Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LilBTheBasedGod
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Penny Hardaway talks handchecking & Kobe Bryant vs Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    you a Laker fan ??..why you got worm in your avy???

avy bet?....

Peny's rookie season was 93-94, and he didnt Prime until the following 95 season. Nice try though, attempting to skew it so it seemed he played in the early 90's.

Also @ you trying to turn the Mullin point into a
    "white" issue. Talk about grasping at thin air. It's so pathetic it's funny.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    It definitely makes it harder, and for a much better game, if you're playing against someone that hand checks. It forces me to play harder and to become more creative as to how I'm going to score. So I always say, it there was hand checking today, players like Kobe would technically be better than their versions today, even if they score a couple of points less.
    Also the level of athleticism, team defense and defensive intensity are unparalled in today's game

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Penny played in the mid-late 90's, NOT the 80's or early 90's.

You guys trying to tell me Chris Mullin can average 26-27 PPG on 50-54% shooting and Kobe can't? LOL.
    Yeah, actually I am. Mullin was a much better shooter and, more importantly, much smarter player than Kobe. Kobe is the type of player who would average 47-50% shooting in that era regardless of whether he was averaging 25 ppg or 30 ppg, just like how he shoots 44-46% in this era regardless of volume. He's just a dumb player, is all.

Peny's rookie season was 93-94, and he didnt Prime until the following 95 season. Nice try though, attempting to skew it so it seemed he played in the early 90's.

Also @ you trying to turn the Mullin point into a
    "white" issue. Talk about grasping at thin air. It's so pathetic it's funny.
    I clearly stated that he came into the league in 93, compared to you who clearly knew he came in in 93, yet to make sound as if he came in much later you wrote that he came in the mid to late 90s. Not only that, but then you respond by saying he came into the league 93-94, with the 94 bolded, almost trying to make the 93 invisible.

And yes, I do believe it's a white issue you have with Mullin. I guarantee you that if he was a black player, you would have not brought him up in a dismissive tone to bring down that era.

And yes, I find it funny that in 10 years or so there are going to be teenagers using Nash, Gasol, and Manu to bring down this era, even though they are ignorant of their games.

Edit: Again, reading comprehension so low. I mean, I write that Penny came into the league in 93, and you respond by saying that I'm trying to make it seem as if he came in earlier than that.
    Last edited by jstern; 04-05-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Penny played maybe 2 MONTHS of his entire career in the 93, it is IRRELEVANT because Penny mentioned his PRIME which occured in 95 on.

You have NO basis for saying Mullin was brought up because he was white, he was brought up because he put up great numbers when he was a far far, FAR inferior player to Kobe.

Oh let me guess, you're trying to turn it into a race issue because you have NO viable counterargument based on the BASKETBALL facts.

Keep talking out of your a$$ though, but what should I expect from someone who has a Bird avatar based on youtube clips.
    Last edited by eliteballer; 04-05-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by dynasty1978
    Whoever says hand-checking in the 2000s is dead obviously aren't watching the games. Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest, Raja Bell, Shane B, Brewer, etc.,.....you're gonna tell me that it's pure footspeed that allows them to defend? Please, handchecking is alive and well.

Now body checks and excessive contact is a different story, that was the trademark of 90s ball....doesn't mean that defenses were better. The caliber of D played by Larry Brown's Pistons and Doc's Celts is on par or greater than the Knicks, Pistons, and Heat defenses of the 90s.
    Bowen played d with his arms on his side. What that guy did in this era is ****ing amazing. Prime Bowen would have caused madness in the past. Imagine Bowen guarding Kobe with the rules of old. No way Kobe shoots over 35% against him.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Mullin just made the HOF, so his name is heard and read more now than since he retired.

I bet Rodman's name comes up a lot more this week than anytime since he retired also.

Great college starter

You guys trying to tell me Chris Mullin can average 26-27 PPG on 50-54% shooting and Kobe can't? LOL.
    I have a feeling all of these Kobestans are one ****ing dude with a hundred accounts. ****!
    No need to disrespect one of the greatest shooters of all time to bring up Kobe. Mullin has been sick since HS. Sick, sick shot.

Penny played maybe 2 MONTHS of his entire career in the 93, it is IRRELEVANT because Penny mentioned his PRIME which occured in 95 on.

You have NO basis for saying Mullin was brought up because he was white, he was brought up because he put up great numbers when he was a far far, FAR inferior player to Kobe.

Oh let me guess, you're trying to turn it into a race issue because you have NO viable counterargument based on the BASKETBALL facts.

Keep talking out of your a$$ though, but what should I expect from someone who has a Bird avatar based on youtube clips.
    Hahah, you lose. Trying so hard not to count his early years, from making it seem as if he came into the league in the mid to late 90s, and then changing it saying that you're talking about his prime. Why not mention prime from the beginning then? Why bold the 94? And yes, the race issue is an issue that Kobe trolls constantly use, and I'm willing to bet that's why you brought him up in such a dismissive tone, as if he was some mediocre player. Don't know what you meant about youtube clips.

Have to go, but will be back at 8.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Bowen played d with his arms on his side. What that guy did in this era is ****ing amazing. Prime Bowen would have caused madness in the past. Imagine Bowen guarding Kobe with the rules of old. No way Kobe shoots over 35% against him.
    Thats why kobe dropped 33 ppg 43% in 2003 on bowen and 27 ppg 47% in 2004 on bowen all while in the handchecking era(rule wasn't abolished til 05).

3-time NBA All-Star

Mullin would still avg great numbers in today's game... Nash does it and has no athleticism whatsoever.. Nash shoots better than any of the other perimeter superstars and has no advantages but his superior skill level.. He also has to make all his teammates better... Anyone who believes Mullin couldn't avg 26 on 50% plus shooting has just not watched that guy play..

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Kobe averaged just 40% shooting against Bowen for his career prior to the handcheck rules being implemented in 2006.

you know, Kobe would average the same poor percentage in the 80's or the 90's because it's simply his game. he is like that. i really hope you will be able to see a hundred of Mullin games then you will understand why he was on the dream team I and why he is a top 10 forward.

look at lakers' games from 02-03. you can easily feel that he wanted to be the number one. and to be frank, the lakers played bad basketball, he had his 30pts game but it costs the title. when you have someone who is the absolute offensive weaping bringing 30pts every night on 60%, just play smart. something kobe bryant never did until 2008.

a second year penny hardaway was even a more mature player than a 10years kobe.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91