Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: 2015 Free Agency Thread

haha yeah ^^ Seth has been killing it, someone was always going to pick him up, I see no reason why he can't develop into an Austin Rivers level player in this league - obviously his family has a history of hard work!!

If you select a guy at #38 who no other team had on their draft radar - surely you know a little something something... This was a very sneaky pick, no way SVG would reach for a guy like that without being super committed to him, remember last year he signed Dinwiddie to a 3 year deal too, i'v never seen 2nd round players signed on those type of deals outside of Dinwiddie and Hilliard -

I guess this makes it hard for Bullock to make the team, I still hope he does somehow, would rather take a shot on a 1st rounder from 13' draft that was considered potentially the best shooter of the class, than keep Martin

NBA lottery pick

Here's my thoughts on signing them that long. I think the Pistons have traded away quite a few 2nd round picks. 2nd rounders usually don't develop into much but they are needed for salary cap purposes. You need to have some of those really "cheap" contracts to be able to afford the good players. Since they won't be able to just draft guys and cut them the following season they've gotta lock up a few of these 2nd rounders on their rookie deals for cap purposes. Then hope that if they're lucky they can develop them and maybe they actually turn into something. Doubtful that happens. I think it's all about the money.

^^ Yeah you are probably right mate - lets be honest, if a 2nd rounder can devlop into a rotation level player i.e. 8th or 9th player, then they have exceeded expectations and would have to be stoked...

Perfect example was Kyle Singler, if you get a 2nd rounder and develops into a Kyle Singler of the league you have done very well...

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Darrun Hilliard was signed to a 3 year deal:
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/7...-year-contract

The 2nd year is only partially guaranteed so they could still cut him next season. Apparently SVG really likes this kid who wasn't even going to be drafted.
    Lol, he clearly would have been drafted. Real GMs wanted him even if Chad Ford and co didn't.

NBA lottery pick

I'm not so sure about that, but I do understand wanting to sign a 2nd rounder for cheap no matter who it is for cap purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Darrun Hilliard was signed to a 3 year deal:
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/7...-year-contract

The 2nd year is only partially guaranteed so they could still cut him next season. Apparently SVG really likes this kid who wasn't even going to be drafted.
    Lol. Isn't this what everyone does on GM mode of NBA 2k?

I saw on my phone that we signed Adonis Thomas (from the summer league squad and Grand Rapids team) to a 2 year deal.

That's 18 guys under contract...

Guess the depth chart is looking something like this:

Reggie Jackson/Brandon Jennings/Steve Blake/Spencer Dinwiddie
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope/Jodie Meeks
    Marcus Morris/Stanley Johnson/Darrun Hilliard/Cartier Martin/Danny Granger
    Ersan Ilyasova/Anthony Toliver/Reggie Bullock/Adonis Thomas
    Andre Drummond/Aron Baynes/Joel Anthony

Probably Dinwiddie, Martin and Either Granger or Bullock will have to be cut prior to start of season, unless there is trade, seems like another trade is likely.

Not much wow factor to roster, but you can go 12 deep with very little drop off in talent.
    Last edited by embersyc; 07-22-2015 at 09:58 PM.

^^ Highly doubt Dinwiddie gets cut,

Bullock is deff not a PF, will play on the wing if he gets playing time - he is a wirey 6'7 sharpshooter,

Jennings needs to be moved, Granger wont be here and hopefully Martin is the 3rd...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    ^^ Highly doubt Dinwiddie gets cut,

Bullock is deff not a PF, will play on the wing if he gets playing time - he is a wirey 6'7 sharpshooter,

Jennings needs to be moved, Granger wont be here and hopefully Martin is the 3rd...
    Well I don't think anybody is going to pick up Jennings until he plays a game or two, and it sounds like he may not be fully ready to go at season's start.

Also SVG has said Granger will be in training camp, so I guess he'll get the chance to prove if he has anything left. Maybe he can have a McDyess level resurgence here. I know highly unlikely.

NBA lottery pick

There have been rumors that Dinwiddie is one of the odd men out. It sounds like Granger probably is too. Dinwiddie was terrible in summer league. While most don't usually put much on summer league ball it's apparent even though SVG said it didn't matter it actually did. He's a long shot to make the roster. I found it odd they gave Thomas a contract since we already had to cut people and were over the limit of 15.

The Adonis Thomas signing somewhat (maybe) confirms my thoughts on SVG being higher on him than Quincy Miller - making Miller expendable as they are quite similar in what they offer to a team as an end of the bench projected stretch 4ish player...

I have a hard time we would give up on Dinwiddie after his rookie campaign. He was coming off a serious injury hence his fall from potential lottery to early second round. In his first career start he posted 12 points, 9 assists and only 2 turnovers in a win over the Bulls keeping Rose to 8 points and 6 turnovers... I watched that game and it was beautiful to watch - he looked like he just "got it", very natural. I would be so sour if we didn't atleast give him a full season now that he is healthy to see if he can be a legit back up for us one day.

But I am nervous with Reggie, Jennings and Blake all in front of dinwiddie on the depth chart...

NBA lottery pick

Even though SVG has said he thinks he can play guys like Reggie and Dinwiddie or Jennings at the same time, I just don't see how he can fit all 4 of those PG's on the roster. He still is going to start KCP and Meeks is going to play too. That's the vast majority of time for that guard position. Maybe KCP plays some SF when they're going small ball but they still have Johnson and Morris too. Everything SVG is saying just isn't adding up. One of those guards is gone and I think it's Dinwiddie. I just don't think they can move Jennings before the season starts.

Yeah i'm with you ^^ I do not want to see two PG's play significant minutes at the same time, I'd much rather have a defensive distruptor / sniper at the 2 (KCP / Meeks)...

I would like to see Dinwiddie play a whole heap of D-league this year, but remain contracted to us, because whilst ake might be a better option this year, moving forward I believe Dinwiddie will be a much better option...