Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What's next? Phase 3....

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    Alex Kennedy: If Knicks trade Iman Shumpert, it'd be mistake. He has been doing two-a-days, studying the triangle and reading all of Phil Jackson's books. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA - See more at: http://*********.com/rumors.htm#sthash.BTNA1W8V.dpuf
    If he plays pg then he should stay. If he's practicing thinking of himself as a sg/sf then a 1st round pick for him is a win

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Seems Phil is jumping the draft early.

Deal in the works.....

Tyson Chandler and Felton to the Mavs for Calderon and Shane larkin and supposedly a future second rounder.

Krust Kingz

The Knicks have reached an agreement in principle to send Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to the Mavericks in exchange for Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin, Wayne Ellington, the 34th pick and 51st pick in the 2014 draft.
    So the Knicks save money, acquire 2 kids PG and SG, get 2 picks and get a big body that will get bought out most likely and a good 3 point shooting PG.

What an awesome deal by "Big Chief Triangle"....

I cant wait until we see the next move which should be in the works.

Krust Kingz

The Knicks are trying to move Samuel Dalembert and Shane Larkin, according to Chris Herring of the Wall Street Journal.
    Now that the Knicks have the 34th pick in the draft, they at least have some ammunition to get into the first round. Larkin was a top-20 pick last year and he could be used here to sneak into the 20-30 range with that 34th pick. The Knicks probably are not too attached to Dalembert and could wind up buying him out
    Things are percolating and the next salvo is being prepared....

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    Things are percolating and the next salvo is being prepared....
    So willing to trade shumpert, Larkin, and dalembert now and everyone thinks they want a late 1st?

Maybe he really does have a specific guy in mind- to me it would be a disappointment if that guy is Hairston.

Or maybe- as much as you guys hate to think about it- Phil might want to get better now and has a trade he needs more to add to.

Krust Kingz

So the draft is over....

The trade dumped the ever disappointing Felton and injury prone Chandler for PG Caldy, PG/SG Larks, SG Ellington (expirer), C Dale (expirer early buy out option).

2 draft picks
    SF Cleanthony Early, SF Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Purchased pick
    PF Louis Labeyrie

The good is Felton is gone and somewhat Chandler is gone. Chandler was an expirer and long term Caldy is paid 7 mill for 3 more years I think. But in the grand scheme of things Caldy ranks 21st in terms of salary and he is probably a top 20 starting PG.

Larks who knows what he'll be but he was good potential coming out of Miami.
    Dale could be bought out or he could be a rotation player.
    Ellington is a shooter but who knows what the plans are could be just a guy.
    Any of these guys could be moved at any point.

The draft picks 2 SF's Thanasis is athletic as hell and he got a serious wingspan nice ups. Early kind of athletic can shoot some can do a little of everything definitely 2 projects. I dont know how many more SF's this team could actually take on... Melo, Odom, Hardaway...

Louis I dont know just a french guy.

I wont 2nd guess the picks everyone will find a player they could have taken instead or was better. I wont harp on those issues because I personally dont care. I let the other draft carers do that.

At some point Zen should look at getting an athletic big though. Someone that can be explosive be a PF or C. This team hasnt been fast or explosive for some time never having thoroughbreds. I hope this changes soon. It will be interesting who he brings in for summer league and thank goodness it wont be CAA clients anymore.

I kind of like the direction Zen is going but I do believe there are some other things in the works.

What's your take?

So the draft is over....

The trade dumped the ever disappointing Felton and injury prone Chandler for PG Caldy, PG/SG Larks, SG Ellington (expirer), C Dale (expirer early buy out option).

2 draft picks
    SF Cleanthony Early, SF Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Purchased pick
    PF Louis Labeyrie

The good is Felton is gone and somewhat Chandler is gone. Chandler was an expirer and long term Caldy is paid 7 mill for 3 more years I think. But in the grand scheme of things Caldy ranks 21st in terms of salary and he is probably a top 20 starting PG.

Larks who knows what he'll be but he was good potential coming out of Miami.
    Dale could be bought out or he could be a rotation player.
    Ellington is a shooter but who knows what the plans are could be just a guy.
    Any of these guys could be moved at any point.

The draft picks 2 SF's Thanasis is athletic as hell and he got a serious wingspan nice ups. Early kind of athletic can shoot some can do a little of everything definitely 2 projects. I dont know how many more SF's this team could actually take on... Melo, Odom, Hardaway...

Louis I dont know just a french guy.

I wont 2nd guess the picks everyone will find a player they could have taken instead or was better. I wont harp on those issues because I personally dont care. I let the other draft carers do that.

At some point Zen should look at getting an athletic big though. Someone that can be explosive be a PF or C. This team hasnt been fast or explosive for some time never having thoroughbreds. I hope this changes soon. It will be interesting who he brings in for summer league and thank goodness it wont be CAA clients anymore.

I kind of like the direction Zen is going but I do believe there are some other things in the works.

What's your take?
    odom would not (considering he can play) play sf. He hasn't played sf for many years and if he is looked at as anything it's as a pf. Hardaway is a sg. Carmelo/clean thorny as the only 3's

Totally agree on your type of big to bring in. Sounds like you accidentally described Larry sanders though.

Def have more work to do- esp w the bigs

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    odom would not (considering he can play) play sf. He hasn't played sf for many years and if he is looked at as anything it's as a pf. Hardaway is a sg. Carmelo/clean thorny as the only 3's

Totally agree on your type of big to bring in. Sounds like you accidentally described Larry sanders though.

Def have more work to do- esp w the bigs
    Larry Sanders is a big no.... didnt Knickcity explain this already
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ab-this-summer

Inconsequential about those positions really and we can agree to disagree on them.

Oh dont get me wrong this team doesnt have explosive players in general but they have gotten more athletic though. We arent running any thoroughbreds at the moment besides Thanasis.

Its just imperative the team becomes more explosive and get more shooters. Those things still havent been answered but they are better than they were in previous years.

But at least there are options and there are only glaring wholes with the bigs.

Any examples of the choices you are talking about or of bigs that would fit with what's going on?

All the quotes from Phil that I'm seeing look more like he wants to get better now than this boards hopes of tanking or waiting.

Krust Kingz

Any examples of the choices you are talking about or of bigs that would fit with what's going on?

All the quotes from Phil that I'm seeing look more like he wants to get better now than this boards hopes of tanking or waiting.
    They could always bring back Jeremy Tyler, Jordan Hill, Mike Scott but they can always find even cheaper undrafted FA's....

Anything he does would be better than what was here before. This was a terrible team in the East thats not really saying much.

They could always bring back Jeremy Tyler, Jordan Hill, Mike Scott but they can always find even cheaper undrafted FA's....

Anything he does would be better than what was here before. This was a terrible team in the East thats not really saying much.
    Oh min wage guys. Dang I thought you were warming up to the idea of another trade to get better.

As far as min wage guys-

I like Tyler a lot. I think he could be a good 4th-5th big. He didn't show the league enough to get a deal we couldn't match did he? (Sorry to you real Knicks fans for a bandwagon fan like me using the word we)

Jordan hill ? I think he gets more than min. Prob worth the 3 mill slot but I hope they find a better use for it

Austin Daye. I know he's had chances but I hope the Knicks are his next. You know, the old pf/sg combo.

Krust Kingz

Oh min wage guys. Dang I thought you were warming up to the idea of another trade to get better.

As far as min wage guys-

I like Tyler a lot. I think he could be a good 4th-5th big. He didn't show the league enough to get a deal we couldn't match did he? (Sorry to you real Knicks fans for a bandwagon fan like me using the word we)

Jordan hill ? I think he gets more than min. Prob worth the 3 mill slot but I hope they find a better use for it

Austin Daye. I know he's had chances but I hope the Knicks are his next. You know, the old pf/sg combo.
    I am not as creative as you. But I'm cheap dont want to mess up the salary cap. At least Melo decision will come sooner rather than later. Also LBJ, Bosh and Wade should be done by then.

Calderon/shumpert/Larkin/prigioni
    Jr/Hardaway/thanasis/Ellington
    ________/cleanthony
    Amare/Lamar odom or Kmart
    Bargnani/dalembert

Does Phil convince Carmelo that this is the roster that he should come back to or does he have to make a big trade still to have a roster Carmelo wants to play w? Which roster can sell Carmelo?

Calderon/shumpert
    Jr/OJ
    ______/cleanthony
    Sanders/illyasova
    Bargnani/Zaza

Roster 1 requires getting 2-3 bigs at min wage that can contribute. Roster 2 requires finding a couple min wage gaurds. But roster 1 gives the gullible the belief that carapace will bring a new star next year

Krust Kingz

You want to make a big splash now to show Melo something. But the problem is when you make a big splash move and if Melo leaves we're stuck with that guy.

Also since you arent a Knicks fan we have actually rebuilt once with no draft picks. At least now if we suck for a year maybe we can actually draft in the lottery. If Melo moves on.
    Last edited by Rameek; 06-30-2014 at 12:34 PM.

You want to make a big splash now to show Melo something. But the problem is when you make a big splash move and if Melo leaves we're stuck with that guy.

Also since you arent a Knicks fan we have actually rebuilt once with no draft picks. At least now if we suck for a year maybe we can actually draft in the lottery. If Melo moves on.
    Don't take a shot if you might fail?

Yeah I'm definitely saying go all out to build around Carmelo because those superstar free agent that are going to beat down your door is too much of a gamble. You think you're playing it safe by showing Carmelo the door but really your taking an even bigger gamble. With worse odds

I'm not a fan because I just jumped on the bandwagon when Carmelo came and like jR smith and Bargnani and Phil a lot? I want to see them win and be put in position to succeed. I guess we will either find out or not, but I just don't believe Phil is in this to "hope" and wait for something to fall in his lap even if he has the ability to do so without stirring up his fan base.