Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: LeBron's physical decline(article inside)

So he isn't going full Blake Griffin by not jumping 40 inches in the air on every single play and colliding with defenders, because the ball has to be dunked?

Good for his knees I would say.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease mikek85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Yeah, slightly.

His jump shot hasn't really improved to the point where it's worth mentioning the improvement. His post game has, but it's still elementary and unreliable as a primary weapon.

When something betrays you in the playoffs every year of your career it's not an exception anymore. His "improved jumpshot" and "improved post game" ALWAYS betrayed him come playoff time in Miami.

His RS numbers shooting J's were great last year, but he really cherry picked them and you all know it. When defenses tighten up, the game slows down and transition looks aren't as readily available, making the floor less spread, it forces you to take more jumpers outside of when and where you feel it's comfortable to shoot one. Spurs and Bulls series proved it (he was hitting them vs Indy no doubt though).

This is the reason why Kobe, Melo and Durant are consistent with their percentages in the playoffs, because they don't cherry pick (well KD does but not to Bron's extent). People always pull the percentages argument when comparing Kobe and Bron's jumpshots to prove they're not that far apart, but the playoff percentages are very telling.

Mid-range percentages pulled from NBA.com:

Kobe

06: 42.1%
    07: 38.8%
    08: 43.6%
    09: 45.3%
    10: 45.1%
    11: 41.9% (Injured)
    12: 43.1%
    13: N/A

LeBron

06: 29.1%
    07: 31.8%
    08: 28.1%
    09: 47.4%
    10: 38.3%
    11: 37.4%
    12: 35.9%
    13: 37.2%

So LeBron has one fluke run, and loses every other year. To any fuggin stans, there's no way he's even a comparable jump shooter.

Kobe saw his shooting percentages rise across the board every playoffs from 06-12. LeBron saw a decline. Talk about cherry picking
    Did you HAVE to bring Kobe into this? Any thread with Lebron, the Kobe ******gers come out.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Quote Originally Posted by mikek85
    Did you HAVE to bring Kobe into this? Any thread with Lebron, the Kobe ******gers come out.
    This thread is about his lost athleticism and how a newfound improvement in his skills apparently compensated for it

Well, his jump shot went from super awful to just awful. Same story every year: His J has improved! Playoff time, he can't pick em as selectively, the percentages drop off a cliff.

He's the greatest player in the world and a top 12 all time player at least but it's not because of his great skill set or anything. The only skills that he which are really are his passing and court vision. His touch around the rim and his instincts there are elite, too. Even with his noticeable decline in athleticism he's still the best combination of size strength and athletic ability in the league by far.

His shooting, any category of it, is awful to above average. His ball handling is good. His off-ball game mediocre at best. His post up skills are elementary.
    Last edited by Element; 08-29-2013 at 07:10 PM.

it is about being a smarter player. He is smarter now. Cleveland lebron with brain of 2013 lebron would be too unfair for rest of the league but he got smarter only as he got slower.
    He still drives to basket better than anyone even though he doesn't dunk every time which is good for his legs.
    He sometimes doesn't dunk in big games even when he can which clearly shows that either his coaching staff, trainer or he himself knows that dunking is not good for body. I think he should only dunk when it is the only option.

I dunno, I'm not sure if the decline is overstated or not, he stopped dunking as much before he left Cleveland. I personally thought it was a bit of self preservation. His explosion is not as evident as it once was, but he is still pretty fast on the break. He's already begun the necessary adjustments to his game before his body demands them, ahead of the curve somewhat.

I'd also say he has improved his game more than slightly. There's been a theme of steady and constant improvement from season to season throughout his career. He's added things or improved an aspect of his game nearly each summer. He's always been a streaky shooter so I don't see why it'd be such a shock to see his percentages fluctuate. His 3 point stroke has seen a steady improvement over the last few years as well.

Edit**
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    it is about being a smarter player. He is smarter now. Cleveland lebron with brain of 2013 lebron would be too unfair for rest of the league but he got smarter only as he got slower.
    He still drives to basket better than anyone even though he doesn't dunk every time which is good for his legs.
    He sometimes doesn't dunk in big games even when he can which clearly shows that either his coaching staff, trainer or he himself knows that dunking is not good for body. I think he should only dunk when it is the only option.
    Definitely this.
    Last edited by sdot_thadon; 08-29-2013 at 07:52 PM.

good read. thanks op

Still by far the best player in the NBA.

So what.

Good read but sadly told us things we already knew.

He's already a soon to be 11th year NBA Veteran. LBJ is still the best athlete in his position. I actually think he's going to have a much better performance next season because he didn't play any competitive basketball in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    Still by far the best player in the NBA.

So what.
    I disagree

Imagine Lebron's hairline decline at 35

Yet he's still easily the best player in the NBA, and averaged 27 PPG on 56% FG and 40% 3 Point? How the **** in the world is that declining. The guy was still driving to the rim at will finishing over everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    Yet he's still easily the best player in the NBA, and averaged 27 PPG on 56% FG and 40% 3 Point? How the **** in the world is that declining. The guy was still driving to the rim at will finishing over everyone.
    His athleticism fell off quite a bit actually. Look how hard it is for him to blow by people in the halfcourt. Sure he is very agile and smooth for a bigman but a few years ago he used to be agile and smooth period.

[QUOTE]One thing I

Sunshine State

He's still the best regardless, I can't see LeBron being dethroned as the best player in the league until about 34, I don't see his post game improving beyond what it is so that's about where his power will last.

Probably end up passing the torch to Durant.