Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: OJ Mayo asking Suns for $10Million a year

I'd be saddened if he actually got that contract.

Even though the team is quite lacking at SG in terms of depth (Dudley is much more of a 3 and Shannon Brown hasn't been resigned afaik), that's far too much.

I'll take him at 8

Quote Originally Posted by ncrizzle
    He was a starter his first 2 years and averaged 18ppg. But when the grizz acquired Tony Allen, he really changed the mentality of the team. We became the Grit n Grind ruthless defensive team that we are. TA gave us much needed energy on D, and OJ became our 6th man who sparked the bench. OJ logged more minutes than TA and was in the game when it mattered a lot of the time. When u have Gay, Zbo, and Gasol in the starting 5, there are not as many points to go around. So letting him come off the bench allowed him to get his points while letting the team come out with the defensive intensity with TA starting.
    The 6th man role is important don't get me wrong. He did pretty well as that sparker role, but I still think he presents problems and isn't worth 10 million at all. I mean, I remember the playoffs last year where he just didn't play well.

Local reports are saying that he left Phoenix without a formal offer from the Suns. If true, good on them for not offering him a deal like he wanted. I would assume they told him to try and find that deal elsewhere, and when he doesn't, he'll probably come back.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Yes, but 2 years of MLE and one year Max for Lin is overpaid.

I hear Mayo jerseys are selling like crazy in China.
    The difference is Lin is actually getting that money. Oj Mayo is not. Continue spinning Lin deal tho because I really really really, just really like seeing Lin play.

Not airballing my layups anymore LOGoods7's Avatar

Beasley's contract is the most I'd give him.....

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrife
    I'll take him at 8
    Why should he get that??? Look what Lou Williams got and go in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LOGoods7
    Beasley's contract is the most I'd give him.....
    That's the feeling I get as well. I think they'd go 6-7 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    The difference is Lin is actually getting that money. Oj Mayo is not. Continue spinning Lin deal tho because I really really really, just really like seeing Lin play.
    Aw........you mad GOBB? You seem mad........don't cry.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    OJ Mayo playoff statistics: 9ppg, 3,5rpg, 2apg, 2topg, 27% shooting

He was horrible in the playoffs, but mainly because he was playing backup PG a lot of the time bc of our lack of depth then. Oj has horrible handles and couldnt even bring the ball up the fvcking court. He should never be the primary ball handler. He put up 20 points in game 2 and then vanished the rest of the series. The grizz lost because our bench got manhandled by the clippers bench. Bledsoe was all over OJ forcing him into a turnover or taking a horrible shot. He is better than what he showed in last years playoffs. Still not worth 10mill or even 8 mill a year...

lol I'd go 6.5m max. I'd honestly just rather save the cap space and resign Shannon Brown. Brown would probably produce similar numbers to Mayo as a starter, but cost less money and has even more upside. Brown is easily one of the most athletic players in the league, he just has a terrible shot selection. He played pretty well though last year when he was given more minutes. I'd rather keep him and try to re-sign Michael Redd for cheap. Get them on 1-2 year contracts if possible, and if we need an upgrade at SG within the next year or two then it's all good.
    Last edited by wagexslave; 07-16-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

He might as well ask for it. Probably won't get it but that's a bad team being run on the cheap, so if he goes there he's not going to win anything. And if you aren't going to be winning then make them pay you more than anyone else.

Side question: Ae fans in Phoenix upset that their team has no star and no one that looks like they can ever be a franchise player?

Quote Originally Posted by wagexslave
    lol I'd go 6.5m max. I'd honestly just rather save the cap space and resign Shannon Brown. Brown would probably produce similar numbers as Mayo as a starter, but cost less money and has even more upside. Brown is easily one of the most athletic players in the league, he just has a terrible shot selection. He played pretty well though last year when he was given more minutes. I'd rather keep him and try to re-sign Michael Redd for cheap. Get them on 1-2 year contracts if possible, and if we need an upgrade at SG within the next year or two then it's all good.
    Agreed. Suns have all the leverage here, because they don't HAVE to sign him, and it doesn't appear as though Mayo is in incredibley high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rab
    Agreed. Suns have all the leverage here, because they don't HAVE to sign him, and it doesn't appear as though Mayo is in incredibley high demand.

He's not getting 10 mil, Suns have absolutely all the leverage, he's an idiot for having waited this long and now making ludicrous demands. Suns can tell him to kick rocks and nobody else is going to offer him more than $6 mil a year.

Supposedly Suns are now looking at Courtney Lee and re-upping Brown or possibly Leandro Barbosa as depth.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    He might as well ask for it. Probably won't get it but that's a bad team being run on the cheap, so if he goes there he's not going to win anything. And if you aren't going to be winning then make them pay you more than anyone else.

Side question: Ae fans in Phoenix upset that their team has no star and no one that looks like they can ever be a franchise player?
    Somewhat.

Mind you, as long as the team is more worried about making the playoffs barely and heavily recruiting a player like Robin Lopez to stay, it won't change.

Very high picks like what the Thunder had will rebuild a team, but constantly getting in the 13-15 range and never making big time trades will just leave a team in mediocrity. That's what next season is looking like unless Beasley, Morris, Marshall, Dragic, and OJ and/or Brown all break the hell out.