Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    NBA Finals

Default Re: Cavs interested in making David Blatt their next head coach?

Please choose Blatt

No idea if this is reliable:

Sports Update @MySportsUpdate

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Depends on what the Cavs' long term plan is, but the more I think about it, the more I think their priorities would be to select someone who:
    - is Embiid-friendly, giving him opportunities to blossom
    - is defensive minded
    - stresses a team game
    - has enough authority to be able to limit shotjacking by Kyrie and Dion and force them to play at least a bit harder on defense without causing a war

Not sure who would tick all the boxes.
    id think hollins ticks the first two, considering how post up orientated, and defensive minded the grizzles were. and gentry ticks the last two. either of them would be good.

i like all the names linked with the job (aside from VDN obviously), although id be a bit wary that kyrie and dion wouldnt really respect blatt, since he has no nba experience.

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    You have to remember though that Blatt's whole coaching is on defense and stopping penetration and having guards that defend.

None of that happens in the NBA, where with the rules and refs, and just style of the game there is almost zero defense. Even these days in the NBA finals there is basically zero defense for the most part.

So basically every single thing Blatt does or knows as a coach is complete useless and gone from his style and system in the NBA. Which is totally defense based, despite what clowns at ESPN are claiming in saying he's an offensive guru.

So none of anything that teams like Russia or Maccabi did is going to work in an NBA team. It's simply impossible to do that in the NBA.

The closest thing to it would be the Bulls with Thibodeau, which would be his most similar coaching comparison, but the Cavs do not have the players like that for such a style, and someone like Irving is a horrific defender, even by NBA point guard standards.

And even then, what the Bulls do, only works to a certain point because of the NBA rules. Every year they eventually can't go past a certain point because playing as a defense first team isn't going to work in the NBA, which is fully an offense based league.

So the style he has is not what works in the NBA, and the players he has won't even work for his style, if he does coach the Cavs.

So you could not make any correlation to Maccabi, nor anything like that, which is what everyone is trying to do.
    You forget one thing, PGs in NBA are mostly scorers and aren't good at running the offense and Blatt being a great defensive coach will find a way to make them to be even worse at it.

When it comes to offense I think his style is better for NBA rules because he likes to play with athletic, undersized players.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Blatt actually hates 7 footers with an extreme passion. He only likes incredibly mobile and agile centers. Other than that, he strictly uses power forwards, even undersized power forwards at the 5 position.

He also often uses shooting guards and small forwards at the power forward position.

Using NBA slow, stiff, non athletic can't play any defense NBA 7 footers will be one of the things he will have to adjust to, and it would be one of the things he would hate the most about coaching in the NBA.

Of all the coaches that absolutely HATE a 7 footer the most, he is #1. Hell, even normal 6-10 guys, by normal I mean 6-10 with average power forward starter NBA athleticism, would be a guy he would usually not want to play because they are too slow for his liking.
    He can always trade players or sign some players from Europe like Hines so to play C.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    You forget one thing, PGs in NBA are mostly scorers and aren't good at running the offense and Blatt being a great defensive coach will find a way to make them to be even worse at it.

When it comes to offense I think his style is better for NBA rules because he likes to play with athletic, undersized players.

He can always trade players or sign some players from Europe like Hines so to play C.
    No, because NBA rules prevent that. NBA rules prevent changing the way any NBA point guard plays. Blatt will have no effect on that. Which is my point.

He won't be able to bring in a a bunch of 6-8 and 6-9 centers, because he wont be allowed to also be the GM of the Cavs. NBA teams don't let coaches do that, like they do in European teams. Which is my point about how he never did well in any of the teams that he did not build himself.

But he has a long contract so maybe the Cavs already expecting to be terrible for a long time and they are prepared for it.