Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Pistons rotation competitions

The competition at shooting guard between Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Jodie Meeks, anticipated but unfulfilled when Meeks was injured in last year's training camp, could be revisited, though Van Gundy said Caldwell-Pope goes into camp as the starter. Marcus Morris and Stanley Johnson at small forward is another key, with Morris the projected starter but the first-round rookie Johnson expected to fill a rotation spot and get opportunity for more. Morris playing some at power forward, with Johnson at small forward, is one of many looks the Pistons figure to employ. The other key competition is for backup point guard, a critical spot behind Jackson, particularly while Jennings recovers. Veteran Steve Blake goes into camp ahead of second-year Dinwiddie on the depth chart.

-- Michigan Live

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Pistons rotation competitions

Really want KCP starting - superior defense and still unknown to what his true ceiling could be, so would like to keep him locked in as the starter to continue his development arc,

I think Meeks is a great shooter, and great bench scorer - as a starting 2-guard I think he is a below average starter, and I think as a player we have seen the full potential of what he has to offer. I think he could average 10 - 13 ppg off the bench, and be a late game sniper when needed.

NBA lottery pick

Meeks isn't a starter in the NBA. KCP still has some potential for growth. I want that spot to be his. I really hope Johnson can take over the starting SF spot eventually.

Who looked more like a starter yesterday, Morris or Stanley?...... (Rhetorical question obviously)...

Stanley is making it VERY hard for SVG to roll into the season with Morris as the starter,

There is actually nothing more Stanley could have done / shown since he was drafted #8 by us.

Just yesterday in his first competitive hit out against pros (not counting summer league) he was able to actually do a decent job of guarding George (one of the top 5 hardest guys to guard in this league, in my opinion) and able to handle the ball a whole lot better / pass a whole lot better than what people projected when he was drafted (not just assists, but making the right pass at the right time). And his deep shooting looks strong thus far, again, ahead of what people projected it would be...

Either way, Stanley will be getting a lot of minutes at the 3, 2 and some 4 - depending on matchups.

p.s Bullock and Meeks looked nice off the bench, Bullock's defense being a highlight for me...

NBA lottery pick

Stanley looked far better than Morris. It wasn't even close. I've never been a big Morris fan. His brother is much better.

His brother is more of a 4, better deep shooter and slightly bigger body - would work well sharing minutes with Ersan at PF,

Marcus at the 4 is still somewhat unproven, but will work with our lineup IF he can improve his deep shooting - this is where i'd like him to play mostly, Ersan 25 mins and Marcus 13 mins, with Baynes 5 mins (with 10 or so at the C) and Tolliver 5 mins

I think we will play a lot of "small ball" this year, which is kind of the trend the NBA is heading in anyway.

Even if Marcus is the starter, I expect Stanley will get the majority of minutes at SF, I think he could average 25 minutes as a rookie, he ticks all the boxes that are important to SVG, him and KCP could develop into the highest energy / motor / gritty wing tandem in the league - they both play with such hustle and passion.

I liked how SVG went ahead and let Stanley play PG. Kid had good poise and didn't make many mistakes. Kid is going to be impressive. This team has hope

I love how crisp his passing is - nothing fancy or flash - but seems to make the right pass with good accuracy, another thing that seperates him from Morris at SF - i'm guessing ball movement will be a high priority with SVG especially playing 1 in 4 out bball...

NBA lottery pick

If SVG doesn't start him the first game of the season I hope it doesn't take as long as we originally figured it might to have him starting. Right now he looks like he's a far better player than Morris.

Right now he looks like the best player on our team, period...

If there is one thing I have learnt about SVG is that he is logical (cutting Smith for example) and not afraid to make the big decisions. Would not surprise me if he were to reneg on his stance to start Morris in favor of starting Stanley who has exceed all expectations and is playing far superior ball than Morris...

NBA lottery pick

I was disappointed to see how poorly Dre shot last night. I expect more of him in the preseason. Hopefully it's just a fluke and his offensive game will be better. Without a great offensive game he'll never be a superstar.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I was disappointed to see how poorly Dre shot last night. I expect more of him in the preseason. Hopefully it's just a fluke and his offensive game will be better. Without a great offensive game he'll never be a superstar.
    That ship has already sailed IMO. His offense will never be better than passable/average. Thats good enough. He is not a superstar, but he sure could be a key player on a very good team. Still needs better defense as well.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    That ship has already sailed IMO. His offense will never be better than passable/average. Thats good enough. He is not a superstar, but he sure could be a key player on a very good team. Still needs better defense as well.
    Look at what DeAndre Jordan got paid. Then think about what Dre will get paid. It's a shame for someone to be so limited offensively with that kind of potential. It could end up being an issue.

I think he has far better tough than Jordan, he does have somewhat soft hands, just is yet to develop that "go to" move. The kid is only 22 probably still getting use to such a hulk of a body - I think he will improve further but he will never be an Al Jefferson or Marc Gasol. I'm just thinking he can be far better offensively than the Chandlers / Jordans / perkins of the world.

I think he will max out at around 17 ppg in the coming seasons, which would be enough

Morris looked a whole heap better yesterday - but I am still not sold - his game is a carbon copy of Carmelo's (obviously far inferior), relies a lot on iso face up's just inside the 3 point line, a quick dribble move then rise and shoot. He made most of his shot yesterday which was positive, but I know it is going to be frustrating throughout the season when he is missing them. It does remind me of how Josh Smith would iso up take a dribble or two then throw up a brick, Morris is a lot better mid range shooter than Smith, thankfully.

I really like the look of Ersan, we roll a lot through him on offense, he is an underated ball "holder" and passer,

Dinwiddie looked aggressive, I liked his 4th qtr - I think we roll with him over Blake

Bullock looked real good too off the bench, played good D (real good D) and is a dangerous shooter. I can see SVG giving him minutes at the start of the season.