Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Current Spurs would DESTROY current USA Team

I always laugh at people who think NBA basketball is far and away the best league, when , if you look at the current Spurs, they are HISTORICALLY a Euroleague team.. team play, ball movement, smart defense, great coaching

Spurs would destroy the current USA team in 5 games ala Miami Heat. In fact, even this year's Heat would take the current USA team to 6 games, but USA would win.

Spurs

Banned

Default Re: Current Spurs would DESTROY current USA Team

This is the general thinking of the posters here.

Team USA's leader is James Harden ffs, the epidimy of chucking and ugliness.

Doesn't help that they are inexperienced and run virtually no offensive sets, only isos and dribbling the hell out of the ball.

One other point, I like what I've seen so far from Rose moving the basketball and finding shooters and the open man alot of the time.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

If this were over 1000 words, I'd think you were Euroleague

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    If this were over 1000 words, I'd think you were Euroleague
    euroleague is a notorious popovich hater, while i admit, if i had to have gay relations with one man, it would be popovich.. thats how much i love him

GOAT Coach

Water is wet.

If you want to make it a fair comparison, assume all of San Antonio's international players are also playing for their respective countries and not the Spurs.

Do they win now?

The current Spurs team would lose to the current USA team. The current USA team has more athleticism, solid coaching, and depth. Did I mention coaching? Coach K, Jim Boeheim, Tommy T, and Monty Williams. That is a solid coaching crew.

Banned

Dude, this is basically the USA B-team

the USA Olympic team is much better

NBA lottery pick

It's certainly possible. But destroy, really? Even team USA's B-Team has more talent than the Spurs.

7 game series is a toss up

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

in olympics maybe, over the course of the season and they meet in the finals give me team usa

Well yea, in one game, it's certainly possible. The Spurs themselves are like a Euro all-star team w/ Parker, Ginobili, Splitter, Diaw, etc. They play a European game.

The Spurs like all of these European teams in International Tournaments are compromised of the same players annually, for numbers of years. They develop great rapport, chemistry, and cohesive playing style. This somtimes trumps talent. Especially when motivated.

The US is so talented however we just throw out players in July every year for a few weeks of glossed over practices, then go out and compete. This is still usually enough to dominate, and win. Even with B, and C caliber talents from our country.

In addition, the only times I've REALLY seen maximum effort from one of these USA teams was in 2010. Partly due to make up for the lack of top flight American talent. 2014 will need to do the same. The rest seem to coast for the most part, even if only trying really hard or dominating in spurts.

If it wasn't single game elimination, where the best can get upset on pure luck of a hot shooting day (see Greece in 2006) ... this tournament would be a joke.

No one would EVER be able to beat any Team USA in a "best of" series. Seriously. That includes the '98, 2002, and 2004 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    If you want to make it a fair comparison, assume all of San Antonio's international players are also playing for their respective countries and not the Spurs.

Do they win now?

Splitter - Brazil

Diaw - France

They only have two players that are playing at the 2014 FIBA World Cup. Why the hell would you "assume" they were "all playing" when they are not?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Well yea, in one game, it's certainly possible. The Spurs themselves are like a Euro all-star team w/ Parker, Ginobili, Splitter, Diaw, etc. They play a European game.

The Spurs like all of these European teams in International Tournaments are compromised of the same players annually, for numbers of years. They develop great rapport, chemistry, and cohesive playing style. This somtimes trumps talent. Especially when motivated.

The US is so talented however we just throw out players in July every year for a few weeks of glossed over practices, then go out and compete. This is still usually enough to dominate, and win. Even with B, and C caliber talents from our country.

In addition, the only times I've REALLY seen maximum effort from one of these USA teams was in 2010. Partly due to make up for the lack of top flight American talent. 2014 will need to do the same. The rest seem to coast for the most part, even if only trying really hard or dominating in spurts.

If it wasn't single game elimination, where the best can get upset on pure luck of a hot shooting day (see Greece in 2006) ... this tournament would be a joke.

No one would EVER be able to beat any Team USA in a "best of" series. Seriously. That includes the '98, 2002, and 2004 teams.
    Will you clowns stop repeating that BULLSHIT lie already? Just because some moron like Fraschilla says that on ESPN does not mean it is actually true.

Use your damn brain.

That is NOT even remotely true. Not even in the slightest. The ONLY teams in fact in these tournaments that have stayed together at all are Brazil and Spain.

There is no truth to that bullshit about how "all these other teams played together since they were 10 years old" and all that absurd crap.

They put together basically new teams every summer in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    That is NOT even remotely true. Not even in the slightest. The ONLY teams in fact in these tournaments that have stayed together at all are Brazil and Spain.
    It is true though. All these smelly European guys are like lifers for their national teams. Americans come and go as they please within the system given our talent pool is so much larger, and better. So in essence these Euro teams with inferior individual talent rely on their cohesiveness over time.