rank sentamentalist

Default is there a secret agreement among coaches not to foul when up three?

just because it would spoil the excitement at the end of games

its the obvious move and... i'd only trust a veteran small defender to know when it won't turn into a shooting foul, foul at just the right time

but there are loads of those guys in the league you could put on the best player at any time

its only outlaws like pop and george karl and those guys who will do it

there were a few plays last night where the offense dribble around a bunch and it just seemed intuitive the defender should commit the foul... yet they would not

why do coaches counsel against this strategy?

Default Re: is there a secret agreement among coaches not to foul when up three?

I hope so.. there isn't one but it def. feels like they don't like doing it even if it would be helpful, can't say I dislike it though.. makes it alot more exciting. Wouldnt have games like last night.

Banned

Default Re: is there a secret agreement among coaches not to foul when up three?

I think Stan Van Gundy did it vs LeBron in the playoffs back in 2009, Either game 3 or 4

However LeBron still got the shot off and got 3 FTs

Its simply a matter of regular season games dont matter enough to employ that tactic, and it is WAY to risky to employ in the playoffs or Finals

So its a case where there isnt any real scenario to use it.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    I hope so.. there isn't one but it def. feels like they don't like doing it even if it would be helpful, can't say I dislike it though.. makes it alot more exciting. Wouldnt have games like last night.
    i'm in favor of it too

just seems like coaches don't do it so they don't get grief about it later

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    I think Stan Van Gundy did it vs LeBron in the playoffs back in 2009, Either game 3 or 4

However LeBron still got the shot off and got 3 FTs

Its simply a matter of regular season games dont matter enough to employ that tactic, and it is WAY to risky to employ in the playoffs or Finals

So its a case where there isnt any real scenario to use it.

that wasnt to prevent a 3... that was just smart basketball cause lebron sucks at free throws

and i'm not surprised the refs gifted lebron an extra free throw to make up for their heros short comings

if teams are gonna foul to extend the game, you should foul to end the game.

Local High School Star

I think their thinking is they have to trust their defense. Other than a catch and shoot they should foul.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    if teams are gonna foul to extend the game, you should foul to end the game.
    this

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    just because it would spoil the excitement at the end of games

its the obvious move and... i'd only trust a veteran small defender to know when it won't turn into a shooting foul, foul at just the right time

but there are loads of those guys in the league you could put on the best player at any time

its only outlaws like pop and george karl and those guys who will do it

there were a few plays last night where the offense dribble around a bunch and it just seemed intuitive the defender should commit the foul... yet they would not

why do coaches counsel against this strategy?
    it is the smart move to go for the foul. some coaches don't trust their players enough and feel like the chances of them screwing up and giving the other team 3 Free Throws instead of 2 are greater than the chance of them playing straight up D and forcing them to sink the 3 pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by LONGTIME
    I think their thinking is they have to trust their defense. Other than a catch and shoot they should foul.

That doesn't make sense. If you "trust your defense" there's a decent chance the opponent will hit a 3 and tie it.

If it's the bonus and the team down 3 gets fouled (for 2 shots) there is almost NO chance they will tie it. It's nearly a guaranteed victory for the fouling team.

It's basically because we do that in Europe, really.

Why don't they change the hack-someone rule to european style?
    Foul off the ball without any movement to get the ball, automatic flagrant 1!
    Last edited by Maga_1; 11-01-2015 at 03:49 AM.

NBA lottery pick

Phil Jackson was a guy that always went for the foul.

Go watch and watch any clutch plays where his teams were on the defensive end.

Dude has some bitchmade tactics.