Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tennis - 2015 Australian Open Thread

That was so inspiring .. guy nearly threw up, sick, visibly shaken, kept playing and playing.. and won.. classic Rafa, warrior

Freakin Nadal... took him 5 sets to win. I can't watch because it's in the middle of the night for me, but when I woke up to check the score I was shocked. Hopefully this is his usual fight in the early rounds and he heats up after it. He's been taken to 5 sets against no names before and romped through.

At this point, we all know he is susceptible to being upset by hard hitters in early rounds. Let's get him to the 2nd week.

I only watched the first two sets... but Rafa should have rolled this guy. I'm actually shocked that a baseline player with no serve and no volley skills could take Rafa 5 sets.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I watched the first four sets of the Rafa match, but than I had to get to bed. He pretty much has no chance at winning this tournament...like he said himself.

Wozniacki vs Azarenka playing now. Tough draw for Caroline to get Victoria in the 3rd round.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I only watched the first two sets... but Rafa should have rolled this guy. I'm actually shocked that a baseline player with no serve and no volley skills could take Rafa 5 sets.
    Didn't watch the whole match, but he looked injured. Like you said his opponent was useless away from the baseline, but Nadal looked too tired/injured to make some shot he normally would.

Quote Originally Posted by alenleomessi

Dumbass question, but thank you.

Reportedly he had the stomach flu. Think he threw up between sets 3 and 4 iirc. Dude looked OK to start the match but progressively began getting paler and paler and sweating profusely, looked like he was gonna pass out at one point before he got medication. Ugly match and shit circumstances, but he is seriously the mentally toughest tennis player I've ever seen, probably all time arguably with Borg. Great players really do find a way.

Still don't think he's a favorite like Nole and Fed, but I also don't think we should write him off just yet. He looked great against Youzhny and he was clearly not well against Smyczek..so if anything I think we should go by his 1st round form. Also it's great to hit these extra shots and get tested early rather than later, even if it was because he was sick..he'll be fine imo. He's just lucky his draw is comically easy, if his opponent last round was just 1% better he would've lost...a top 20 player would've raped him.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer

Dumbass question, but thank you.
    too cute for sports

Why are there so many Rafa fans? I didn't realize there were so many fans of moonballing on here. I never found a player running, playing defense the whole time, waiting for errors, and occasionally hitting a winner fun to watch.

Makes you wonder how much a better player like Agassi would have won in this era of slow courts.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Why are there so many Rafa fans? I didn't realize there were so many fans of moonballing on here. I never found a player running, playing defense the whole time, waiting for errors, and occasionally hitting a winner fun to watch.

Makes you wonder how much a better player like Agassi would have won in this era of slow courts.

I don't get it either. People just like his hustle I guess. Don't get me wrong, I like to see some long rallies as well... but I also prefer a match with more winners than unforced errors. I don't want to see a match won because one guy was simply willing and able to run more.

It's funny you mention Agassi, because the slowing of the balls and courts really began in the late 90's, in response to the serving dominance of Sampras.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

Probably because Rafa isn't a moonballer. That is the type of generalization made by someone who doesn't watch the game.

"Occasionally hitting a winner"

It's like saying Lebron has nothing in his game but bulldozing to the rim. If we're being sincere and not trolling, it's a retarded statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Probably because Rafa isn't a moonballer. That is the type of generalization made by someone who doesn't watch the game.

"Occasionally hitting a winner"

It's like saying Lebron has nothing in his game but bulldozing to the rim. If we're being sincere and not trolling, it's a retarded statement.

I thought it was interesting the other night when Brad Gilbert said he thinks Nadal actually has the best volley on tour, because of his ability to convert such a high % on so few attempts. I don't agree with Brad, but it's a testament to just how good Nadal is. Brad also thinks Nadal has the best overhead shot on tour as well, something I've never really attempted to evaluate. I think Nadal really took his game to an all-time level when he improved his serve though.

seppi up 2 sets to love on federer