westbrook to warrant that kind of pay. And that isn't happening.

IMO, he doesn't have what it takes. His attitude is just not conducive to getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I think that verdict is in. He'd have to become a legit all nba team player to make his pay worth it.

Kevin Martin is making 6.5 million a year. There is no way that Gordon could ever be worth more than double what Martin makes.

He'd have to take the leap to be on the level of a Chris Paul or Westbrook to warrant that kind of pay. And that isn't happening.
    The reason Martin is getting paid significantly less than Gordon though, is due largely in part to age. Martin is six years older then Gordon, and when he was Gordon's age he signed a 5 year 55 million dollar extension (not a far cry from the deal Gordon was given)

Gordon was given that max deal based largely on potential, potential he has yet to fulfill, but I wouldn't say he necessarily has to become Chris Paul in order to warrant the contract.

If he were to say average 70+ games a season over the next 3 seasons, while averaging 22-23 ppg, 4 apg, and 3 rpg on good efficiency while playing solid defense...I would say the contract ultimately ends up being a reasonable deal even considering the off-year last season.

Now, is all that likely? Many would say not. But I wouldn't say it's completely out of the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    The reason Martin is getting paid significantly less than Gordon though, is due largely in part to age. Martin is six years older then Gordon, and when he was Gordon's age he signed a 5 year 55 million dollar extension (not a far cry from the deal Gordon was given)

Gordon was given that max deal based largely on potential, potential he has yet to fulfill, but I wouldn't say he necessarily has to become Chris Paul in order to warrant the contract.

If he were to say average 70+ games a season over the next 3 seasons, while averaging 22-23 ppg, 4 apg, and 3 rpg on good efficiency while playing solid defense...I would say the contract ultimately ends up being a reasonable deal even considering the off-year last season.

Now, is all that likely? Many would say not. But I wouldn't say it's completely out of the realm of possibility.
    Exactly...on potential. Potential he has yet to fulfill. Martin is a good example because to date...Gordon has been no better at any point in his career.

How is he going to put up those numbers while playing on this team also? I don't think there will be enough shots for him to get that...especially when Andersen comes back and with Davis improving constantly...I just doubt giving a lot of shots to a player that isn't that efficient is going to happen.

It was a terrible contract at the time...and looks even worse now given what a better situation the Pelicans would be in if Gordon simply wasn't on this team.

He is worth something around 5 to 7 million a year based on his play to date.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    IMO, he doesn't have what it takes. His attitude is just not conducive to getting it done.
    Neither is his play. He could maybe be the 3rd best player on a contending team if the other two are legit all nba performers.

Neither is his play. He could maybe be the 3rd best player on a contending team if the other two are legit all nba performers.
    Honestly, he's the kind of guy I don't want in my locker room at all.

This simply isn't true. In a league where Gordon Hayward is turning down $50 mil to hold out for max; you are not going to sign a 22 year old who is a knockdown shooter and a plus defender for that price-tag.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    This simply isn't true. In a league where Gordon Hayward is turning down $50 mil to hold out for max; you are not going to sign a 22 year old who is a knockdown shooter and a plus defender for that price-tag.
    You mean the 56 games he was that? He simply hasn't do enough to warrant anything more than what the likes of kevin martin gets.

Dude has missed a ton of games. Seems to have a bad attitude...and is a 18/3/3 player for his career to date.

He's also 25 now...not 22.

National High School Star b0bab0i's Avatar

Exactly...on potential. Potential he has yet to fulfill. Martin is a good example because to date...Gordon has been no better at any point in his career.

How is he going to put up those numbers while playing on this team also? I don't think there will be enough shots for him to get that...especially when Andersen comes back and with Davis improving constantly...I just doubt giving a lot of shots to a player that isn't that efficient is going to happen.

It was a terrible contract at the time...and looks even worse now given what a better situation the Pelicans would be in if Gordon simply wasn't on this team.

It's their own fault they matched the Suns offer. EJ even told NO not to match the offer since he didnt' want to play for them.