Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Talk!

Stern+refs=fail

Default Re: Draft Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Right now playing time for the Forwards should be easy to split up. Sheed is definitely out from what it sounds like so Amir should definitely be starting. Kwame isn't a starter. He can be decent off the bench but we will have a very long season if he is getting significant minutes. We need to sign a big name F. So really the rotation would be the potential signing, Amir, Maxiell, Kwame, and potential rookie. Maxiell and Kwame shouldn't get more than 10 minutes a game. Maxiell was very disappointing last year.
    Anyone know how much cap room the pistons have now? I thought it was like 20m or something. Boozer is probably the big target this offseason but they will still have money left over to get a decent bench player if they sign boozer. Has anyone heard of any talk?

Edit: apparently it is only 17m? Ouch
    Last edited by detsportsfan3; 06-15-2009 at 11:53 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
    We need a legit center, I look at the roster and all I see is 6-__" under height. Haven't had a 7 footer in years it seems (honestly, who was the last one, darko?) I say trade the 3 2nd rounders away, not much talent in the 2nd and we don't really need to have 4 picks this year with pretty decent depth last year, considering amir and bynum were struggling for playing time. nbadraft.net has the pistons taking Center BJ Mullens with the 15th pick, he is listed at 7 foot with good size and a good arm span. I hate Ohio State but I definitely wouldn't mind taking him, and possibly trading up for him if he doesn't fall to 15. Definitely don't need a guard or PF. I think SF or C is the only way to go in the first and if Joe D doesn't draft one of these positions then I have really had enough of him.
    isnt kwame a legit 7'? He was decent off the bench for us last year.

Stern+refs=fail

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    isnt kwame a legit 7'? He was decent off the bench for us last year.
    6'11". Kwame has essentially run out of potential though, and I wouldn't re-sign him if he wanted 4m a year again. I'd rather start fresh by drafting a center with potential.

NBA lottery pick

Kwame has the size, he just doesn't have the skill. He is absolutely a bust at this point. A couple decent games in the regular season is not enough for me. I completely agree with detsportsfan3 in the fact that I would rather start out fresh. Gortat is a FA and I don't think Orlando will have the cash to keep him. He would be somebody I wouldn't mind having on our team. He could be a starter in the league.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Kwame has the size, he just doesn't have the skill. He is absolutely a bust at this point. A couple decent games in the regular season is not enough for me. I completely agree with detsportsfan3 in the fact that I would rather start out fresh. Gortat is a FA and I don't think Orlando will have the cash to keep him. He would be somebody I wouldn't mind having on our team. He could be a starter in the league.
    I do like the idea of gortat. I also like the idea of going after odom with our cash if rip/prince get traded for a 4.

NBA lottery pick

I'd much rather go after Josh Smith than Odom. I like Odom but he is so inconsistent. Smith is younger and has the potential to put up better numbers. The Hawks are rumored to have him on the block. I'm not sure what it would take to get him here though. I don't really want to give up Rip. People take it too lightly not having all-stars in the back court. You need at least one. Think back to all the NBA finals. How many teams didn't have an all-star in the back court? If we get rid of Tay we then need another SF. I think since we are under the cap we could make a trade where the money doesn't exactly match up though. Atlanta is looking to clear cap space to resign some of their FA's.

Stern+refs=fail

I'd much rather go after Josh Smith than Odom. I like Odom but he is so inconsistent. Smith is younger and has the potential to put up better numbers. The Hawks are rumored to have him on the block. I'm not sure what it would take to get him here though. I don't really want to give up Rip. People take it too lightly not having all-stars in the back court. You need at least one. Think back to all the NBA finals. How many teams didn't have an all-star in the back court? If we get rid of Tay we then need another SF. I think since we are under the cap we could make a trade where the money doesn't exactly match up though. Atlanta is looking to clear cap space to resign some of their FA's.
    I think Pistons fans underestimate how much rip means to the team like they did with chauncey. He is a consistent 18-20 ppg guy with a couple years left and a decent contract that WE KNOW produces in the system and wants to be here and do what is best for the team. The Iverson move was the first big change in team chemistry since 2004 and that completely blew uo. Now tay is my boy but he didn't impress me at all last season and I always thought he had decent trade value. But he is probably the least replacable guy on the team (sorry Herrmann) and that would limit to trading him for probably a different SF.
    Last edited by detsportsfan3; 06-17-2009 at 06:13 AM.

I think these are all reasonable possibilities, given most prospects other than lottery selections fluctuate anywhere between 15-20 different spots on different draft boards.

15th
    Earl Clark
    Austin Daye
    Eric Maynor
    Dajuan Summers (stretching it)

35th
    Patty Mills
    Jeff Pendergraph
    Taj Gibson

39th
    Pendergraph
    Leo Lyons
    Demarre Carroll
    Robert Dozier

44th
    Lyons
    Carroll
    Dozier
    Chris Johnson
    AJ Price

My ideal draft would then be:
    Clark
    Mills/Gibson
    Pendergraph
    Johnson/Lyons/Carroll/Dozier

The theme is getting bigger bodies and a fast, dribble-penetrating PG who can really run the offense.

Stern+refs=fail

We don't need aother PG, no way we can fit Stuckey, Bynum, and someone else in the rotation. At the beginning of last season, maybe, when Bynum wasn't playing. But he showed us what he can do and now he needs to get some good minutes in. And of course stuckey will get a lot of time (If it were up to me I would start Bynum and bench/trade stuck) And we definitely don't need a PF in any unless they would be willing to play SF, or if they were BPA and couldn't be passed up (Move Hansbrough to SF if he drops to 15?) You got Max/Amir(/Dice?) already off the bench. Max and Amir have years left on their contract and are going to be taking up bench spots the next couple of years. Kwame and Herrmann could both not return this year. We've seen enough of them to know what their roles are: Bench Players. Neither are that great and will be the future of this franchise. Stuckey, Afflalo, Maxiell, and Amir are all young and look like they could start one day in the future. Not to mention that Maxiell has 3 years left on his contract. Pistons NEED to draft Center or SF in the 1st. I really don't have that much faith in sharpe, I wish he played in the NBDL more so we could see what he is made of. Oh yeah, and as someone suggested earlier signing Gortat would be awesome.

NBA lottery pick

I disagree about not going after a PF, because right now we don't have a starter at that position. I think a guy like Hansborough can start for a team right away. I also think someone like Austin Daye could be very good although he isn't a starter right away. If we go after Mullens it will be years before we potentially see him shine. I think if they make a trade Amir will have to be involved too (because they would need his salary involved). So he won't be someone who would come off the bench for us, if any of those rumors out there are true. I actually wouldn't mind trading him now because he still has some value.

I do agree about not going after a PG. We have enough.

I still think that Stuckey is more suited for the 2, even though he won't be played at that spot as long as we have Rip on our team. Since Stuckey's been labeled as the future of the team and Rip is more or less on his way out, it seems logical that the team should look to move rip and get something for him, move Stuckey to his more natural SG position, and then there would be a need for a PG. But I didn't say that before :-P

I also agree that the Pistons need to try and get some legitimate post players, something which probably won't happen through the draft. Boozer or David Lee would be a good addition, no doubt, but even a lesser frontcourt player like Channing Frye, Leon Powe, or Marcin Gortat would help.

With this being said, would it be worth it to draft Taj Gibson at 15? That's probably a little early, but we definitely need help in the post

Stern+refs=fail

No chance at 15, maybe one of the 2nd round picks. Forgot to ask, is there another rodney stuckey in this years draft? Like a player who averages a lot of ppg but plays for a smaller college?

NBA lottery pick

I actually really like the idea of going after David Lee. He's a hard working kind of person who would fit in Detroit well. I think he's pretty underrated too. I think we could probably get Gortat and either Lee or Boozer. Especially if we let Kwame go.

I really don't think Rip is on his way out. Why would anybody think that? Just because Joe D might make some trades? Where is he going to get a better 2 gaurd at? I just don't see them getting rid of Rip. Especially after how bad the whole AI experiment went.

Stern+refs=fail

I disagree about not going after a PF, because right now we don't have a starter at that position. I think a guy like Hansborough can start for a team right away. I also think someone like Austin Daye could be very good although he isn't a starter right away. If we go after Mullens it will be years before we potentially see him shine. I think if they make a trade Amir will have to be involved too (because they would need his salary involved). So he won't be someone who would come off the bench for us, if any of those rumors out there are true. I actually wouldn't mind trading him now because he still has some value.

I do agree about not going after a PG. We have enough.
    Once we trade Amir/Maxiell I'll consider drafting a PF. I think Maxiell and Amir could be starters and I'm just not fine with drafting in one of our strongest positions. Although you are correct, if dice leaves we have no starting PF. A lot of moves can decide on free agency though (Boozer or Gordon?) So I'm guessing Joe D has the best idea of what he will need to fill come draft time. If hansbrough falls to 15 though I wouldn't mind drafting him and working things out. To say a 15th pick would be able to start right away for any team is a stretch. If hansbrough could start right away he would go top 10 or higher. Yeah, I'm not sure about Mullens, it doesn't seem like a good draft year for centers, maybe next year. Still I think we need a freaking 7 footer. But Hansbrough is probably the only PF I would be willing to take at 15. Bottom line is I think there are a lot of ifs that only Joe D knows and that will affect the draft. If he plans on trading Amir/Max and signing Gordon he will probably draft PF, if he plans on signing Boozer he probably won't, etc.

Stern+refs=fail

I actually really like the idea of going after David Lee. He's a hard working kind of person who would fit in Detroit well. I think he's pretty underrated too. I think we could probably get Gortat and either Lee or Boozer. Especially if we let Kwame go.

I really don't think Rip is on his way out. Why would anybody think that? Just because Joe D might make some trades? Where is he going to get a better 2 gaurd at? I just don't see them getting rid of Rip. Especially after how bad the whole AI experiment went.
    Lee in Detroit would be awesome. It will never happen though. Underrated? I don't think so. Isn't he the guy who had like an insane amount of double doubles?

And and we wouldn't be letting Kwame go, it is his choice whether he wants to play this year for Detroit and take the 4m. Unfortunately, if we could let him go they might be able to afford Gordon+Boozer if they were to trade Amir away.
    Last edited by detsportsfan3; 06-17-2009 at 06:56 PM.