Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Talk!

Default Draft Talk!

According to ISH We got 3 picks:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/draft-order.shtml

15th

35th

44th

Who is/should Joe D. be targeting. It think its pretty obvious that we should be looking at F & C.
    Last edited by A_RastaMon; 05-21-2009 at 09:00 PM.

I Grift

Default Re: Draft Talk!

All of the F/C except Thabeet and Mullens are undersized.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

I see chad ford has Austin Daye as our 15th pick. I think its cause hes kinda built like Tay. Some other site has tyler hansborough and another had.... cant recall right now. It sounds like mullens will be there at 15 if we want him. Im not sold on him. Honestly, I dont know what they should do. I dont think anyone they draft with contribute next year anyways. Id rather see us steal one of the Jazz bigs and bring in someone like Gortat with some of the remainder.

I think our picks are actually: 15, 36, 39 and 44.

A lot of good prospects are left at 15. However, they are all points, combos, or Maxiell like 4s.

I honestly don't know much about Daye, he'd have to strictly be a 3 in the NBA though.

I'm a big fan of Eric Maynor, however we have a pretty crowded backcourt. I'm also a big proponent of trading Hamilton, but that won't happen.

BJ Mullens is a big name and someone who could be available. With Sheed gone, we'll definately need some size. He can finish, but at this point he needs to be on a team with someone that can create for him. We don't have that player or system.

Chase Budinger is a guy we could take a good look at. He's a 2 but could play backup behind Prince too. He's got a good 3pt shot, which no one on our team has. He's athletic and isn't selfish, but doesn't have good defense or handles. His defense would probably improve in the NBA as he'd be an 18 minute a night kind of guy, not the focus of the offense. He wouldn't have to worry about getting into foul trouble.

With the second round picks, some guys I think we may consider:

Jodie Meeks
    Dionte Chrismas
    AJ Price
    Jonas Jerebko
    Last edited by Kombo; 05-21-2009 at 03:49 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Some people have us picking DeJuan Blair but I really don't want another Maxiell like player. No offense to Maxiell but you can only have so many 6'7" PF's on a team. I'd rather have Hansborough than Blair.

This draft isn't a very good one. I'd almost prefer that we try to package together some of these picks in a trade. If we can't do that we may as well take on a project with "upside" because there isn't anything at #15 that is going to be an instant contributor. BJ Mullens is supposed to be around at that spot. I say we take a gamble on him. Maybe a couple years from now he can be a 10 and 10 type guy. Austin Daye is a guy that could be a solid contributor at the 4 position. The best available players will probably be PG's like Jeff Teague and Jrue Holiday. We have Stuckey and Bynum so I don't think Detroit will go that route, plus we could still get someone like AJ Price in the 2nd round.

So I say trade it, Mullens, Daye, and it doesn't matter after that in that order.

NBA lottery pick

This was in the rumors today....

Former Grosse Pointe North standout Michael Bramos was among 20 prospects who visited the Pistons this week for predraft workouts and interviews. Bramos, a 6-foot-5, 220-pound shooting guard who scored more than 1,500 points in four years at Miami (Ohio), is likely a candidate for one of the Pistons' three second-round picks or a summer-league invitee as a free agent. Detroit Free Press

Among other Pistons invitees were Arizona small forward Chase Budinger and Kentucky shooting guard Jodie Meeks. Either player could be selected by the Pistons with their first-round pick at No. 15, but that's considered a longshot. Both also could return to school since they are juniors. Detroit Free Press

Other invitees included UAB shooting guard Robert Vaden, Marquette small forward Wes Matthews, North Carolina small forward Danny Green, Miami (Fla.) point guard Jack McClinton, Gonzaga point guard Jeremy Pargo, Temple shooting guard Dionte Christmas and Nando De Colo, a point guard from France. Detroit Free Press

That rumor shows us hosting a ton of the highly productive 4-year players that could be available in the 2nd.

Really the only player I consider a first rounder is Budinger (not Meeks like the article states). It's strange they call Budinger a small forward. Yes he'd play some behind Prince, but the guy is large for the 2, small for the 3. He's amazingly athletic but really not a quick defender. He'd maybe be able to guard the 2 in this league with his size, but I think he'd get bullied at the 3.

I like a lot of the guys they brought in, but I'm curious what we are going to do with all these picks. Maybe we'll really start utilizing the D league, build a baseball like organization. Four rookies is a lot. If we do plan on keeping them, we'll probably only end up with 3 selected as we will send 2 picks to someone to move up a few slots, just to guarantee we get a prospect we like.

Edit: I guess I'm wrong. In reading real quick it looks like Budinger has been trying out as a 3. Last year he did more so at the 2. Either way, as much as he brings offensely, his defense is ugly. He may be able to change that in a different atmosphere, a little effort can go a long way.
    Last edited by Kombo; 05-24-2009 at 05:23 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

yeah, that workout looks like their 2nd round potentials. I was wondering what we were gonna do with 4 picks (plus plaisted and washington, though I really doubt either comes over). That 36 and 39 could get us a pair of nice prospects or be traded up for someone. Its always interesting to watch, but I dont think the draft does much for us next year. From my limited college watching and the draft **** ive read, I kinda like Daye. If he really is capable of being an LO type 3/4, that would fill a major need for us IMO.

NBA lottery pick

The more I think about it, the more I think Tyler Hansborough could be a good fit. I don't think he'll ever be an all-star but he could be a solid, productive player. After seeing the results of the combine he has a very impressive wingspan and is 6'9" in his bball shoes. We definintely need help on the front line. I think Joe D should seriously consider picking him... if he's available. His draft stock has went way up.

NBA lottery pick

Here's the latest:

The Pistons have supposedly narrowed their list of players they are considering to four and will pick from those at 15. Jrue Holiday has impressed Detroit and could be among the four players they have in their list.
    I'd like to know who the other 3 players are... Anyway I like big PG's as they can really create matchup problems. The funny thing is draft express said the best case scenario is this guy is like Rodney Stuckey... check it out: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jrue-Holiday-1108/

Maybe if they draft him they are thinking about trading Hamilton and moving Stuckey to the 2 or maybe even trading Stuckey. We could have an all UCLA backcourt with Holiday and Afflalo.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Here's the latest:

I'd like to know who the other 3 players are... Anyway I like big PG's as they can really create matchup problems. The funny thing is draft express said the best case scenario is this guy is like Rodney Stuckey... check it out: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jrue-Holiday-1108/

Maybe if they draft him they are thinking about trading Hamilton and moving Stuckey to the 2 or maybe even trading Stuckey. We could have an all UCLA backcourt with Holiday and Afflalo.

No More Guards Mon!

(Unless We somehow trade them for an elite big)

Stern+refs=fail

We need a legit center, I look at the roster and all I see is 6-__" under height. Haven't had a 7 footer in years it seems (honestly, who was the last one, darko?) I say trade the 3 2nd rounders away, not much talent in the 2nd and we don't really need to have 4 picks this year with pretty decent depth last year, considering amir and bynum were struggling for playing time. nbadraft.net has the pistons taking Center BJ Mullens with the 15th pick, he is listed at 7 foot with good size and a good arm span. I hate Ohio State but I definitely wouldn't mind taking him, and possibly trading up for him if he doesn't fall to 15. Definitely don't need a guard or PF. I think SF or C is the only way to go in the first and if Joe D doesn't draft one of these positions then I have really had enough of him.
    Last edited by detsportsfan3; 06-15-2009 at 10:56 PM.

NBA lottery pick

I wouldn't mind picking Mullens. We would have to keep in mind that he would be a project type of guy. He isn't the type that can come in and start for most teams in the league. He's got a lot of learning to do.

Stern+refs=fail

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I wouldn't mind picking Mullens. We would have to keep in mind that he would be a project type of guy. He isn't the type that can come in and start for most teams in the league. He's got a lot of learning to do.
    Agreed, it sounds like he needs some work to be NBA ready but I like his size and that is something you can't work on. Although who is the last young piston to just come out and play? I guess you could argue Stuckey but it seems like we still rushed him. Maxiell and Amir got hardly anytime their 1st years. I really like having Maxiell and Amir but I feel like we need to get rid of one within the next year or two. I think Amir was insanely underrated last year when he was starting, he could explode at some moments, but what I don't get is why he didn't more often. Did he not want the ball or did curry not want to give it to him? You would see him play the 1st quarter and get like 5 rebounds and get some really easy dunks/shots. But some games he really did nothing or didn't get enough time to do anything. But it would be hard giving Amir, Maxiell, and Mullens all time off the bench next year, it would limit all of them.

NBA lottery pick

Right now playing time for the Forwards should be easy to split up. Sheed is definitely out from what it sounds like so Amir should definitely be starting. Kwame isn't a starter. He can be decent off the bench but we will have a very long season if he is getting significant minutes. We need to sign a big name F. So really the rotation would be the potential signing, Amir, Maxiell, Kwame, and potential rookie. Maxiell and Kwame shouldn't get more than 10 minutes a game. Maxiell was very disappointing last year.