In: Reggie Jackson, Tay Prince

Out: Augustin, Singler, jerebko, Datome

Projected starting lineup,

C - Dre
    PF - Moose
    SF - Prince
    SG - KCP
    PG - Jackson

Pretty excited to see what this unit can do. Let's see if Jackson really is a stud. Prince is getting on in age, but he is still a great complimentary glue guy, a leader, a defender, a smart basketball player that makes smart plays.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Welcome to Motor City, Reggie Jackson

On paper it looks like we really lost that particular trade. Jackson and Augustin seem like they're at very similar skill levels. OKC looks like they won getting a very good backup PG and Kanter who can really help them down low. Augustin was putting up pretty good numbers. I'm not sure Jackson's will be significantly better.

I think the Prince for Jerebko & Datome is irrelevant. Prince is pretty much done at this point. Jerebko and Datome aren't even rotation players.

Reggie wants to be a starter. I wonder what all that means for Jennings. SVG must be thinking about trading him in the off season.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

I guess Reggie auditions for the future PG role - if he finishes the season strong and shows a heap, then I'd say we offer him a big contract, and look to move Jennings who will only have 1 year left on his contract,

If Jackson disappointing, then we don't need to re-sign him, we can stick with Jennings and sell it to him that the only reason we got Jackson was a short term lease to push for playoffs this year.

This gives us flexibility

And in my opinion Jackson is a fair bit of an upgrade over DJ (I really like DJ). Jackson seems like he has far better tools for the way this league is built and is still a couple of years away from reaching his prime...

NBA lottery pick

I'm not the only one that thinks Detroit lost that trade.
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/2...ustin-analysis

SVG cut off Josh Smith. Pistons go on a tear. Pistons are now 1.5 games out of the playoffs after being considered, by some, the worst franchise in the league.

In SVG I trust.

Reggie Jackson?... Brandon Jennings? Pffft...

In Spencer we trust!

Dinwiddie 12/8 and 3 steals and +19 whilst on the floor Vs Derrick Rose 8/2 with 6 turnovers and -19 whilst on the floor....

NBA lottery pick

I do want Dinwiddie to get a chance. We need to see what we have with these young guys.

Van Gundy sees in Jackson a terrific pick-and-roll player who should flourish in that role when paired with Andre Drummond. Jackson's primary pick-and-roll option in Oklahoma City was finding an open Kevin Durant, so there'll be an adjustment period, but the center-point guard pick and roll is the staple of Van Gundy's offense and he now has two young players

Well Jenning's was looking great this year in that pick and roll with Dre. I still find it interesting how everyone is labeling Jackson the PG of our future when he is going to be a free agent at the end of the year AND we have Jennings still on our team.

If it were me, I wouldn't be saying too much - see how Jackson goes for the rest of the year, treat the rest of the season like an audition - if he dominates, then we sign him long term and label him PG of the future - if he under achieves / struggles, then we don't HAVE to sign him, we stick with Jennings and we tell Jennings the only reason we made the trade for Jackson was to make a playoff push for THIS year (but we had no intention of signing him long term becuase we are well and truly behind you, Brandon)...

Either way, i'm excited to see what he can do - a LOT of people rate him extremely high, let's hope he can feed the big dogs down low and everyone will be happy

NBA lottery pick

I think in Van Gundy's system every PG can put up good numbers. Once Josh Smith was removed from the situation it really showed that. Smith handled the ball so much that it took away from the PG's. After he left Jennings showed he was extremely capable. Augustin did well and I think Jackson will too. I'm just not sure he's actually better than Jennings. It was an odd trade. Especially just to be a first round exit in the playoffs.

If Jackson helps us move from 9th or 10th in the standings to scrapping a spot in the playoffs, I think this move is instantly successful. I feel like i'd rather sacrifice pick 13ish for pick 16ish to give this young Pistons team some playoff experience. Give them a taste / give them a look at what it takes to win a 7 game series / make them hungry to return. I think it would be invaluable experience for them.

I still like DJ better than Jackson, but getting rid of Singler makes the trade a net win for us.

Not to mention Jackson is much younger than DJ.

If we do resign Jackson and keep Jennings, it's not much different from the Jennings/Augustin situation we had earlier in the year.

Having two equal talent point guards doesn't hurt.

^^ Granted DJ is a very, very high end bench player who I think any team would be lucky to have due to his team first / no ego attitude. I still think Reggie has a long way to go in terms of the end product he could turn out to be. I think at worst this trade will be a break even for us, and at best an absolute steal for us (If Reggie turns out to be the PG so many experts around the L think he could develop into). Great calculated move by SVG

Watching him for the first time as a Piston tonight he really impressed me with his ability to get to the rim and especially his finishing ability on both sides of the body.

Decent college freshman

THere are zero ways we are even capable of losing this trade. I'm not sure I'd call it a loss if Jackson gets injured tomorrow and leaves in FA

The only way we could have lost this trade is if Reggie signed that 4 year / 48 mill contract and he turned out to be not as great as he thinks. He would then be hard to move. We have all the power this offseason, a little bit of a "try before you buy" situation really...

I like Reggie because he has some serious size about him - for example;

Rose 6'3 and 190 pounds
    Westbrook 6'3 and 200 pounds
    Reggie 6'3 and 210 pounds

Seems to be the prototypical size of future PG's