Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by dd24

Anyway, those are the FA's Detroit is thinking about. So depending on who we draft will dictate who Detroit goes after in free agency. Ariza is a starter in the NBA. He's not the most appreciated guy, but he can play. He was a starter on a very good Lakers team. People don't seem to remember all he did for them. The thing I like with going after a guy like Ariza is he won't be super expensive. If we could get him for 6 million per season, then we'd still have money to resign our young rookies and still go after another player.

Oh and I could see more than one player on that list potentially being an all-star. Monroe has the potential, Drummond does, Evans does, and maybe even Porter could.
    You make some very good points on Ariza - I guess teams needs players like him, glue guys who play hard defense that can stretch the floor

Yeah I agree all have potential to make all-star teams - I ment we need two of them to actually fullfill that potential and become all-stars

I see this years draft as a very interesting draft. The top 7 players could go in any order- no consensus order

Pg-m smart
    Sg-Mclemore
    Shabazz m
    Pf- a Bennett
    Pf/c- Noel
    Zeller
    Olynyk

Way I see it is that if the pistons pick 5-7 shabazz is the most likely pick, if they win a top 3 pick I see Mclemore as the most likely pick.

If you have Bennett and Zeller on the board would you really pick porter or oladipo?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    I see this years draft as a very interesting draft. The top 7 players could go in any order- no consensus order

Pg-m smart
    Sg-Mclemore
    Shabazz m
    Pf- a Bennett
    Pf/c- Noel
    Zeller
    Olynyk

Way I see it is that if the pistons pick 5-7 shabazz is the most likely pick, if they win a top 3 pick I see Mclemore as the most likely pick.

If you have Bennett and Zeller on the board would you really pick porter or oladipo?
    I don't really want to draft McLemore as a top 3 pick. I'd hope we'd have a chance at Porter or Smart. Which answers your last question, yes I would pick either of those guys over Bennett and Zeller. I don't see how either fit on our team with Drummond and Monroe. It actually makes me laugh that there's mock drafts that have us selecting Bennett. Sure some places list him as a SF but he's a PF and he's only 6'7". Bennett will be a bust IMO.

Zeller makes no sense at all. We just used a lottery pick on Drummond, who is a better player. I like Zeller actually. The only reason I would pick him would be to trade him to a team that really wanted him though. Drummond is the future C here and we still have Kratsov as a backup who has shown quite a bit of promise. I think next year we'll have a solid 4 man rotation of Monroe, Drummond, CV, and Jerebko with some more Kratsov sprinkled in there. Yes I did say CV. I don't think they'll amnesty him and pay him to play for another team. He's actually been pretty decent when he got a chance this year. Having a big that can stretch the floor is pretty important.

I could still see us drafting Shabazz possibly. Then we could go out and try to get someone like Ariza in free agency.

I don't really want to draft McLemore as a top 3 pick. I'd hope we'd have a chance at Porter or Smart. Which answers your last question, yes I would pick either of those guys over Bennett and Zeller. I don't see how either fit on our team with Drummond and Monroe. It actually makes me laugh that there's mock drafts that have us selecting Bennett. Sure some places list him as a SF but he's a PF and he's only 6'7". Bennett will be a bust IMO.

Zeller makes no sense at all. We just used a lottery pick on Drummond, who is a better player. I like Zeller actually. The only reason I would pick him would be to trade him to a team that really wanted him though. Drummond is the future C here and we still have Kratsov as a backup who has shown quite a bit of promise. I think next year we'll have a solid 4 man rotation of Monroe, Drummond, CV, and Jerebko with some more Kratsov sprinkled in there. Yes I did say CV. I don't think they'll amnesty him and pay him to play for another team. He's actually been pretty decent when he got a chance this year. Having a big that can stretch the floor is pretty important.

I could still see us drafting Shabazz possibly. Then we could go out and try to get someone like Ariza in free agency.
    I guess we see porter at a different level. I see him a level or more behind the top group and that it would be a bad move to draft position of need over talent.

I like smart over Mclemore as well but would draft smart as a pg.

I also don't think it would be the worst move to draft a big if that's the best player in the spot no matter how highly you think of the 2 you g ones you have. There is enough time for 3 guys to play 30 mins

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    I guess we see porter at a different level. I see him a level or more behind the top group and that it would be a bad move to draft position of need over talent.

I like smart over Mclemore as well but would draft smart as a pg.

I also don't think it would be the worst move to draft a big if that's the best player in the spot no matter how highly you think of the 2 you g ones you have. There is enough time for 3 guys to play 30 mins
    We'd end up losing one of those bigs in the long run. It just doesn't make sense. Like I said, I'd do it for a trade, and if it could help out our back court situation I'd do it.

I agree, Smart is a PG. That's where I would want to draft him at. Most everybody has Porter as a top 3 pick right now. He needs to bulk up a bit, but outside of that he really seems like a Danny Granger type player to me, which for this draft is solid. It seems like it's going to be a really weak draft.

Good college starter

I like Shabazz but he just seem like a headcase. These are guys Tim Hardaway Jr, MCW, Porter and Lorezo Brown.
    Last edited by idizzle; 04-04-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Lets say we get pick 5 (probably the most probably projected position)

If we get Mclemore at #5 I'm happy - he fills a need and has the tools to be successful in the NBA.

If we get Shabazz at #5 i'm happy - obviously incredibly talented, worth taking at this position and fills a need

If we get Smart at #5 i'm happy - only if Dumars trades knight for something really good, because I wouldn't want to keep him around and experiment with him as a 2-guard...

If we get Porter at #5 i'm happy - reminds me a little bit of Batum, and fills a need..

Those are the only 4 guys I would be happy with, the only 4 guys that makes sense to draft... Obviously this is a weaker draft, so expectations are down, but still hoping for a starting player who can make a real impact on our team..

What do people think about trey burks?....

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    What do people think about trey burks?....

I'm really liking what Trey Burks is doing right now. I think this Final Four will be very interesting with MCW playing against Burks. That's going to tell us a lot. Sure Syracuse plays a zone, but both of their guards are much taller and it'll be good to see how Burks handles the size difference. I think Burks has probably worked his way into the top 10. He may just be the best PG in college basketball. I'm not sure yet. Smart is the overall guy who I'd pick first. But Burks is really working his way in there. If we draft #5 I'd really consider Burks. I'm not sure what to do with Knight. I think Burks is a better pure PG and he definitely has more speed. His size concerns me, but a guy like Ty Lawson has done pretty good in the league so far. I really think PG is probably the most important position in the NBA now. Knight worries me as a long term solution as the Pistons keep trying to tell us he is. I'm telling you guys, that Calderon trade speaks volumes to me. Either Knight is the PG or take him off the court because he is just too small and he doesn't have the game of a Monta Ellis.... (and I wouldn't want Monta on my team either, lol, he's just too small for his position).

For your other post, yeah if we land at 5 any of those players is a solid pick. I'm just scared about Bennett at #5. He reminds me of a poor mans Derrick Williams. Williams is too small to play PF and too slow to play SF. In the right system he could be good at PF.... Since I don't see Bennett as good as him I don't see him being good in the NBA. He has bust writtten all over him to me. I'd really like to see us in the top 3. We need a chance at one of the better players in this draft.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

porter could be staying in college ... what do you guys think of glenn robinson III?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    porter could be staying in college ... what do you guys think of glenn robinson III?
    Porter would be crazy to stay in college. You've got guys like Parker and Wiggins who will be at the top of that draft class. He's not moving up any higher. They all say they might stay at first.....

As a U of M fan I like Robinson III. As a lottery pick I don't. I don't see him being a go to starter in the NBA. I like Burke and I actually think McGary has a chance to be the best of the bunch in the NBA. He was a top recruit coming into the season. He kind of got lost in the depth of the team for a bit. Someone is going to get a steal with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Evans has star potential but again - what position is he going to play? SG?

Drummond
    Monroe
    Porter
    Evans
    Knight

We would need atleast 2 of those players to become all-stars to be relevant... But I could deal with this

I am just scared with Evans because there is a huge difference between his best and his worst...

I like Mayo - but again he is undersized

Ariza can plug a hole, but I'd prefer him off the bench

Gerald Henderson??? No, just no...

For what it's worth, Henderson has been lighting it up.

NBA lottery pick

Here's an article about the Pistons rebuilding process and it mentions a bit about free agency.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/5...andre-drummond

Here's an article about the Pistons rebuilding process and it mentions a bit about free agency.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/5...andre-drummond
    Ouch, I didn't realize our pick to the Bobcats was only top 8 protected next year. There are going to be some good players 9-15, where we'll probably be picking.

I really hope Joe can pull some magic out from that dusty old hat of his. I trust him, but my patience is wearing thin. Another disasterous free agency and we'll be set back another 3-4 years.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Kombo
    Ouch, I didn't realize our pick to the Bobcats was only top 8 protected next year. There are going to be some good players 9-15, where we'll probably be picking.

I really hope Joe can pull some magic out from that dusty old hat of his. I trust him, but my patience is wearing thin. Another disasterous free agency and we'll be set back another 3-4 years.
    Yup, this is why I've been saying I'm so scared of being stuck in mediocrity. I'm sure they're going to spend that money and everybody sees how bad this free agent class is for us. I'd almost rather not even sign a FA this year. If Joe D pulls another BG & CV sort of offseason I think fans will finally turn on him. It'll be the last straw. We've been loyal to him forever, but if he wastes this cap space then I'm going to be really upset. OJ Mayo isn't turning around the Pistons..... neither is Gerald Henderson lol. Next season there is a guy who for sure is going to turn around one organization. That's Andrew Wiggins. This year wasn't the year to be bad. Next year is. I'm not saying let's be worse next season, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying the way things are playing out they don't look good right now. We're only a few players away. We're just in a really tough position to get those players. I'm hoping for some kind of trade that will land us a player we need, rather than going the FA route.

Also, what everyone needs to keep in mind is really no team as become a contender through free agency. Outside of the Miami Heat (which those were technically trades....) I can't think of a somewhat recent champion who turned things completely around through free agency. The Lakers did it through trades, the Celtics traded for KG, Spurs built through the draft & surrounded those players by smart trades, 06 Miami was a Shaq trade, even the Pistons had to trade for Sheed, Rip, Ben, & Chauncey.
    Last edited by dd24; 04-06-2013 at 12:00 PM.