Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default "LeBron faced weak competition into the finals. Jordan didn't, 6/6 > 2/5"

why this argument is dumb? below i have a combination of all-star / all-nba selection and metrics(data) that denounces the title in my OP.

all-stars & all-nba teamers ATT, who lebron & jordan faced on their way to the finals:

2007- carter/kidd _ arenas/butler _ hamilton/prince/billups
    2011- rose/noah _ kg/pierce/allen/rondo
    2012- carmelo/chandler/amare _ kg/pierce/rondo
    2013- noah/deng _ george/hibbert/west
    2014- jj_ george/west/hibbert

1991- ewing _ barkley/hawkins _ thomas/rodman
    1992- ewing _ daughtery/price/nance
    1993_ wilkins _ ewing/stars _ daughtery/price/nance

here we see 3 teams jordan faced with just ONE all-nba teamer/all-star. otoh, lebron faced only one team with such a combination, and all but ONE with at least 2 from each category. moreover, lebron has faced one team with 4. jordan didn't.

next up, we see the metrics. here's what today's defensive rating and offensive rating says:

from 2012-14, there were 33 teams with a defensive rating below 103 - 5 teams with a 99 drtg or lower

from 1991-93, there was 1 team with a defensive rating below 103 - the knicks

from 2012-14, there were 13 teams with an offensive rating of 110+
    from 1991-93, there 22 teams with an offensive rating of 110+

what do we get from this information? not only are today's defensive schemes and overall TEAM defenses better (holding opponents to less points per 100 possessions - what teams average on each end), but also that nobody played consistent defense during jordan's BEST years (ORtg says more teams in the 90s scored more points per 100 possessions - what teams average on each end). this is ALL you need to know about defenses from THEN and today

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: "LeBron faced weak competition into the finals. Jordan didn't, 6/6 > 2/5"

IN math, there is fraction form and decimal form. Once you convert 6/6 and 2/5 to decimal it becomes 1.00 and 0.4. So only dumb people would think 0.4>>1.00. So its really dumb OP.

College superstar

Default Re: "LeBron faced weak competition into the finals. Jordan didn't, 6/6 > 2/5"

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    IN math, there is fraction form and decimal form. Once you convert 6/6 and 2/5 to decimal it becomes 1.00 and 0.4. So only dumb people would think 0.4>>1.00. So its really dumb OP.
    read my post, and you'll see WHY making this claim is beyond idiotic & not within context.

LeBron's "competition" in The Least has been historically among the worst ever. Numbers don't lie.

Oh, and LeBron is 2/5.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    read my post, and you'll see WHY making this claim is beyond idiotic & not within context.
    youre asking if its dumb or not, right? So its really dumb, according to math, if you think 6/6 is not greater than 2/5.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    youre asking if its dumb or not, right? So its really dumb, according to math, if you think 6/6 is not greater than 2/5.
    look at the years i posted in my OP. if that isn't enough to tell you i am not drawing parallels, mathematically, to 6/6 & 2/5, i don't know what to say.

I rule the local playground

How many times did Jordan's teams face .500 or worse teams in the playoffs?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    look at the years i posted in my OP. if that isn't enough to tell you i am not drawing parallels, mathematically, to 6/6 & 2/5, i don't know what to say.
    My bad its not dumb. Yeah I agree with you that 6/6 is greater than 2/5

People don't understand the notion that 6/6 is better than 6/10 or 6/12.

College superstar

btw, the only reason i compared these specific seasons was because of their ages.

in 2014, lebron was 29. jordan was 29 in 1993, turning 30 midway into the season (where the comparison stops).

Learning to shoot layups cruthikai352's Avatar

are you missing a few seasons from Jordan on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    People don't understand the notion that 6/6 is better than 6/10 or 6/12.
    How exactly is missing playoffs/losing earlier than Finals better?
    How exactly does going to 4 or 6 more Finals take ANYTHING away from Jordan?

Please, tell us.... this will be the most extremly interesting yet.... cant wait....

PS: Your comment can be understood in two entirely opposite ways lol, forget this if you meant this in the opposite way.
    Last edited by pauk; 02-28-2015 at 09:39 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    How exactly is missing playoffs/losing earlier than Finals better?
    How exactly does going to 4 or 6 more Finals take ANYTHING away from Jordan?

Please, tell us.... this will be the most extremly interesting yet.... cant wait....
    because 2/5<<6/6

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by cruthikai352
    are you missing a few seasons from Jordan on purpose?
    read the post above yours. i believe i covered all basis here. the "6/6 > 2/5" in my thread title is merely a retort jordan fans use (just look itt) - but where i drew a connection was noting both jordan & lebron's competition prior to the finals up until last year (same ages).

I rule the local playground

I'm too lazy to do this right now so somebody get me the W/L% of Jordan's playoff opponents and LeBron's.