Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Default Re: Andrew Bynum pissed about All-Star results, says Stoudemire is not even a center

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    You have a point when you say he hasn't done anything over a long period of time to prove he is an all star in the past, but SO FAR this season he has. You can't just assume he's going to regress, because he did the opposite of that the past two seasons. Also, keep in mind that all stars are selected based on both their stats and team success.. and Bynum is also a better defender than both Kaman and Jefferson. So there is no other deserving West center than him this season.
    Sure. He may keep up a similar level of production. If he is averaging these numbers come the middle of January I will agree he should be an all-star. Right now the case for him being an all-star is essentially based on 10 games.

Team success is a factor but it shouldn't be. The ASG should reward the best players, not merely good players like Mo Williams who happens to play on a great team.

Yeah, if I had to pick a C from the West I would take him right now. However, Amare is on the ballot as a C so I would take him the same way I would take Duncan as a PF in previous years even though he actually played C.

Im pretty much of the mindset that Bynum hasnt been on the court enough for the last few years to be compared to ANY big men. Once dude can string together a few seasons of 70+ games, I think we can all begin comparing. And even then, im being generous, because he REALLY needs to play a few full seasons. Frankly at this point, I think he has been injured a bit too much.
    I agree. My guess is his final averages will be 16-17/8-9. Yeah, he could score more as the #1 option but you could say the same thing about a lot of players. He is a very good player, probably an all-star but for someone to say he is better than a proven superstar like Amare is ridiculous imo.

No GM would pick a 22 year old 7 footer that has TONS of potential over a 27 year old PF that has no D at all? Find me a GM that thinks that and I'll find you a GM that should be fired. You're telling me if LA could they would trade Bynum for Amar'e?
    No D? Ask Dwight about that.

Yeah, if you factor in age there are probably a few GM's who would prefer Bynum. If you are a team seeking to win within the next 2-3 years (i.e. Miami) who would you rather have? That was my point. Amare is a better player today. If you play the age game then Brook Lopez has more value than Yao. Does this mean Lopez is a better player?

A few days ago I compared their stats; Bynum had more PPG, RPG, APG, BPG, less TO and higher FG%. Yet he shares the ball with Kobe, Odom, Artest and Gasol. On Phoenix only Nash is better then the worst player in that group I've mentioned.

Hill, Channing etc. are not better then Odom or Artest; so I can't comprehend how Amare can't put up better numbers then Bynum playing on a team that relies on him a lot heavily then LA relies on Andrew. Richardson might be better then Artest/Odom (I suppose), although I would never trade these two guys for him. Barbosa is a just a scorer so I wouldn't put him above Ron Ron or The Doom.
    Richardson is a guy who was a 22 ppg scorer before coming to Phoenix. Yet on the Suns he has to defer to Amare. That tells you how good a scorer Amare is.

Here are the numbers so people can reach their own conclusions.

Phoenix's top scorers

PPG

Amare 20
    Nash 18
    Richardson 17
    Hill 12
    Frye 12
    Barbosa 12

FGA

Amare 13
    Richardson 13
    Nash 12
    Hill 10
    Frye 10
    Barbosa 9

LAL's top scorers

PPG

Kobe 28
    Gasol 18
    Bynum 18
    Artest 13
    Odom 8
    Farmer 7

FGA

Kobe 22
    Bynum 12
    Gasol 12
    Artest 11
    Odom 8
    Fisher 7

So Bynum gets only one less shot a game than Amare. How can this be since he plays with Kobe? It is because the Suns are a more balanced team. The Suns have six double digit scorers, three guys over 17 ppg. The Lakers have a mega scorer in Kobe, Gasol and Bynum are comparable to Nash and Richardson, but they have no other double digit scorer at this point. A lot of people have a misconception that the Suns are scoring a ton this year because they are back to the D'Antoni style but they are only 4th in pace (LAL is 6th, only 0.5 slower). The reason the Suns score a lot is because they are by far the most efficient offensive team. Amare is the first option to score but the idea is to get to the open man. Most teams have a more hierarchical offense.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 12-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: Andrew Bynum pissed about All-Star results, says Stoudemire is not even a center

No D? Ask Dwight about that.
    Amar'e did not shut down Dwight. You used one game to justify his defense. If you use that game then am I justified for using the Bynum game when he let Bynum get 26? See how silly your "argument" sounds?

Watch Suns games, listen to his teammates. His D is improved this year. Is he Ben Wallace? No but he has improved. Is Bynum the only player who improves his game?

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    We all know Bynum always has great stretches of games in winter every year, which creates a perennial Laker fan Bynum hype fest. Is Bynum the real deal this year?

Bynum: real deal or third annual flash in the pan?

Here is what the two have done over the last 10 games. Remember, we are only one-quarter through the season. Bynum does not deserve an all-star spot based on 10 good games to start the year. If you are going to hold that position you have to believe Brandon Jennings should be designated an all-star based on his great performances to kick off the year even though he has struggled since then.

Bynum: 15/7 56%
    Amare 19/8 58%

Bynum is down in: minutes, scoring, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and field goal percentage. The only areas where he has been better over the past 10 games versus the previous 11 are turnovers and free throw shooting.

Amare is up in: rebounding, steals, blocks, turnovers, field goal percentage, and free throw percentage. He has remained even in assists and steals.

Amare is still not 100%. His numbers are steadily improving while Bynum's are regressing to his usual 14/8.

As to Kaman--who isn't even on the ballot (why isn't Bynum complaining about that?)--he is averaging 19/9 for the year which is comparable to Bynum's production despite Kaman being his team's best player. Switch Kaman and Bynum and who would have better numbers? Bynum would get more touches but he would also face real defensive attention for the first time in his career.

Don't forget Al Jefferson. He is averaging 16/9 for the year but his numbers should improve by the ASG as well. He is up to 16/11 in the past 10 games. Jefferson was a 23/11 and 21/11 guy the past two seasons so it is unlikely that he will remain at 16/9 by the ASG.

By the ASG Bynum may very well have the fourth best numbers out of Amare, Jefferson, and Kaman. If he wants to earn his spot he needs to produce comparable numbers. Of course, the dilemma for him is he is a role player and if he attempts to keep pace with guys who are 25/9 and 23/11 players when they are healthy he will damage his team. The problem? His team's success is the reason why he gets so much more publicity than a Kaman or Jefferson in the first place.
    Well, we now have the answer: flash in the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by D_Rose
    He plays some Center as you said. According to 82games, he plays 14% of PHX's minutes at that position.

Amare
    19.5 PPG on 56% 7.7 RPG 1.1 APG 1.1 BPG

Bynum
    17.7 PPG on 58% 9.4 RPG 1.3 APG 1.6 BPG
    Let's compare them two weeks later.

Amare
    20.5 ppg (13th in the league) 56% 8.7 rpg (19th)

Bynum

15.5 ppg on 57% 8.1 rpg (with only 3 points tonight he should be down to 15.0 now)

Jefferson 17/9 49%
    Kaman 20/9 50%

Last ten games

Amare 23.2/10.5 55%
    Bynum 10.6/5.0 54%

Kaman 21/10 53%
    Jefferson 20/11 52%

12-11-2009, 06:30 PM #1
    cotdt

Bynum played like Amare for the first 3 quarters against the Jazz, that didn't turn out too well. Come on, Bynum is clearly a better player than Amare, who is not even a center.
    One of many posters who said Bynum>Amare just two weeks ago.

Bu..bu..but he's been sick

Ill say it again Andrew should just worry about his play on the court, the accolades will follow...

Decent playground baller Sonics4Life's Avatar

Bynum sux now. WTF. He needs to man up.

NBA lottery pick

Too bad there's not a zero star rating for threads. One star is too much credit.

Very good NBA starter

think he may have played his way out of an all star nod

Da Mavs

Bynum right now...looks like Tarazan plays like Jane

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

Bynum is in a slump. He will be back some day. How often does he go 1-9 FG (3 pts) and 5 fouls in 37 minutes of play?
    Last edited by cotdt; 12-27-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    Bynum is in a slump. He will be back some day. How often does he go 1-9 FG (3 pts) and 5 fouls in 37 minutes of play?.
    Back to 14/8 or 13/10? He is not what LAL fans keep hoping he will become. Tonight wasn't that much of an anomaly. He has averaged 10/5 over his past eleven games (adding tonight's 3/9).

Bynum right now...looks like Tarazan plays like Jane
    Yup. And you thought I was trolling when I said Bynum's numbers were regressing toward the mean! He was 14/8 last year, 13/10 the year before. He is down to 15/8 now after being at 18/9.4 two weeks ago.

Dumbest thing Bynum ever did was to push Kareem away from helping him. He needs to beg for him to come back and keep him on the right path. I actually hope Kareem returns to teach Bynum. No way that potential should go to waste because Bynum is being stubborn.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    Bynum is in a slump. He will be back some day. How often does he go 1-9 FG (3 pts) and 5 fouls in 37 minutes of play?

hahhahahahha. wtf do all the lakers fan think this guy is a good player? "In a slump" hahahahha

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Yup. And you thought I was trolling when I said Bynum's numbers were regressing toward the mean! He was 14/8 last year, 13/10 the year before. He is down to 15/8 now after being at 18/9.4 two weeks ago.
    Yeah, I think he's better suited on a team as a #2 scoring option. When he doesn't have the ball to score he's just a tall guy. He's not a good rebounder. Terrible help defender. Average shot blocker. He looks slow at times.

Just not the same guy right now as earlier in the year. And some of it has to do with Gasol's return but seriously he's been getting touches and it's like when he doesn't get points he stops trying on defense too. If I had that much talent I swear... Bynum's talent + Perkins intensity = >Dwight.

I hope he picks it up...He has had some sort of a respiratory infection so ehh don't want to make excuses but he's NOT an All-star this year as of now.

Like I said much earlier in this thread. Bynum needs to STFU. Even the Kings announcers noticed that the team was much better without him in..