Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Draft,

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default 2015 Draft,

Hey guys,

It's never too early to start circling targets for the upcoming draft.

Or position is likely going to be somewhere between 7 - 12 (like most years )

I think it is pretty clear that we will / should be targeting a wing and shooting. In saying that - who are some of the prospects that could be available to us, who fits our team mold the best and who do you personally want (within reason)...

These wings all project to be top 20, with Winslow and Johnson really the only two locked as a top 10...

Justise Winslow
    Stanley Johnson
    Mario Hezonja
    Kelly Oubre
    Devin Booker
    Caris LeVert
    Sam Dekker

Local High School Star

Default Re: 2015 Draft,

Winslow would be nice but don't sleep on Mario!

Decent college freshman

Porzingis intrigues the hell out of me. Putting him and Middleton at F on a team that also includes Reggie,Andre and KCP/Meeks sounds pretty good to me. The 2 guards would obviously have to play up to their potential, but we aren't married to either one if it comes down to it.

^^ Yes Porzingis is indeed an intriguing prospect - but in my opinion he has the biggest chance to bust out of all the aforementioned players. I personally wouldn't want to take that risk at this stage. But his potential is clearly enormous!

And Hezonja is probably my choice if I am picking someone who is going to suit the makeup of our team right now. Athletic shooter with size and potential. If it came down to it though would probably still choose Winslow and perhaps Johnson over him if we had the chance...

Sam Dekker over these past few weeks has gone from being projected a mid-first rounder to then a potential lottery pick and now he sits as a potential top 10 pick... I guess that is the result of having a great tourney..

At this stage Winslow's stock is way high, looking like a lock for top 5.

If we had #8 pick, I'd say we would just about be able to draft any other wing we wanted. The more tape of Hezonja I watch, the more I think he has the highest potential / raw talent out of them all... Dekker is probably the safest pick but the one that has the lowest ceiling. I still can't work out if Oubre is going to be successful at the next level but I like his skill set. And I think Stanley would be a great pick at #8 but not quite sure he fits SVG's game style...

Atleast we are going to have legit options this draft you would think and will not have to overreach for a need...

NBA lottery pick

Unless the Pistons get very lucky I don't see us drafting high enough to draft a guy like Winslow. I'm pretty sure he's going to go in the top 5. The ping pong balls don't seem to fall in our favor so I highly doubt we'll be there. Somehow Cleveland is going to end up with that top pick again . I think Winslow will be a role player in the NBA. I'm not sure if he's going to be really good though. When I start thinking of all the SF's who are really good they're all taller than 6'6". As a matter of fact, I have a hard time even thinking of a 6'6" SF that I really like. I feel like you need that extra inch or two in order to be really successful at the next level at that position.

Johnson would be the other guy at that position. I like his size better, but he can't shoot well outside.

I think Hezonja could be a really good player. He shoots well and fits what we need. The problem is he plays the same position as KCP. Hezonja also has a chance to be a bust. Although the European players lately haven't been as big of busts as they were in the past. Teams have done a better job scouting these guys. They typically take a few years to develop and translate to the NBA game though.

The latest mock I read had the Pistons taking Cauley-Stein with their pick. Then they traded him to Houston for their pick and Terrence Jones, with Detroit giving up Dinwiddie too. Then the Pistons got Kamisky with Houstons pick. I'm not sure how I feel about that either. Kamisky would be able to knock down some 3's with Drummond next to him. It's not a move that truly makes the Pistons good though. I think Kamisky is just a role player in the NBA. I'll pass on Oubre and Dekker.

I'm not all that excited for this draft. There's a few players that can help at positions of need but it's not enough help. With Detroit losing Monroe this offseason whoever they bring in won't be as good as he was. It just might be someone who is a slightly better fit next to Drummond. That probably puts us in the running for a bottom seed in the playoffs. Then we can lose to a team like Cleveland in the first round..... There's just not a lot to be excited about right now. It's not even SVG's fault. I just don't see a lot that can be done to turn things around to be a contender anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Johnson would be the other guy at that position. I like his size better, but he can't shoot well outside.
    I don't think 37% from outside is terrible - I like how he doesn't "jack" shots up. I think his mechanics are sound enough for him to be an effective shooter at the next level. I'm not saying we are looking at the next Kyle Korver here but I don't think it isn't going to be a weakness, or a Josh Smith jack up type of player.

Do you think Henzonja will be able to slide to the SF position? He is 6'8 and the league is becoming more perimeter dominant, I would have thought that might be a position he would be more suited to than SG?

NBA lottery pick

Hezonja has the height but not the size to play that position. I think we could go small ball with him & KCP sometimes though.

^^ Yeah my thoughts exactly as KCP can play longer than what he is listed due to his high motor and defensive effort - Henzonja is around 210 pounds now, he just turned 20, with an offseason or two I'm sure he can get to the 220 / 225 pound mark and have a body similar to a guy like Gordon Hayward, time will tell though as Euro players seem to have that slim rangey build

NBA lottery pick

I'd take him without a doubt if he ended up like Hayward. That kid is still getting better. He'll never be a superstar but he'll be an all-star and a very good starter and that's all you can really hope for where the Pistons will be drafting at with this draft class.

Exactly! More athletic than Hayward but Hayward just seems to "get it done" and is so damn versatile,

NBA lottery pick

I meant Hayward when I said all-star. I don't know if the other kid will reach that level or not, but he could.

Yeah I took it as you meant Hayward - I completely agree, if your SF can get you 20/5/5 with outside shooting and above average defense you are doing very well. Would make a great 3rd best player on a championship level team

I have now seen 4 different Mock drafts that have Stanley Johnson and Mario Henzonja being available at pick #8 for us. With 3 of those mocks have us taking Mario and 1 taking Stanley.

If we get the #8 spot (massive if as we are the Pistons, after all) it would appear that we are going to be getting one of these players, as either a choice we have to make or selecting the one who hasn't been drafted yet (highly unlikely both go top 7)...

Who would you rather select if you narrow the field down to these two? Who has the higher ceiling? Who fits our game style? Who is better at what? etc...

NBA lottery pick

Based on what SVG was saying today I think he's going to take a player that won't help much next year, but one he can develop to be very good for the future. I think Henzonja is probably a player more like that so I would lean toward him.