Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Marbury drops 50 points and 13 assists with Kobe guarding him.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    50 and 13. Which point guard in the NBA right now could drop that?
    Rondo almost did it in the playoffs.

Westbrook can do it.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Westbrook can do it.
    I was going to put Rondo, but that's only absolutely if his shot is falling. Westbrook I don't know. The 50 points I can see, but for him to get 13 assists he'd have to flawlessly shift between scoring and passing.

I was going to put Rondo, but that's only absolutely if his shot is falling. Westbrook I don't know. The 50 points I can see, but for him to get 13 assists he'd have to flawlessly shift between scoring and passing.
    Westbrook averaged over 8 assist before, he can get 13.

When Deron dropped 57, how many assist did he rack up?

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by franchise#3
    Kobe had a sprained groin during that game
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

I think the 60 point game by Gilbert Arenas was a worser rape job to Kobe than this Marbury game. Plus the Wizards won. .

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    wow.. he was blowing by/crossing Kobe every single try... checkout 3:17, he broke 2 players ankles haha

...and the finish, those clutch treys.... omfg...
    They went down like bowling pins. I don't know if I ever saw two players go for broke. Ha. One was on a time lapse.

Banned

in that game,

marbury and van horn combined for 70 points

kobe and shaq combined for 70 points

marbury/kvh = kobe/shaq ?

Just 1 Rational Fan lbj23clutch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noob Saibot
    I think the 60 point game by Gilbert Arenas was a worser rape job to Kobe than this Marbury game. Plus the Wizards won. .
    If i recall correctly, Kobe wasn't the primary defender on Arenas that game. That game was EPIC nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by lbj23clutch
    To be fair, Kobe made the gamewinning and-one to win the game. Kobe was getting owned throughout the game by Marbury, but made the most important shot of the game. Clutch.

That's a metaphor for their careers if I've ever seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Westbrook can do it.
    I don't think Westbrook can do it. When he's hot, he'll ride it till the end of the game. And I don't know about Rondo, he was uncharacteristically hitting jumpshots all over the place during that historic game vs the Heat in the PO, which RARELY happens because of his below average jump shot. I'd say Rose has a better chance of putting up 50 and 13.
    Last edited by lbj23clutch; 06-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win

That's a metaphor for their careers if I've ever seen one.
    Yup typical Kobe. Always hitting big shots no matter the circumstance. Like that game this year vs the Hornets where he was like 2-18 and then hit the game winner. What a boss

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

dude was putting in the buisness

4 clips of Kobe guarding a dude who's on fire using picks left and right...........

7-time NBA All-Star

I uploaded this entire game a while ago. This has always been a very memorable game, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7gvOaXo7-g

Marbury was very entertaining in his prime, I was actually a fan back then. Still one of the most talented point guards I've seen, and he wasn't just a complete cancer for his entire career.

He started the '99-'00 season off incredibly selfish, it was a big story, he was scoring a ton, but jacking up a ton of shots, the Nets couldn't win and his reputation couldn't be worse. Then, it seemed as though he "figured it out", he was still a scoring point guard, but doing a much better job facilitating and playing much smarter, and a bad Net team was actually playing around .500 ball for virtually a 4 month stretch after that disastrous start.

It also seemed like '03 was Marbury's year leading a young Suns team to the playoffs. And he did go to a Knicks team well under .500 in '04, and led them to the playoffs. While Marbury was a disaster here in NY towards the end of his career, and I can say that he did play well initially, and even in '05 when the team wasn't winning, Marbury played like a star, but had very little talent around him.

I'm not saying he'd be my first pick at PG, but while he always had his critic, the perception of him around his prime form '99 or so through '05, wasn't what it is today. And with the game being called in a way that favors point guards, Marbury would likely be more successful today.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    KObe = the most overrated defender of all time
    Depends on the year. Kobe was a great defender who was consistently motivated during the 2000 season. His on the ball defense was phenomenal, and he asked guys like Jordan, Eddie Jones and Gary Payton for tips defensively prior to that season.

Kobe was arguably the best perimeter defender in the league in 2000 along with guys like Pippen and Eddie Jones.

It was that NBC Sunday game vs the Sixers when he switched onto Iverson in the second half and held him scoreless that really caused everyone to take notice.

His effort dropped off slightly in the '01 season as his scoring increased, but not that much, and he was still very good.

3peat Kobe was very good defensively, and he was motivated again for the '07-'08 season after dropping 20 pounds and becoming a defensive stopper for team USA.

So, the all-defensive 1st teams and 2nd teams that Kobe deserved, imo were 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2008.

With that being said, some of the selections have been a joke, and while there's always been an unfair bias towards stars, I have no idea how Kobe has continued making the all-defensive team the last 3 seasons, and in oarticular, him making the all-defensive team in 2007 and 2011 were hard to believe.

50 and 13. Which point guard in the NBA right now could drop that?
    That's how talented Marbury was. Just talking about skills and pure ability and talent, he was more gifted and had more potential, imo than the scoring point guards we have now like Rose and Westbrook.

Marbury actually had five 40/10 games.

50/3/12, 5 TO, 17/26 FG, 4/8 3P, 12/16 FT in '01 vs the Lakers
    45/6/10, 6 TO, 12/22 FG, 6/8 3P, 15/16 FT in '05 vs the Lakers
    41/2/11, 1 TO, 13/24 FG, 4/10 3P, 11/14 FT in '99 vs the Bucks
    41/4/11, 0 TO, 15/28 FG, 4/6 3P, 7/8 FT in '03 vs the Mavs
    40/4/12, 0 TO, 16/24 FG, 8/11 FT in '99 vs the Rockets

And outside of Payton's 24/7/9 in 2000, Marbury's 24/3/8 in '01 is just about the most impressive statistical season for a scoring point guard in the last 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Noob Saibot
    Well, there's a big difference considering Kobe was an elite defender in '01, while he did not play good defense in '07. Plus, going by memory, I remember Kobe guarding Marbury a lot more than he guarded Arenas. He only started guarding Arenas late in that game, iirc, other than a possession here or there.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 06-25-2012 at 01:59 AM.