Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How far was peak Amare from peak Duncan offensively?

You're talking two very different styles of offense. Duncan is a master of position and footwork, and is a good passer. He never was a volume scorer, but the attention he commanded from defenses played a huge role in his teams success.

Amar'e was a freak of nature. Insane athletic ability, but never a great post player in terms of post moves. He was always best when he faced up his opponent, and played the pick and roll. He developed and excellent 15-18 ft jumper over his career and was always one of the most efficient scorers for years in terms of how many shots he got to how many points he scored. Amar'e tended to struggle with turnovers more than Timmy, and he wasn't a doubled a lot due to the Suns outside shooting.

Timmy is ahead for sure, but prime Amar'e got somewhat close for a few years there.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Scoring wise, peak Amare was just as good as Timmy. But offense ALSO includes passing. When u factor that in, Timmy was CLEARLY better than Amare. As a TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYER, only guys like Barkley, Mailman, and KG are on Timmy's level at the PF.
    This guy gets it.

Amare was lethal offensively for a minute but he was like a black hole/finisher and not a playmaker at all.. just like Dwight Howard

Give me the guy who anchored Spurs offenses and could have championship teams built around his offense. Duncan had huge scoring games against the Suns too.

Offense is more than just scoring.. it's decision making, play making, taking on double and triple teams, and more.

Some scoring is qualitatively better than others imo. Let's remember that Suns played at a much higher pace, much different style. Duncan had elite scoring for a slow, half-court team.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

To those who actually watch the games rather than going by box scores....

Amare was more DOMINANT but Duncan was by far the more talented scorer.

Amare's dominance was completely due to physical attributes rather than actual basketball skills. He was so much stronger, quicker, and could leap higher than anyone at his position that he physically imposed himself on the opposition to score.

Amare actually didnt become a real basketball player until his tenure with the Knicks where after realizing his body was deteriorating rapidly he worked extensively with Hakeem Olajuwon to develop a post game and learn more of the games fundamentals. I think I remember him once saying D'Antoni never even taught him how to box out properly, he just showed him how to be useful in the Seven Seconds Or Less offense D'Antoni was famous for.

Decent playground baller Coach Eddie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    i would take peak amare over peak duncan. Duncan is more role playerish with amazing longevity.

I'd take Duncan. Amar'e facing up is dangerous in 1 on 1, but it is not as conducive to team ball. Duncan could actually do a back to the basket game which allows him a greater view of his teammates. This is why he was the master of the hockey assist.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Tim Duncan is by far the most overrated scorer as far as big men go.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Oh please. Duncan went toe-to-toe offensively with prime Shaq, KG, and Dirk, and beat them! ... that title you're talking about probably goes to players like Dwight Howard, Jermaine O'neal, Zach Randolph, or a slew of other bigs who's scoring wasn't really all it's cracked up to be. Hell Amare's scoring is more overrated.

Saw a basketball once

Duncan wasn't just a scorer, he was an anchor to your entire offense. Amare was just a great scorer who became an elite scorer when one of the goat passers was on his team. He couldn't anchor a championship offense though, especially not by himself like Duncan did in 03. That's a different level of game.

Severely underrated in this thread. Being the roll man is an offensive skill itself. It wasnt his primary means of scoring though, it was what popped up in the highlights. Majority of his buckets were the J from the High post or face up one/two dribbles into the paint for a finish. Everything was opened up with his jumper. Duncan has him beat on back to the basket. Amare wasn't force fed he's just an all time top tier high-post player.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Yo, still waiting on that list of 30 players who peaked higher than Duncan.

Any plans on posting that, bud?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Amar'e put up great numbers without Nash, and Duncan's teammates and coaches >>> anything Amar'e ever had.

Popovich, Manu, Parker, and D Rob compared to Nash and D'Antoni

Lest we forget that Amare was on a team that won 54 games and made the WCF without him.

Amare was the help in his prime.

Decent college freshman

He was better than Duncan

if amare is a Serbian Tiger, then Duncan is Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Lest we forget that Amare was on a team that won 54 games and made the WCF without him.

Amare was the help in his prime.

? they played the Lakers and the Clippers without him. Even without Nash, they were better than those teams. The west was overrated that year.

NBA lottery pick

The spurs would let amre go for 35-40 points while guarding him one on one. I don't recall any team in the playoffs trying to guard Duncan one on one. Need I say more?

Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all time.

Amare isn't in the top 20.

And the only advantage peak STAT would have over peak Duncan would be athleticism.

Duncan is better at literally every other aspect of the game