Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

Some mock drafts have him going in the 2nd rud. Depending on how NC State advances and how he plays in the tournament his stock might go up.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

But probably not top 6 which is where we hopefully will be drafting...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    But probably not top 6 which is where we hopefully will be drafting...
    I just hope the ping pong balls somehow fall our way this year. With our cap space and another high pick we could end up being mediocre. That would mean no first round pick next year..... We really have to get a solid player this year.

NBA lottery pick

It's really starting to look like an extremely weak draft class. I haven't been all that impressed by any of the top players in the tournament.

Is MCW the only guy who has helped his stock? I'm not so sure he has even helped his own, or if everyone else has just performed so poorly he's looking better and better.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Kombo
    Is MCW the only guy who has helped his stock? I'm not so sure he has even helped his own, or if everyone else has just performed so poorly he's looking better and better.
    If you would've asked this before yesterday it would've been a no. After yesterday he did help himself. I will say this though, he and Syracuse need to do well against Marquette. If he can do that his stock will go up quite a bit.

The player whose stock has went up the most is Nerlens Noel. Everybody else played so bad Noel looks like he could be the top pick again. At least with him a team knows they're getting a big man who is a solid defender and rebounder. They can hope to work on his offensive game. I'll say it again though, this is a really weak draft class.

NBA lottery pick

Trey Burke has been so impressive all year yet he's getting overlooked a bit when it comes to draft talk. He doesn't have great size, but the kid can play.

Good college starter

MCW and Trey Burks stocks are bananas right now. I still like MCW though. Pistons shouldn't get Burks if they plan on keeping Knight.

NBA lottery pick

The thing I like about MCW is he's really more of a playmaker for others than he is a scorer. Knight is more of a scorer than a playmaker. They could potentially really compliement each other. At 6'6" and 6'3" they would be able to match up with most backcourts, and either one could handle the ball at any time so it could potentially be dangerous. I'm still not really liking this draft class though. I'm still looking at the same guys; MCW, Muhommad, Porter, and Smart. I'm really thinking Porter and MCW are the fits for this team right now. I definitely wouldn't pass up on Smart though. I think he might have the highest ceiling in this draft.

After watching some more of his games, Porter is really impressing me. I like the thought of a front court that looks like:

Drummond
    Monroe
    Porter

Some very good play making, hustle, defense and scoring...

Doesn't help our messy, messy back court situation though!

NBA lottery pick

I've been saying Porter to be in the mix of who we should be looking at too. One thing I've been thinking about lately though is his lack of an outside shot. With big guys like Monroe and Drummond we really need to surround them with shooters. A SF who can hit the 3 would be ideal. I like Porter because he's the best SF available in the draft and it's a position we really need to get more athletic at. If he doesn't develop an outside shot it could really hurt his game and limit him. I'm not sure we're going to draft high enough to get him either. It may take a top 3 pick to land him. Who knows though.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I've been saying Porter to be in the mix of who we should be looking at too. One thing I've been thinking about lately though is his lack of an outside shot. With big guys like Monroe and Drummond we really need to surround them with shooters. A SF who can hit the 3 would be ideal. I like Porter because he's the best SF available in the draft and it's a position we really need to get more athletic at. If he doesn't develop an outside shot it could really hurt his game and limit him. I'm not sure we're going to draft high enough to get him either. It may take a top 3 pick to land him. Who knows though.

I think his outside shot is strong in two regards,

1. He shoots 43% from behind the arc and easily has NBA 3pt range

and,

2. He doesn't fall in love with the 3pt shot, so he isn't going to be jacking them up. I think he will be open a lot more in the NBA than he is in college, especially with Monroe and Drummond up front...

In my opinion he is one of the better shooters from deep in this draft without heavily relying on it

NBA lottery pick

Yeah, I guess looking at the numbers his percentage is high. The knock on him has been his outside shot, but the numbers are there. I wouldn't be mad at all if we ended up with him. I have a feeling Detroit is going to go after a SG in free agency. Maybe someone like Tyreke Evans or OJ Mayo. I hope the Gerald Henderson rumors aren't true. I like Mayo but we would have a really small back court and wouldn't be a contender. Evans if healthy would make a lot of sense. I could also see them possibly going after Trevor Ariza too. If that was the case they wouldn't draft Porter.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Yeah, I guess looking at the numbers his percentage is high. The knock on him has been his outside shot, but the numbers are there. I wouldn't be mad at all if we ended up with him. I have a feeling Detroit is going to go after a SG in free agency. Maybe someone like Tyreke Evans or OJ Mayo. I hope the Gerald Henderson rumors aren't true. I like Mayo but we would have a really small back court and wouldn't be a contender. Evans if healthy would make a lot of sense. I could also see them possibly going after Trevor Ariza too. If that was the case they wouldn't draft Porter.
    Evans has star potential but again - what position is he going to play? SG?

Drummond
    Monroe
    Porter
    Evans
    Knight

We would need atleast 2 of those players to become all-stars to be relevant... But I could deal with this

I am just scared with Evans because there is a huge difference between his best and his worst...

I like Mayo - but again he is undersized

Ariza can plug a hole, but I'd prefer him off the bench

Gerald Henderson??? No, just no...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Evans has star potential but again - what position is he going to play? SG?

Drummond
    Monroe
    Porter
    Evans
    Knight

We would need atleast 2 of those players to become all-stars to be relevant... But I could deal with this

I am just scared with Evans because there is a huge difference between his best and his worst...

I like Mayo - but again he is undersized

Ariza can plug a hole, but I'd prefer him off the bench

Gerald Henderson??? No, just no...
    Evans is a 2 guard for sure. He has the size to play that position. What scares me with him is his health. He's restricted anyhow so I would think Sacramento would think really hard about matching.

Anyway, those are the FA's Detroit is thinking about. So depending on who we draft will dictate who Detroit goes after in free agency. Ariza is a starter in the NBA. He's not the most appreciated guy, but he can play. He was a starter on a very good Lakers team. People don't seem to remember all he did for them. The thing I like with going after a guy like Ariza is he won't be super expensive. If we could get him for 6 million per season, then we'd still have money to resign our young rookies and still go after another player.

Oh and I could see more than one player on that list potentially being an all-star. Monroe has the potential, Drummond does, Evans does, and maybe even Porter could.