Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Durant's on the verge of setting single season records for PER & WSp48

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    He's posting a 37 PER without Westbrook. He's less than 1 PER from overtaking Wilt for #1 all time. Posting 37 PER's damn near every game, it's not hard to see he will overtake him soon.
    stop comparing PER of few games to season long PER of other great players. You are more retarded than pauk.

Banned

Default Re: Durant's on the verge of setting single season records for PER & WSp48

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    stop comparing PER of few games to season long PER of other great players. You are more retarded than pauk.
    It's 14 season games, all without Westbrook. This isn't some arbitrary time frame, it's literally every game since Westbrook got hurt. Stop pretending I just picked out some random streak.

It's 14 season games, all without Westbrook. This isn't some arbitrary time frame, it's literally every game since Westbrook got hurt. Stop pretending I just picked out some random streak.
    i have no problem with the games you picked. i have problem with your comparison to season long PER of great players.
    70+ games are a lot more than 14. He has had this much freedom and will have it till mid feb if i am not wrong when westbrook should return. that should bump his PER to great numbers according to your logic. compare his PER at end of season to lebron's PER of last season after that as lebron plays on a more stacked team according to OKC fans unless you disagree.
    also, win shares is the stat anyone who is not an idiot uses. WS48 is pretty stupid like if duncan is playing 29 mins a game and people do his per 48 stats. he is playing 29 mins because his body can't play 40+ mins(or even 35+ mins) a game and still be ready for playoffs.
    if you want to prove that durant is have a great stretch then take the best 14 games stretch by other great players and compare and be happy.
    season long stats are there for a reason.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

What the fck is WSP48?

Banned

i have no problem with the games you picked. i have problem with your comparison to season long PER of great players.
    70+ games are a lot more than 14. He has had this much freedom and will have it till mid feb if i am not wrong when westbrook should return. that should bump his PER to great numbers according to your logic. compare his PER at end of season to lebron's PER of last season after that as lebron plays on a more stacked team according to OKC fans unless you disagree.
    also, win shares is the stat anyone who is not an idiot uses. WS48 is pretty stupid like if duncan is playing 29 mins a game and people do his per 48 stats. he is playing 29 mins because his body can't play 40+ mins(or even 35+ mins) a game and still be ready for playoffs.
    if you want to prove that durant is have a great stretch then take the best 14 games stretch by other great players and compare and be happy.
    season long stats are there for a reason.

I NEVER said Durant was going to come near 35+ PER for an entire season. All I did was take the sample of what he's putting up since Westbrook went down, and extrapolated that over the next handful of games implying he will reach 32 PER if he continues his production sans Westbrook for the next 1-2 weeks. I never said he could do this for an entire season, I'm merely implying he keeps up his averages for the next 5-6 games. Which at that point he would eclipse Kareem in WSp48 and Wilt in PER.

And given he's playing a bunch of average defenses coming up, sans SA, in Boston, Philly, and Atlanta, I see no reason to believe his averages are going to go down unless they blow the 3 of them out.

I NEVER said Durant was going to come near 35+ PER for an entire season. All I did was take the sample of what he's putting up since Westbrook went down, and extrapolated that over the next handful of games implying he will reach 32 PER if he continues his production sans Westbrook for the next 1-2 weeks. I never said he could do this for an entire season, I'm merely implying he keeps up his averages for the next 5-6 games. Which at that point he would eclipse Kareem in WSp48 and Wilt in PER.

And given he's playing a bunch of average defenses coming up, sans SA, in Boston, Philly, and Atlanta, I see no reason to believe his averages are going to go down unless they blow the 3 of them out.
    why the fuck are you using WSP48? are you crazy or just new to advanced NBA stats?
    Why can't you understand importance of season long stats? are you from OKC and your parents though that good reasoning ability is not a good thing to be taught to children otherwise they might question if God exists?
    your thread clearly says that he is about to eclipse season records. single season records are eclipsed by single season numbers.

Banned

why the fuck are you using WSP48? are you crazy or just new to advanced NBA stats?
    Why can't you understand importance of season long stats? are you from OKC and your parents though that good reasoning ability is not a good thing to be taught to children otherwise they might question if God exists?
    your thread clearly says that he is about to eclipse season records. single season records are eclipsed by single season numbers.
    Do you not realize that it is all about pace? Jesus dude, do you think that we should not talk about regular season records until the end of the season? When Jordan averaged 37 a game, should that not have been discussed half way through the season? Should we have merely said, oh well he's probably going to average 25 from here on out and end up at 31 ppg?

Durant based upon his recent trends will be ON PACE to dethrone Kareem/Wilt for PER/WSp48 in a handful of games unless he falls of. If he gets to 32 PER and .339+ WSp48, is it ok to discuss it at that point? I didn't mean to imply he was GOING to break the records, simply that he was on the verge of surpassing the all time season records halfway through the year. Which is one hell of an accomplishment. I guess we shouldn't have been discussing LeBron shooting 60% for a perimeter player earlier in the year, either, huh? Seeing as it was 2 months into the season

Do you not realize that it is all about pace? Jesus dude, do you think that we should not talk about regular season records until the end of the season? When Jordan averaged 37 a game, should that not have been discussed half way through the season? Should we have merely said, oh well he's probably going to average 25 from here on out and end up at 31 ppg?

Durant based upon his recent trends will be ON PACE to dethrone Kareem/Wilt for PER/WSp48 in a handful of games unless he falls of. If he gets to 32 PER and .339+ WSp48, is it ok to discuss it at that point? I didn't mean to imply he was GOING to break the records, simply that he was on the verge of surpassing the all time season records halfway through the year. Which is one hell of an accomplishment. I guess we shouldn't have been discussing LeBron shooting 60% for a perimeter player earlier in the year, either, huh? Seeing as it was 2 months into the season
    do you understand the meaning of eclipse or did you just use it becase it sounded cool?
    i never gave a fuck about lebron shooting 60%. i never made any threads about lebron eclipsing season records of any kind from few games. are you crazy?
    Even when ESPN talked about lebron shooting 60% for 5-6 games(can't rem exact no. as i didn't care), they clearly said the number of games and didn't say that lebron is going to eclipse single season record for shooting 60% while scoring more than 30ppg.
    You are more retarded than ESPN when it comes to using stats. how does that make you feel?
    compare durant's streak to other streaks of 14 games and be happy. Stop making these retarded threads. no one poster made these many stats thread after lebron won his first or second ring or when he won one of those 4 MVPs.
    Last edited by Rose'sACL; 01-22-2014 at 07:38 AM.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Lebron still has the all time best CFb36QBT-3*%# tho
    Last edited by AintNoSunshine; 01-22-2014 at 07:49 AM.

This single season PER record and whatnot is dumb to dicuss.

In 1972, steals and blocks were not recorded yet, same goes for a player like Wilt before.

PER takes too much away from guys who've played at a (slight) faster pace, not considerable enough pace to take that much away from them. For example, Magic's career high PER is lower than CP3's best two, Bird never reached Durant's last season PER, in his career, and it goes on... (playing at like a 10% higher pace) Didn't they have better peaks, didn't they post better stats? Yes they did. Bird had pretty much the same stats at today's pace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA (and we can look at trb% and so on, also)
    List of the top 10 all-time leaders in PER has 7 players that were active in the last 15 years. Top 10 all-time leaders in RPG were all playing in the 60s/early 70s. Take it for what it is.

Too many denominators to consider to compare it across eras. Compare it versus their respective peers in their respective year instead, Durant's still leading the league in something like PER, a good indicator but it never tells the whole story also and we don't really need that or comparisons across eras to realize that he's playing some ridiculous basketball and that he's the clear MVP, right now.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 01-22-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Banned

great fantastic performance, i expect the same in the playoffs not like last year when vs memphis he came short the last games even at the FT line.

Local High School Star

Firstly he isn't on the verge of setting single season records. On the verge implies something is almost done, wheras KD would have to overtake 10 player seasons in PER (Chamberlain x3, Jordan x4, James x3)

Why couldn't you just have said KD is a having a historically great season, posted the numbers in context (whereby they would speak for themselves, be very impressive).

You keep saying well I'm talking about "on pace to" and not necessarily that he'll maintain it but the (your) thread topic is "on the verge of setting". As above, on the verge of means its almost done, setting a record means making it permanent. You don't say the fastest 50m sprinter is on the verge of setting the 100m record every 100m race he enters because he's at or near record pace.

KD is amazing this year. He's probably slightly worse/less impactful than his company at the top of those tables suggests because he isn't as good a defender as those around him, and is playing slightly less minutes than most of the seasons around him.

Banned

Arbitrary stats.

College superstar

Win shares are BS. http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html
    Perhaps someone smarter than I can explain it more properly, but essentially... The formula has too many estimates (.92, .32, etc), and it reads more like a Usage formula rather than a win share. Then there's the obvious impossibility of not being able to quantify all things, or even when/where/why players accrued stats.
    Then part of the equation, DefWS, are clearly bogus. http://www.basketball-reference.com/...4_leaders.html
    Down at the very bottom, under Defense Rating and under Defensive Win Shares, the top 7 spots have four Indiana players. My logic-sense tells me that ALL PLAYERS benefit from playing on a good defensive team with quality coaching/sets/help D, etc. How does one isolate individual defense?

PER: http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics
    I guess Brandan Wright, John Henson, Jordan Hill, Andray Blatche, and Kris Humphries are all better players than Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol, and Serge Ibaka.

Look, I'm a huge numbers guy with a strong math background. I love trying to quantify all things. But just use the tools realistically; we literally can not break down play/players into a single number, or even a listing of twenty numbers. Both sides of the Win Shares coin seem to be two of the WORST measurements available. PER is significantly better, but still has glaring issues. We don't need to take this information with a grain of salt, but rather with a whole bag of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Win shares are BS. http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html
    Perhaps someone smarter than I can explain it more properly, but essentially... The formula has too many estimates (.92, .32, etc), and it reads more like a Usage formula rather than a win share. Then there's the obvious impossibility of not being able to quantify all things, or even when/where/why players accrued stats.
    Then part of the equation, DefWS, are clearly bogus. http://www.basketball-reference.com/...4_leaders.html
    Down at the very bottom, under Defense Rating and under Defensive Win Shares, the top 7 spots have four Indiana players. My logic-sense tells me that ALL PLAYERS benefit from playing on a good defensive team with quality coaching/sets/help D, etc. How does one isolate individual defense?

PER: http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics
    I guess Brandan Wright, John Henson, Jordan Hill, Andray Blatche, and Kris Humphries are all better players than Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol, and Serge Ibaka.

Look, I'm a huge numbers guy with a strong math background. I love trying to quantify all things. But just use the tools realistically; we literally can not break down play/players into a single number, or even a listing of twenty numbers. Both sides of the Win Shares coin seem to be two of the WORST measurements available. PER is significantly better, but still has glaring issues. We don't need to take this information with a grain of salt, but rather with a whole bag of salt.

Well said.