Charles Barkley
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Blake Griffin
    Hakeem Olajuwon

College superstar

Default Re: Underrated and Overrated NBA Players

i'm undecided about hakeem

1993-1995 was his league imo. people confuse his peak for 1994 and 1995, but they forget about the 1993 season. hakeem did everything that year as well, winning big games, while playing epic on the big stage. in the regular season, hakeem averaged 26 PTS /13 REB /4 AST /4 BLK on 53% FG. in the playoffs overall, hakeem averaged an insane 26/14/5/5 on great efficiency.

he was also second in MVP voting. above jordan, and should have been MVP - but was without question, arguably the best player in the league.

but aside from that, hakeem had seasons where he left a lot on the table.

tim duncan is MASSIVELY overrated though. good call. at their very best, i feel that david robinson was. better during his peak and prime. duncan hasn't even been the best player on his team, for years now, yet that 2014 title somehow indoctrinated him into "top 5" status.

lol

he's a top 10 player, but nowhere near 5. shaq, hakeem and even wilt are better.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Overrated: Malone,Russell,Nash,Melo,Dirk.
    Underrated:Wade,Duncan,Mchale,Isiah Thomas.
    How is Duncan overrated? He is praised as a team player and as a solid rock for the Spurs to build around him,
    but people can't see past the fact that he is "boring". He isn't praised as an individual as he should be. He was 39 this year and was the best player for SA in the Clippers series.
    Last edited by robby712; 09-01-2015 at 12:47 PM.

I would add Dirk and KG to the underrated list.

Not sure I would put Blake in there just yet, but Duncan and Barkley are spot on.

Decent playground baller

Overrated - abdul, hakeem, shakeel, kg

Underrated- DRob, stockton, malone, kemp, gp, pippen, ewing

Banned

Malone has to be underrated

2 Decades of dominance, Record points holder, 2 MVPs in the period of Jordan, In any other period of time he would have won a ring... That Chicago team was just too deep. 3 Finals appearances... Integral team player type. GOAT conditioning and work ethic. That was the difference between his career and Barkley's.

Chauncey Billups is ridiculously underrated. He was extremely efficient and consistent and seemingly made the teams he was on instantly better.

Alot of people don't even remember he was once a top 5 MVP candidate (in '06 right behind Kobe). He has 7 all star selections, 1 All NBA 2nd team selection, 2 All NBA 3rd team selections and 2 All defensive 2nd team selections.

People IMO weigh team success too heavily when looking at individuals but if you're one of those guys you're looking at a player who has a ring, FMVP and made the conference finals 7 straight times, finals twice.

I have no idea why he isn't mentioned more when talking about the greatest PG's in history.

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Underrated:
    Karl Malone
    Allen Iverson
    Chris Webber
    Chris Paul
    DeMarcus Cousins
    David Robinson
    Moses Malone

Overrated:
    Charles Barkley
    Kevin Garnett
    Tim Duncan
    Blake Griffin
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    I think I'll trust the words of the man who's coached him for over 18 years:

One last Q&A with Gregg Popovich

Anything surprise you about the season?

“As far as players are concerned I don’t know if it’s quite a surprise but I continue to be amazed by Tim Duncan. He was our most consistent player in the playoffs, at 39. He needed a little more help and I feel badly he didn’t get it. It wasn’t for lack of trying.

“To watch him is pretty spectacular, in itself. Even our players shake their heads at his performance at both ends of the floor. He wants it badly and does it the right way. It’s not about bells and whistles and grunting and dancing and doing commercials and all of that stuff. He just does it quietly and that’s why we feel badly when we don’t get it done for him.”

2015 Playoffs
    Duncan 17.9 pts / 11.1 rebs / 3.3 asst / 1.4 blk 58.9%

He did that damage in 35.7 minutes per game, proving he's still the centerpiece of San Antonio's relentless accomplishment. Time hasn't slowed Duncan by most meaningful metrics. It's only highlighted the extent to which he remains the thread that ties everything else together. The numbers have been pretty conclusive too. One way or another, this has been Duncan's team since 1997.

As ESPN's Marc Stein noted in June 2014, Buford once famously said, "The truth is we all work for Timmy."

Former Spur and current Spurs television analyst Sean Elliott elaborated on that sentiment.

"We all see it R.C.'s way," he told Stein. "We're not dumb. We all know we wouldn't have any rings without Timmy. Everybody understands that. We all feel like we're working for Timmy.

"We joke about it, but I think the organization feels that way because he's such a special talent. They've been trying to surround him with the right group ever since they got him. They're always working for him."
    Last edited by rmt; 09-01-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Bird is overrated. O'Neal is overrated in an unconventional way.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    2015 Playoffs
    Duncan 17.9 pts / 11.1 rebs / 3.3 asst / 1.4 blk 58.9%

I think I'll trust the words of the man who's coached him for over 18 years:

One last Q&A with Gregg Popovich

Anything surprise you about the season?

“As far as players are concerned I don’t know if it’s quite a surprise but I continue to be amazed by Tim Duncan. He was our most consistent player in the playoffs, at 39. He needed a little more help and I feel badly he didn’t get it. It wasn’t for lack of trying.

“To watch him is pretty spectacular, in itself. Even our players shake their heads at his performance at both ends of the floor. He wants it badly and does it the right way. It’s not about bells and whistles and grunting and dancing and doing commercials and all of that stuff. He just does it quietly and that’s why we feel badly when we don’t get it done for him.”
    Duncan is a very consistent player, but he's lucky to be playing in an era where there's little to no toughness in the low post...compare today's big men to the 90s/early 2000s.... It also helps that he is a very smart player and that he plays on a team with a lot of weapons, thus opposing teams don't game plan to stop him. He knows how to get his points with the least amount of effort.

With that being said, Duncan is one of the more underrated players in NBA history, to me he is the best big man of all-time after Kareem in terms of accomplishments and longetivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Bird is overrated. O'Neal is overrated in an unconventional way.
    Bird to me is rather underrated these days, because people say that he wouldn't be able to play at a high level in today's league, which apparently is that much more athletic, when in reality he would be even better, considering all the extra spacing and no handchecking, 3pt happy offenses which would complement his shooting ability, he was a very skilled player. He would drop 50-60 points just to prove a point and he was a gifted playmaker.

Shaq only gets overrated by Kobe haters.
    Last edited by ImKobe; 09-01-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Decent college freshman

Duncan is overrated

Hakeem becoming underrated

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    “As far as players are concerned I don’t know if it’s quite a surprise but I continue to be amazed by Tim Duncan."
    i love when people quote popovich, the guy that mentored duncan and ingrained him into his system.

its like, why would he have anything bad to say about him?

I second Chauncey Billups. In fact most of the 2004 Pistons starting five is underrated: Richard Hamilton in particular (no one talks about him anymore, even though he was the leading scorer on a championship team…) but also to some extent, Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince. Rasheed Wallace I'd say is neither under nor overrated.

Other players from the post Jordan era most that are underrated imo would be:

- Jermaine O'Neal. 6 time all-star, 3 time all-NBA team, top 5 in MVP voting in 2004. Seems to have been largely forgotten.

- Vince Carter. For some reason people have elevated Tracy McGrady to the rank of "might've been GOAT" (on the strength of one season) while Vince Carter is primarily remembered as the gold standard for dunking. In fact their body of work outside of that one season is quite comparable, for example Vince is an 8 time all-star to TMac's 7 (fewer all-NBA teams though)… he also was a more efficient shooter, and did make it past the first round (several times in fact, including a run of 30 ppg and another of 27 ppg). He certainly wasn't as talented as his cousin, but in terms of actual effectiveness on the court he wasn't that far behind…

- Elton Brand. Averaged 20 and 10 more times than I can remember, including a 25 and 10 season where he was an MVP candidate. Oh, and he somehow made the Clippers relevant. He even had them reach game 7 of the second round… which to this day is still the best the Clippers have done. (One day, Chris. One day.)

- Chris Webber. Out-of-this-world basketball talent (those passes…). 5 time all-star. Best player on what could've been (many say "should've been" a championship team. Seems to have dropped from the PF conversation due to the dominance of Duncan, KG and Dirk.

- Peja Stojakovic. 3 time all-star, one time NBA candidate. One of the great sharpshooters… More versatile than given credit for (he would occasionally play lockdown defense in the fourth quarter of an important game, leaving you to wonder why he hadn't done it before)

Also Amar'e, Iso Joe, Michael Redd and Andrei Kirilenko…
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 09-01-2015 at 02:27 PM.

I'm opening a can of worms here but Michael Jordan is the most overrated player of all-time. I'll admit he's arguably the greatest player of all-time, but he more than any other player in NBA history, and probably of any sport for that matter, has the biggest fanbase that actually believe Jordan is >>>>>>>>>than the next player in league history. Not just at shooting guard, or even guard, PLAYER.
    It's the only fanbase that would take something arguable and proclaim it definitive.

Duncan for me is definitely overrated.. used to be the end of top 10, now since 2013, people have him top 5 and what not.. I don't just say it because his rep has changed, I legit feel he doesn't deserve to be that high.