Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default 2015 Free Agency Thread

[QUOTE]A person with firsthand knowledge of the Pistons' off-season plans said signing Green is not realistic because they expect the Warriors, playing in the NBA Finals and working for a new arena, to match any offer sheet. The person, not publicly authorized to discuss the team's plans, said that the Pistons do not want to tie up salary cap space for 72 hours

Decent college freshman

Default Re: 2015 Free Agency Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    The Draymond Green coming back to his home state thing seems like a huge long shot. If Monroe decides to walk the Pistons need to have another plan to fill that roster spot.
    Always figured this was the case.

GUys I figure we'll target

Danny Green
    Khris Middleon
    Tobias Harris
    Jeff Green(not a huge fan myself)
    Demarre Carroll
    Mirza Teletovic
    Marco Belinelli

Not a great list, but hopefully we can add the shooting we need.

NBA lottery pick

I'm not really big on any of those targets. I think we should shoot for the stars. Especially having Tellum on our side now. Offer LMA the max. Offer Kevin Love the max. Signing any of those other role players isn't going to make a difference in our team. The difference would then be our young guys being more experienced which will already win the Pistons a few more games next season.

Decent college freshman

I'm not really big on any of those targets. I think we should shoot for the stars. Especially having Tellum on our side now. Offer LMA the max. Offer Kevin Love the max. Signing any of those other role players isn't going to make a difference in our team. The difference would then be our young guys being more experienced which will already win the Pistons a few more games next season.
    Offer away, but they aren't coming here. We have to find our stars in the draft. I'd love to add a starting caliber SF though in FA and I think a few of those guys can fill that role.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    Offer away, but they aren't coming here. We have to find our stars in the draft. I'd love to add a starting caliber SF though in FA and I think a few of those guys can fill that role.
    With Detroit getting an 8 seed every year that's not happening. Better hope Dre learns how to suddenly shoot lol.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Stuff Green, let's go for Aldridge! ha, we all know he is leaving Portland, but wouldn't say we would be one of the leading candidates to land him,

Kevin Love? Probably the best suited PF to play alongside Drummond in the league to be honest, again, probably a long shot too...

NBA lottery pick

Love would be perfect beside Dre. I have to imagine he wants to win titles in Cleveland though. They can't do it this year with the injuries but if they can get a few more guys for depth and avoid the injuries Lebron's going to get a couple of them there.

As for Aldridge, he's already moving out of his home. He's a guy who doesn't like the spotlight very much so I could see him going to a place that doesn't get as much publicity. San Antonio does make a lot of sense. But I have a feeling that some of these guys are going to be a bit sick of competing in that Western conference. The power will shift back. If Aldridge comes to a team that has the right pieces on it already in the East he would be in contention every year for the next 5 years. He and Dre would make the most dominant front line in the league and I honestly think they would be right in the mix of things if they had were to resign Reggie too. Guys don't really care about being in a big city as much anymore. It doesn't really affect their shoe deals and other endorsements as much as it did back in the day. Winning does though. For an elite PF or SF I would think Detroit would look like a very good place to go to right now.

Decent college freshman

Damon Stoudamire is selling the house he was renting to LMA, so that isn't all that accurate.

Carroll has shown enough growth and facets in his game to make me believe he is going to be a solid starting SF / piece of the puzzle for any team aspiring for playoffs. He is young, hungry, versatile and defensive minded.

And whoever we draft at #8 this year I would hope would be a starting level type player as we develop our team towards contender-ship. I guess any lottery player you would somewhat expect to become a starter in this league or better.

I guess with all those wings in the draft that should be going in the mid lottery and all those FA wings that were listed above - I think it is pretty safe to assume we are going to have a new starting SF this year. My attention would now shift to the PF position as Moose will leave - and it will leave a pretty big hole, even though Tolliver toiled hard for us last year he is at best a rotation player in this league (love him coming off the bench as a stretch 4)...

Are there any stretch 4 FA's that arn't going to be max players i.e Love / Aldridge.. I think I saw Derrick Williams name tossed around but he is hardly the answer (although I wouldn't mind taking a small risk on the #2 pick from 4 years ago for a small price tag)..

NBA lottery pick

I'm not sold on Carroll. One decent season and people are falling in love with him. He only put up average numbers. I feel like there's a lot of guys in the league that given the opportunity could do the same.

I don't care about his numbers ^^ His defense and team play is what makes me intrigued by him. He is only getting better as a player / more rounded with each season, he plays with the hustle, grit and passion we want on our team. He does not need the limelight nor feel the need to put up big numbers. His game can not be accounted for by stats. I watched maybe... 15 Hawks games this year and he just "gets it". He knows where to be, what to do and his motor is off the charts. I'd love to have him as a 4th / 5th option glue guy

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    I don't care about his numbers ^^ His defense and team play is what makes me intrigued by him. He is only getting better as a player / more rounded with each season, he plays with the hustle, grit and passion we want on our team. He does not need the limelight nor feel the need to put up big numbers. His game can not be accounted for by stats. I watched maybe... 15 Hawks games this year and he just "gets it". He knows where to be, what to do and his motor is off the charts. I'd love to have him as a 4th / 5th option glue guy
    Yeah, I love those guys that play decent during a contract year and maybe have 2-3 years of good basketball left in them..... lol. Demare is 28. He's in his prime. This is about the best that we're going to see him. He's not getting better. You make it sound like he's 24 and fresh out of college. That's not the case. He has a few decent years in him. So let's pay him over 10 million per season????? Let another team make that mistake. If you want to win championships you pass. If you want to be a 5-7 seed and lose in the first round (maybe 2nd like the Hawks did) then you go for it. I like the bigger picture better. Mediocre is not fun to me at all. That's a mediocre move that ties you into mediocrity for years if you're the Pistons. It may not be the same with other teams situations, but it certainly is in Detroit. Right now we do not have a guy we can give the ball to in crunch time. You can't win a championship that way. Isiah could do it. Chauncey could do it. Chauncey is the most under rated player of the last 20 years. He was amazing. Best PG in the league for years and nobody knew it except for Detroit fans and maybe some smart Denver ones. Reggie is not that guy. Dre will get fouled and miss. So you want to give the ball to Demare with 10 seconds left in game 7 of the series? Because that's what you need right now. You don't overpay role players first and go out and find your core second.

haha wow, chill dude, chill - I said I'd like Carroll at the 3, but I agree I wouldn't want to tie up 10 mill (I think he will get between 8-10 mill per year) in him. I think he is a great piece to the puzzle, and he is the type of player you want on your team. He seems like a SVG kinda guy, too. He wouldn't single handedly turn us into a contender but he would make us competent at our weakest position. Just a piece to the puzzle, and you are right, we are missing a HUGE piece of the puzzle in the form of a offensive leading man - jury is still out on if Reggie still has enough room to improve to potentially be that guy, as we still have really seen little of Reggie as a starter in this league...

Yes agree with your Billups statement, my favourite thing about Billups is that he actually had NO weaknesses. You look at all the top PG's and they all atleast have 1 downside - I fail to find that in a prime Billups...

NBA lottery pick

If we were to sign a player from the Hawks I'd rather it be Millsap if Monroe leaves. Millsap would kill it next to Drummond. My only problem with him is he's starting to get up there in age.

Decent college freshman

Yeah, I love those guys that play decent during a contract year and maybe have 2-3 years of good basketball left in them..... lol. Demare is 28. He's in his prime. This is about the best that we're going to see him. He's not getting better. You make it sound like he's 24 and fresh out of college. That's not the case. He has a few decent years in him. So let's pay him over 10 million per season????? Let another team make that mistake. If you want to win championships you pass. If you want to be a 5-7 seed and lose in the first round (maybe 2nd like the Hawks did) then you go for it. I like the bigger picture better. Mediocre is not fun to me at all. That's a mediocre move that ties you into mediocrity for years if you're the Pistons. It may not be the same with other teams situations, but it certainly is in Detroit. Right now we do not have a guy we can give the ball to in crunch time. You can't win a championship that way. Isiah could do it. Chauncey could do it. Chauncey is the most under rated player of the last 20 years. He was amazing. Best PG in the league for years and nobody knew it except for Detroit fans and maybe some smart Denver ones. Reggie is not that guy. Dre will get fouled and miss. So you want to give the ball to Demare with 10 seconds left in game 7 of the series? Because that's what you need right now. You don't overpay role players first and go out and find your core second.
    The thing is, 10 mil is starting to be role player money. Carroll isn't a star,but role player is a bit too broad of a stroke. THat can cover anything from the 4th to the 10th guy in your rotation. He's a good starter in this league. I like guys who step up in the playoffs and he contributes on both ends. He fits what SVG wants to do too.

As for our core, we are at a bit of a crossroads. Jackson and Drummond are going to cost a ton of money and both have trade value in different ways. You have to either make the decision to believe in them as a core or move forward in a different direction IMO. Jackson could cost as much as the max due to the upcoming salary cap increases. You don't have to think Drummond/Jackson are Wade/Lebron, but if you don't think they can be at least Lillard/LMA, you have to really re-evaluate our situation. If you do believe in them, you invest in them and start adding guys who fit around them. We also need to start winning some games already. You have core guys at the 1 and 5 and stability at the 2. You need 2 starting Fs though, with one coming in the draft and the other in FA most likely.
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 06-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.