Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Who Do You Take #1? Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, or Harrison Barnes?

If it were me, I'd go in order:

1. Andre Drummond
    2. Harrison Barnes
    3. Anthony Davis

Everyone seems to love Anthony Davis, and hes probably going to win National Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, & Freshman of the Year but his game scares me as far as the NBA goes.

Hes a great shotblocker who will immediately challenge Ibaka, McGee, & Howard to be among the best at that in the NBA. However he has such a slight frame without a strong lower base due to his growth spurt that I think he'll get abused in the post early on in his NBA career. On offense he doesn't really have a legit skill to rely on although he can apparently handle the ball well due to previously being a SG.

Default Re: Who Do You Take #1? Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, or Harrison Barnes?

Anthony Davis at number one, no question, for me. His shot blocking is elite, he scores extremely efficiently, can pass the ball, has good form (although not yet good results) on his jumper and has broad shoulders and a frame that will fill out. Almost everything he does seems to come within the flow of the game and he makes it look easy. I was skeptical of this guy before he came to UK, but he's removed any doubts I had and I can't find a reason not to take him number one.

I'd rather have MKG than Barnes.

Default Re: Who Do You Take #1? Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, or Harrison Barnes?

Davis.

And I like MKG over Barnes, but that's only because I love his defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Anthony Davis at number one, no question, for me. His shot blocking is elite, he scores extremely efficiently, can pass the ball, has good form (although not yet good results) on his jumper and has broad shoulders and a frame that will fill out. Almost everything he does seems to come within the flow of the game and he makes it look easy. I was skeptical of this guy before he came to UK, but he's removed any doubts I had and I can't find a reason not to take him number one.

I'd rather have MKG than Barnes.
    Valid points.

But you're basically taking a gamble on him as far as his development into an actual impact player on both ends in the NBA. For a guy to go #1 you really want to be sure that they have the tools already there for their development to be gradual. I've never seen as good of a shotblocker as Davis since Shawn Bradley, but keeping that in mind I just cant overlook his lack of an offensive game and rebounding.

He scores efficiently, and primarily off of dunks, on the college level but as he gets to the NBA those type of baskets aren't going to come easy espescially at the Forward position. On the other hand Drummond due to his complete mismatch athletically with nearly every NBA C will be able to get those easy buckets until he improves on a back to basket game.

I like Kidd-Gilchrist but there isn't any way I'd take him over Barnes. Im really starting to think that the simple fact Barnes came back for a Sophmore season has allowed far too much emphasis to be put on his perceived "weaknesses". Gilchrist has some legit weaknesses in his game as well, specifically his shot mechanics. Although Barnes has shown iffy shot selection at times this season but he projects easily as an impact perimeter player from Year 1 in the NBA much like Kevin Durant & Melo did. He can handle the ball, create his own shot off the dribble, and he's previously shown the ability to hit the turnaround jumper. His 3PT% is well over 40% which should translate to the NBA level. Is the knock on him due to not being an overly impressive athlete?

davis and that's because i see him as a new and improved marcus camby. i think his defense will be game changing. he was a guard before his huge growth spurt and i'll admit that he's been awful at creating offense at UK. still, his previous skills and him filling out his body is way too much to pass on. i think once he gets adjusted to his new role and body, he's going to be a monster. he's already more well rounded offensively than camby was at the same age. he just needs to get used to it all

i like MKG a lot too even though he doesn't have nearly the high ceiling. what he does have is a tenacious non-stop motor though. i think he's a very safe pick, albeit not #1 worthy
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 02-21-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    davis and that's because i see him as a new and improved marcus camby. i think his defense will be game changing. he was a guard before his huge growth spurt and i'll admit that he's been awful at creating offense at UK. still, his previous skills and him filling out his body is way too much to pass on. i think once he gets adjusted to his new role and body, he's going to be a monster. he's already more well rounded offensively than camby was at the same age. he just needs to get used to it all

i like MKG a lot too even though he doesn't have nearly the high ceiling. what he does have is a tenacious non-stop motor though. i think he's a very safe pick.
    Camby was a good NBA player despite the injuries.

But, is a potential DPOY player worth passing over a potential Franchise Player at SF in Barnes or a Top 3 C in Drummond? Each guy has a high upside so you really cant go wrong if you fill your need.

In reality it seems like either guy could go #1 depending on who gets the 1st pick.

Bobcats, Raptors, Suns, & Nets need Harrison Barnes.
    Hornets, Wizards, Kings, Cavs & Pistons need Anthony Davis or Andre Drummond.

Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

Howard was pretty skinny when he came into the league too. Obviously I'm not saying Davis can bulk up to the beast that Dwight is, but he could still pack on enough to make him competitively strong enough to compete in the league. He has a great skill set and is a game winning defender. I think he goes number 1.

I also agree with taking Kidd-Gilchrist over Barnes. I just like his game more, but that could be personal.

GTFO Barnes is not a top 5 pick

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    GTFO Barnes is not a top 5 pick
    Really? Why not?

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Anthony Davis is going to go #1. Might ultimately be a mistake considering where the center position is right now, but Davis clearly has the momentum right now.

National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

If Hawks were ever 1st in the draft with this current team, definitely Barnes.

We could then get rid of this piece of shit bust Marvin Williams.

Hawks are like the knicks when it comes to drafting, drafting so many ****ing busts.

Marvin and Shelden... just horrible.

Anthony Davis. I'm sorry, but Barnes seems like the ultimate useless pick for a mediocre franchise. Drummond will be DeAndre Jordan like.
    a\

davis

Drummond - beast...
    Davis - skinny, no offensive game
    Barnes - i just dont see him among top NBA SF's