Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What do you think of Derozen?

Love how Deroozan contributed the most when it mattered for USC. In the Pac-10 Tourney to make the 64 tourney.

Vs. UCLA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nptX_MCxY&fmt=18
    Vs. Arizona St. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0iNRCEhFAA

Imagine Jose with this guy

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Love how Deroozan contributed the most when it mattered for USC. In the Pac-10 Tourney to make the 64 tourney.

Vs. UCLA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nptX_MCxY&fmt=18
    Vs. Arizona St. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0iNRCEhFAA

Imagine Jose with this guy
    From what I've seen in that UCLA game, it looks like he plays very good perimeter defense and likes to get in the passing lanes. Which is something the Raptors ironically lack.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I think the thing about Derozan that gets overlooked too much is the fact the he improved so much throughout his freshman year. OK, so he didn;t live up to the hype going into college, but it wouldn't have been easy to live up to as much hype as he had. The point is though that he slowly improved in the first half and then turned it up a lot in the second half culminating in a fantastic final month when the games are so much harder to play because they count so much more and everyone on the court gives everything they have.

The guys he is being compared to here are guys that stayed in college a few years. I can;t even imagine how good Derozan would be if he stayed one more year and then if he stayed a third year? With how much desire he has shown to improve his game, we'd possibly be talking about the best player in college.

Derozan is a bit of a project but he has shown a desire and willingness to do what it takes to improve. Comboine this with his natural abilities and athleticism, he has the potential to become a good player in this league.

I'd be ecstatic if the Raps land this guy with the 9th pick.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

I wouldn't be unhappy to have Derozen, but he would be a few years away and is that what we want?

I rule the local playground HalphbreedBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator

Is his ceiling really Vince Carter?
    Nobody knows.
    I hope it is His dunks are as good as VC's younger dunks...

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    I wouldn't be unhappy to have Derozen, but he would be a few years away and is that what we want?
    Says the guy who would be willing to give Beasley developmental time in replacement of Chris Bosh... Make up your mind, do you think this team is in rebuilding mode or not?

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    Says the guy who would be willing to give Beasley developmental time in replacement of Chris Bosh... Make up your mind, do you think this team is in rebuilding mode or not?
    It really all depends on what happens with Chris Bosh.

If we trade him, we go into rebuilding.

If we don't trade him, we try to find as many veteran players as possible to help turn this team into a contender ASAP.

What do you guys think of Earl Clark?

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/200...ors/index.html

He sounds like a ****ing retard to me.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
    I hope it is His dunks are as good as VC's younger dunks...
    Which is why I refered to him earlier as the "next Air" apparent..

As I say I am sure he will be good. I am not convinced about great.

Every expert says this draft is deep in "good players". Some will take time to mature.

We had that in Joey Graham.

I would rather trade down for a Senior with maturity who can play off the bench now and try to get an existing player or two...

1) change up speed back up PG
    2) lock down 2-3 defender

(and I am alsways partial to a Rasho type 5)

I think the fact that DeRozan plays defense helps him a lot because he might not get time playing to use his offensive skills. His Defense could provide him with some solid minutes that he might not have had.

With DeRozans Offensive game, his midrange jumper is deadly along with his ability to get to the rim. If he works on some handles and the range on his shot this kid has a lot of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    Which is why I refered to him earlier as the "next Air" apparent..

As I say I am sure he will be good. I am not convinced about great.

Every expert says this draft is deep in "good players". Some will take time to mature.

We had that in Joey Graham.

I would rather trade down for a Senior with maturity who can play off the bench now and try to get an existing player or two...

1) change up speed back up PG
    2) lock down 2-3 defender

(and I am alsways partial to a Rasho type 5)
    The Seniors in this draft are extremely poor. I would stay away from the seniors in this draft.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    I think he is the pick whether we are in rebuilding mode or not. There is noone in the draft at 9 that is going to contribute immediately and turn this team into a contender suddenly. Even a guy like Flynn who may be the most ready of the players to contribute positively to make a difference would be a waste because Jose would be on the court most of the time and Flynn cannot play the two spot. Guys like Jrue and Jennings are probably going to take just as long as Derozan to make a REAL differemce in this sqaud.

At least with Derozan we get a guy that fills a position that has been a bane to this organization since VC left and has the potential to a building block to the future if we can't win now. the reality is that Bosh is a flight risk whether we want to beleive it or not and so CoAngelo needs to prepare for that possibility.

If Bosh stays. Great. Then at least in 3-4 years hen he is in his absolute prime he could have a very good wing player by his side and we will be very good then.

If Bosh goes. Well then we have another guy to potentially build around.

Rebuilding mode or not, no draft pick avaialble at that spot will change the outcome for this team in the next year or two. That will have to be done through trades or FA>

Rise Above The Comp Dr. Hoopenstein's Avatar

DeRozen is a nice player who is a couple of years away in my mind from being a nightly consistent rotation player on a NBA level.

If Toronto wants a wing player who can play right away TWilliams(played at Rainier Beach HS ala Doug Christie) is the guy. He's has a NBA level point forward type of skill set similar to DChristie plus is a long armed 6'6 player. Needs to work on his shot but has been working out w/ Gary Payton lately.

TWilliams will be the steal of the draft the more he slides.

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    You are too much sometimes.

Aren't these separate issues? Right now, with the draft less then a week away, we have Bosh. I want to keep Bosh. So I do not want a guy who is 3 years away. If we move Bosh, we'll be terrible for a while. BUT if we move him, I would prefer it to be for an upside guy.

I have no clue what direction this team is in right now.

Thank you Toni for stating the obvious that Bokes clearly missed.

Banned

DeRozan will be out of the league if he doesnt reach his potential, so I'll once again rank his potential.

Average career-Darius Miles meets Desmond Mason
    Good career-Gerald Wallace including defensive prowess
    Great career-Longer version of Vince Carter without the great ballhandling ability