Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Deron Williams at his best was better than Chris Paul

Quote Originally Posted by icewill36
    I think it's clear now dwill Is a system player and his success was largely because of jerry sloans system.

it makes me wonder about John Stockton also
    Except that Stockton and Malone were stars before Jerry was their coach. They arguably played their best ball against the Lakers in the '88 playoffs when they were out running showtime. I'd say Sloan's half court game was actually a detriment to their numbers. This idea that they were great because of Sloan is laughable. The fact that Sloan went from first to 3rd(also did this in the Deron era) with two of the greats tells me they made Sloan not the other way around as seems to be the popular belief

Ha ha mr funny man

Offensively, it's close. But the gap in defense is what separates the two.

Peak D Will was BEAST! And he WASN'T a system player by any stretch! In terms of total scoring skillset, he doesn't take a backseat to ANY PG EVER! I'm not saying he's the best scoring PG ever. I'm talking in terms of his SKILLSET scoring the rock.

So if you chose D Will over CP3, it would be because you prefer his size and scoring skillset. BECAUSE IN GENERAL, CP3 was just as good or better than D Will scoring, passing, rebounding, and defending. And I consider CP3 as arguably the most complete PG ever. Only PG's FOR SURE I could see over CP3 peak wise are Magic, Big O, Curry, and Westbrook. With Isiah and Kidd being arguable. So NO D Will was never better than CP3! But D Will was still a beast nonetheless and ARGUABLY a top 10-15 PG of all time peak wise.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Peak D Will was BEAST! And he WASN'T a system player by any stretch! In terms of total scoring skillset, he doesn't take a backseat to ANY PG EVER! I'm not saying he's the best scoring PG ever. I'm talking in terms of his SKILLSET scoring the rock.

So if you chose D Will over CP3, it would be because you prefer his size and scoring skillset. BECAUSE IN GENERAL, CP3 was just as good or better than D Will scoring, passing, rebounding, and defending. And I consider CP3 as arguably the most complete PG ever. Only PG's FOR SURE I could see over CP3 peak wise are Magic, Big O, Curry, and Westbrook. With Isiah and Kidd being arguable. So NO D Will was never better than CP3! But D Will was still a beast nonetheless and ARGUABLY a top 10-15 PG of all time peak wise.
    He was absolutely a system player...he didn't do shit after He left the Jazz and didn't have Sloan in his ear telling him what play to run.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    He was absolutely a system player...he didn't do shit after He left the Jazz and didn't have Sloan in his ear telling him what play to run.
    to be fair, it looked like he mailed it in on the Nets

The INJURY BUG starting getting to D Will BIG TIME with the Nets. IT WASN'T about being a system player. He should have been in the peak of his career with the Nets. BUT the injuries took away him being a top 3 PG in the world. Assists numbers INITIALLY is where he took the hit. His scoring was JUST AS GOOD as his Utah days. However as I stated before, the INJURIES is what cost D Will NOT a system.

Quote Originally Posted by AintNoSunshine
    One of my fav back in the day. A big PG who can shoot the lights out and has a killer crossover to get to the rim whenever he wants.

He wasn't better than Chris Paul but he did have Chris Paul number H2H.
    Good point! He was a tough matchup for CP3 because of his scoring skillset and size. And D Will AT HIS PEAK had one of the most devastating scoring arsenals of any PG EVER! D Will was also a very good defender as well.

Deron was a ****ing monster... not just saying this as an Illinois fanboy. I think Deron was a nightmare match up for CP and would own him. If there was ever a head 2 head match up like Magic vs Bird involving Deron and CP, Deron might have been regarded as the better player.

However, on most teams, I think CP3 is better. I just think Deron is very underrated. You get injured, you get traded, whatever, and it kinda kills your legacy.

However 2: Deron never got a shot like CP had. I would like to believe he could have done well with the Clippers. So maybe Deron is better.

CP is better at playing with garbage though.

Also, he was good at defense. Just not good at stealing.

-Smak

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

d will at his peak was unstoppable.

He was good. Went to the Western finals.

Something CP3 has yet to done

Serious playground baller Annyong!'s Avatar

Peak CP3 > Peak Williams

For a couple years early in their careers, it was debatable who was better, but I leaned more towards Paul. By 2008, it was clear Paul was better.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil

Westbrook
    Lets see what he does with his own team this year