Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Gloves in basketball???

In my first year of coaching 8th grade basketball, I had a player show up to tryouts wearing a pair of football gloves. That, combined with the 4 other students trying out in blue jeans really made me reevaluate what I was getting myself into.

I read somewhere, some time ago (don't ask when and where) that wearing gloves are actually explicitly against the rules of basketball.

The design would need to be something very specific. No way football gloves work in basketball.

You'd need something that doesn't affects in the least bit the movement of the wrist, probably have the fingers out and be really thin to keep sensitivity in the hands -which is crucial-, and wet absorbing (would be useless otherwise).

In other words, I'd try it only if it's something especially made for basketball -which doesn't exists as far as I know-.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by artificial
    The design would need to be something very specific. No way football gloves work in basketball.

You'd need something that doesn't affects in the least bit the movement of the wrist, probably have the fingers out and be really thin to keep sensitivity in the hands -which is crucial-, and wet absorbing (would be useless otherwise).

In other words, I'd try it only if it's something especially made for basketball -which doesn't exists as far as I know-.

in my opinion, the perfect basketball gloves should be like this:
    - full finger, not cut-offs, for max. protection
    - really thin material, leather or similar, tacky, but not too much
    - they should be absolutely tight and snug on the hands, like a second skin, with secure velcros on wrist and back of the hand

because of the tight secure fit it would take a while to actually put them on properly and take them off, so the players would wear them all the time it should be a rule that every player should have to wear a pair! and definitely full finger!!

i tried out many gloves for playing, and the best models are UNderArmour and jordan batting gloves with leather palm, for ex. the UA "cleanup" model. smooth not too tacky leather, perfect fit, hot design! just get them one size smaller. they feel nice, the glove is always in full contact with the skin on every mm of the hand, it s so thin i can actually feel the lines on the ball... and at the same time my hands are fully protected and always dry.

i play streetball and some indoor basketball, and i always wear the gloves, sometimes all day, even (or especially!) in hot summer weather. i can t dunk without them any more :-) i d feel naked. some guys think it s weird that i m wearing them, but others already started to wear some too!
    so all i can say is try them for yourself, for me jt definitely works!

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by artificial
    ...be really thin to keep sensitivity...wet absorbing (would be useless otherwise)..
    So a condom for the hands basically.

Joel anthony and kwame brown should have invested in some long ago.

With an NBA regulation ball, the feel is way slicker and pro's shots are taylor-made to that grip. An old Bulls Bench player (I can't remember his name) known for his 3's was working out at Lifetime with these shitty Wilson balls and needed to step about 3-4 feet behind the arc because the grip on those balls was so tacky in comparison he couldn't recalibrate.

Once he took those steps back, everything was money.

Some players used to wear those finger sleeve things which I thought were stupid as hell.

I can't see you wanting anything that wraps around the wrist because the flexion you take away from your release/touch is too valuable, the same way high-tops limit your ankle mobility (however this is an injury concern much more than fine-motor skill limitation and therefor makes more sense).

Also, taking the ball up could be weird, because the little top-spin you get with it would be altered every time your glove made contact on the up-bounce and mess up your rhythm if the glove is too tacky.

Just a bad idea...

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh-Roh
    With an NBA regulation ball, the feel is way slicker and pro's shots are taylor-made to that grip. An old Bulls Bench player (I can't remember his name) known for his 3's was working out at Lifetime with these shitty Wilson balls and needed to step about 3-4 feet behind the arc because the grip on those balls was so tacky in comparison he couldn't recalibrate.

Once he took those steps back, everything was money.

Some players used to wear those finger sleeve things which I thought were stupid as hell.

I can't see you wanting anything that wraps around the wrist because the flexion you take away from your release/touch is too valuable, the same way high-tops limit your ankle mobility (however this is an injury concern much more than fine-motor skill limitation and therefor makes more sense).

Also, taking the ball up could be weird, because the little top-spin you get with it would be altered every time your glove made contact on the up-bounce and mess up your rhythm if the glove is too tacky.

Just a bad idea...

i can see that... that s exactly the reason why not every model works, it has to be finest high quality leather wih a perfect fit.
    as for wrist dexterity, this could be provided with a velcro like golf gloves have - nit on the wrist, but on the back of the hand

Bogut was using a back handed padded glove in the preseason.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    I remember seeing Kobe wearing gloves once. Look it up for me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYHY...eature=related

Saw a basketball once

that a full or half finger glove? bunch of pixels :-)

Banned

Back in the days when i was 13-15 years old and really pushing hard, i used to play with normal wooden gloves during Winter. You just can't keep playing without them when it's Minus 15 Degrees C. It's very slippery and difficult to play with them at first, but it really improves your handles. When you take them off it feels like your hands have glue. Playing with gloves is certainly a good way to improve ones handkles.

Banned

you mean boxing gloves right?
    because that's the only way this joke would fly

No because you would get no feel for the ball. I actually have shot a basketball wearing my weight training gloves (I was to lazy to take them off lol) and it seemed harder to dribble, shooting was the same tho.

Saw a basketball once

look at these guys:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhKGT3-e7xM

one of them is wearing louisville batting gloves, and they seem to perform very well...