Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anthony Davis playoff start pts comparison:

Chamberlain:
    35 points 27 reb 3 assists NBA Playoffs debut in a winning effort
    38.7ppg NBA Playoffs series debut - won the series

Jabbar:
    36 points 20 rebounds 4 assists NBA Playoffs debut in a winning effort
    36.2ppg NBA Playoffs series debut - won the series

Davis:
    35 points 7 rebounds 1 assist (1 steal 4 blocks) NBA Playoffs debut in a losing effort
    PPG and series outcome yet to be determined

Should also point out that Chamberlain and Kareem did this as rookies. Davis is already in his 3rd season.

Just trying to put some historical context into what Davis is doing thus far. It's great, the list of players who've done better is small, so far the only two I can think of from strictly a points angle is Jabbar and Chamberlain.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-24-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anthony Davis playoff start pts comparison:

True but adjusted to today's league, Chamberlain's 35 points is equivalent to about 7.2. Not really all that impressive, IMO.

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Anthony Davis playoff start pts comparison:

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    True but adjusted to today's league, Chamberlain's 35 points is equivalent to about 7.2. Not really all that impressive, IMO.
    Re-adjusted for today's rules and competition it's about 78 points actually. GOAT time traveler debut

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I'm assuming Wilt and Alcindor didn't just score all their points in garbage time in the 4th, when the other team took their feet off the gas?

Also do you have rebound, assist, and/or block totals?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I'm assuming Wilt and Alcindor didn't just score all their points in garbage time in the 4th, when the other team took their feet off the gas?

Also do you have rebound, assist, and/or block totals?
    I don't, they aren't on bball ref so it's all up to newspapers to find them unless NBAstats.net or any posters have them. I'll try and give the newspaper archives a look tonight after I get home from the bar. I briefly glanced at Wilt's G1 playoff newspaper article and it said Arizin his teammate scored 40 that night and was a perfect 17 for 17 from the line so Wilt wasn't his teams leading scorer that first game, but it said he scored most of his points in the first period, and fourth period to put the game away.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Just trying to put some historical context into what Davis is doing thus far.
    Thanks for the pile of meaningless crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Thanks for the pile of meaningless crap.
    And no thanks to you for a meaningless piece of crap reply.

GTFO.

Kareem had 36/20/4. Sat for 9 minutes, as well.
    Wilt had 35/27/3.

Really great debuts for both.

I have long maintained that Kareem's PEAK came between the second half of his ROOKIE season, thru his entire '71 regular and post-season, and into his entire regular season in his THIRD year.

Here is some evidence...

In his very FIRST post-season series, he averaged...

36.2 ppg, 15.8 rpg, 3.4 apg, .583 FG%, and a .774 FT%...for a true TS% of .618.

BTW, in Alcindor's THIRD playoff game of his long post-season career...

he played 33 minutes, and scored 33 points, with 17 rebounds and three assists, and on 13-16 FG/FGA, and 7-8 FT/FTA....in a 156-120 win.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    BTW, in Alcindor's THIRD playoff game of his long post-season career...

he played 33 minutes, and scored 33 points, with 17 rebounds and three assists, and on 13-16 FG/FGA, and 7-8 FT/FTA....in a 156-120 win.
    Inflated stats era.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Can you run those Wilt and KAJ stats for per 100 possessions?

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Inflated stats era.
    Reminds me of Wilt's 34.7 ppg on a .543 FG% in his 12 game playoff run in the '64 playoffs. That post-season the NBA averaged 105.8 ppg on a .420 FG%. And in Wilt's first series, he averaged 38.6 ppg on a .559 FG%, in a post-season series in which the two teams averaged 107.8 ppg. Oh, and his Finals, and against Russell, he averaged 29.2 ppg on a .517 FG%...in a post-season series in which the two teams averaged 103.2 ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Can you run those Wilt and KAJ stats for per 100 possessions?
    Let me put it to you this way...

In KAJ's first playoff series, and playing 42.6 mpg, he averaged 36.2 ppg on a .583 FG%, in a post-season NBA that averaged 111.6 ppg on a .455 FG%.