Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

You idiots consider yourself knownledge basketball fans and don't realize that your much more likely to be able to get a good shot than defend a player from getting a good shot? Rodman would do just as good as other "good" defenders. Rodman isn't like some super defender JUST BECAUSE he played in the 80s 90s. 80s 90s doesn't mean you're instantly better anyone who thinks that is either an old person who can't let his childhood go or a young person thinking that makes them sound knownledgable. 100% fact.

And of course 97 bulls fan homer a$$ says the most ridiculous statement of the thread. Ban that idiot already he's basically Euroleague but for the 80s 90s bulls.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by clayton
    Old fart nostalgia at it again. "Teh past always better than present."
    no wonder why Kobe is so MJwannaBE for life. Cheaply copying a past players post-up fadeaway game to 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    You idiots consider yourself knownledge basketball fans and don't realize that your much more likely to be able to get a good shot than defend a player from getting a good shot? Rodman would do just as good as other "good" defenders. Rodman isn't like some super defender JUST BECAUSE he played in the 80s 90s. 80s 90s doesn't mean you're instantly better anyone who thinks that is either an old person who can't let his childhood go or a young person thinking that makes them sound knownledgable. 100% fact.

And of course 97 bulls fan homer a$$ says the most ridiculous statement of the thread. Ban that idiot already he's basically Euroleague but for the 80s 90s bulls.
    Lol what? Rodman was a terrific athlete Jackson did say he was the best athlete he ever. I actually think Rodmans biggest strength would be his endurance. I think his defense in the fourth quarter physically would be as strong as in the first quarter

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Marion shut down Lebron? What? Where? When? How? No my man... its not him or any one man that was bothering him, it was those guys behind Marion.... but more than that it was himself that shut himself down
    This isn't about this statement in particular, just a general statement based on several decades of participating and lurking on basketball message boards.

I find it interesting that often a defensive player doesn't get credit if his defensive assignment has a subpar game or series (with the caveat that it depends on if the agenda is to disparage the particular offensive player in question, but then it becomes more about that player "choking" than any positive thing the defender did). It's always, the offensive player just wasn't making shots he normally makes, or he stopped himself. It's like it's not possible for any defender to adversely affect him in any way or simply play great defense on him. It's always about what the offensive player didn't do rather than what the defensive player did.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    You might not like it but that's a great find.

It's even more impressive to remember how Marion shut down LeBron in that Finals matchup when you can see the stats laid out like that. 8 full points off his average against Marion in the regular season.

That's awesome

Very good NBA starter

The best defenders on lebron are not crazy wingspan 3's like Durant, and George. Its guys with girth and lower body strength.

I feel like Rodman lacks the bulk. George and Durant lack the bulk.

THe perfect defender on Bron is 2003-2007 Ron Artest. That Artest had bulk(250-255 muscle) height (6'7) and very quick feet.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I'd say a lot of it depends on what era are we playing in? Rodman's or now? A lot of shit Rodman did was just antagonistic, blatant cheap shots that would get him thrown out before half time right now. It would also have to be a younger Rodman and not the one who was guarding Malone during the 2nd Bulls Three-peat. The guy that would have the most success guarding Lebron in whatever era would be a 93- Scottie Pippen when he put muscle onto his frame. He has the length, athleticism, and basketball IQ to give him fits.

Banned

I think Rodman would be better at the job the anyone else. Rodman is probably the best individual defender ever in my opinion. At least for Small forwards and bigs (maybe some guards too, but less so than forwards and bigs, and only when he was young really)

Banned

Rodman with the Bad Boys would shut LeBron down.
    Rodman with the Bulls would also shut LeBron down.

But it wouldn't just be him by himself, Pistons teammates would help. Pippen and MJ too.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Dennis Rodman's "Incedible defense on Shaq!" video has made Dennis Rodman overrated as a defender. Rodman was not the best defender in his time, he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games, he also was good at making the right kind of hustle intangible plays at the right time to help the teams he was on, and was of course a supremely elite rebounder. But he wasn't some defensive god. If you want someone to defend Lebron from that era you pick Scottie Pippen.

Not really. Rodman is one of the elite defenders of all-time so I don't get what you're saying.

No one is going to regularly shut him down. But Rodman is one of the very best defenders of all-time and he absolutely could be put on Lebron and more than likely would be, unless Pippen was on the court with him.

National High School Star Mrofir's Avatar

Dennis Rodman's "Incedible defense on Shaq!" video has made Dennis Rodman overrated as a defender. Rodman was not the best defender in his time, he was known as a pest player that would get in your head and cheapshot you a few times in order to get you throw out of games, he also was good at making the right kind of hustle intangible plays at the right time to help the teams he was on, and was of course a supremely elite rebounder. But he wasn't some defensive god. If you want someone to defend Lebron from that era you pick Scottie Pippen.
    I don't agree that Rodman is overrated. My memory tells me that during his prime everyone knew rodman was an elite defender, not just a pest, in addition to his rebounding ridiculousness. But I do agree that if the Bulls were playing the Heat, they might well end up matching Pippen with Lebron and sticking Rodman on Wade or even (maybe most likely) Bosh. That would be innnnteresting.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    No, thats a speed/quickness mismatch (talent/skill mismatch is obvious)... and Lebron is even bigger than Rodman was...

You are overlooked Rodman 's quickness and reflect. Even MJ has to work for his points against him. Rodman could defend lebron without a doubt.

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    No he didn't. Rodman guarded Shaq on a few instances, where he did very well by getting him out of position and taking tough shots. He did not guard him the whole series every time he was on the floor.
    People seem to think he did guard Shaq the entire series. The reality was that he couldn't. He was capable of guarding him separate possessions every now and then, just like Lebron would be able to guard Dwight every now and then (well, the Dwight of old, anyway), but not for a whole game, or a whole series (!).

My larger point was that (largely because of that video in particular) Rodman has this reputation as a defensive god that can guard anyone in any situation for any length of time, and that this isn't the case.

Got the gist of it.

Doesn't anyone know why the Spurs did not put Dennis Rodman on a red-hot Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1995 Western Conference finals?

Yes, while the Spurs had Robinson in his MVP prime, if Rodman was some all-world defender on the level of Bobby Jones he would've guarded Hakeem.

But I recall reading his autobiography and elsewhere that the Spurs thought he would get in foul trouble quickly so they gambled and had Rodman guard Horry in the perimeter.

As a result Rodman's instincts led him to sink back in the paint, leaving Horry open all series long.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Under today's rules? NO

Under past rules? YES

Naturally, there'd be times Bron would get the best of him. But he'd defend him much better than anybody today due to the rules. I'm sure there's many players today that can do a great job on him, but the rules won't allow them to do so.
    Lebron had a hand check on him 25 feet away from the basket every single time today. It got even more evident at the end of the game with Westbrook on him. Stop acting as if you could pick people up and move them in previous rules.

Some of you older, more ignorant posters really overhype the difference in defenses. If anything, defenses are better now.