Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hall of Famer? Part 2: Tracy McGrady

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    You mean all around, right?
    Whats the difference?

I think he was the best SG in that time frame followed very closely by Kobe Bryant.

Kobe has the Team accolades but he also had the best player in the league at the time and a much better overall team.

I dont think that's a fair excuse to say Kobe > TMac.

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

Now with TMac this can go either way like hyliannightmare mentioned. Early in his Magic and Rockets days, he seemed to be a lock for the hall of fame, but injuries crippled him big time. Now with the Pistons if he can slowly get back to form and win a playoff round, then no doubt he would get my vote for the HOF.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    Give me one player, who has dominated the game on the level Tracy McGrady has, who is not currently in the hall of fame.. Don't worry, I'll wait.
    How do you dominate the game by never making it out of the first round? Don't worry, I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
    How do you dominate the game by never making it out of the first round? Don't worry, I'll wait.
    By having your 2nd and 3rd best players be Old Fat Decrepit Shawn Kemp and young Mike Miller?

It's a team game.

What did Kobe accomplish from 05-07 with TMac like Cast's?
    Same thing TMac did.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    By having your 2nd and 3rd best players be Old Fat Decrepit Shawn Kemp and young Mike Miller?

It's a team game.

Same thing TMac did.
    So many excuses. Kobe won several championships. Paul Pierce made it to conference finals with Toine, Walter McCarty and Rodney Rogers. VC made it to 2nd round with 50 year old Oakley playing 40 minutes per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
    So many excuses.
    Kobe's Teams in which he was only the best player on 7 or 8 of them and on 2/5 Title Teams won several championships.
    Fixed.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I don't think he should get in. He had some great years, but overall nope. Many peoples in the NBA have had great peak years, but overall were not great because of injuries or other issues.

It's a team game.

Same thing TMac did.
    Honestly, its not a fair comparison. The east was terribly weak when tmac was on the magic. The west was incredibly strong during the same time frame.

Its why I feel a lot of you guys are overrating tmacs situation. It didn't take much to succeed in east at that time. Iverson led the sixers to the nba finals with a core of mutombo, eric snow and arron mckie. The magics best season,under tmacs leadership, won 44 games and were exited in the first round

Jason kidd led the nets to back to back finals with rookie richard jefferson and a raw kenyon martin.
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 11-25-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Honestly, its not a fair comparison. The east was terribly weak when tmac was on the magic. The west was incredibly strong during the same time frame.

Its why I feel a lot of you guys are overrating tmacs situation. It didn't take much to succeed in east at that time. Iverson led the sixers to the nba finals with a core of mutombo, eric snow and arron mckie.

Jason kidd led the nets to back to back finals with rookie richard jefferson and a raw kenyon martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls

Its why I feel a lot of you guys are overrating tmacs situation. It didn't take much to succeed in east at that time. Iverson led the sixers to the nba finals with a core of mutombo, eric snow and arron mckie.

Thats a bad excuse..

Your underestimating just how bad those Orlando teams were.

Jason Kidd had a much better team around him then TMac did and its not even remotely close.

Young KMart was a beast and the core of him Jefferson and Kittles was so much better then what TMac had.

I understand your point but you cant assume others could have accomplished more with the same Casts just like you cant Assume Prime TMac couldn't have gotten to the first round and failed with the teams Kobe had from 05-07.

Good High School Starter

Thats a bad excuse..

Your underestimating just how bad those Orlando teams were.

Jason Kidd had a much better team around him then TMac did and its not even remotely close.

Young KMart was a beast and the core of him Jefferson and Kittles was so much better then what TMac had.

I understand your point but you cant assume others could have accomplished more with the same Casts just like you cant Assume Prime TMac couldn't have gotten to the first round and failed with the teams Kobe had from 05-07.
    Jason Kidd went to the NBA FINALS twice in a row, with Richard ****ing Jefferson as your second best player. We are not asking for T-Mac to be as good as Jason Kidd. But if Tmac was a HOF caliber player who "dominated" the NBA, then you would expect he could have at least made it out of the first round.

But we don't have to assume anything. His teams were good enough to win in the regular season, but not good enough to win in the playoffs. Not just in Orlando; everywhere. Not win championships. Win a single series.

TMac for 3 or 4 years in that time period 00-05 was putting up 32/6/6 on 55%+TS with very low turnover rate in the playoffs.

Is it really his fault that those teams didn't advance?

Really?

TMac for 3 or 4 years in that time period 00-05 was putting up 32/6/6 on 55%+TS with very low turnover rate in the playoffs.

Is it really his fault that those teams didn't advance?
    Difference between a really good player who scored but did little else and a Hall of Fame caliber player.

There have been lots of really good, even great, scorers. Especially when you're talking about a period of just a few years. They don't all get in the Hall of Fame, and rightly so.
    Last edited by JMT; 11-25-2011 at 03:55 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Like I've said before, Tracy is massively overrated as scorer beside that 03 season even aside from the back injury. in 01 and 02 when he was the man he was scoring 26.8pts on 22.4 shots and 25.6 shots 20.9 shots...there is nothing particularly impressive about that. I'm not discussing his all around game which was pretty damn good, but as a scorer you all have him massively overrated. After that 03 season in 04 he averaged 28.0ppg on 23.4 shots...again...not impressive. In 05...25.7 on 21.3. There is nothing special about that. It doesn't really get any better after that the following Rocket years. Just a high volume shooter for his points back injury or not. If he was so crippled by his back he shouldn't be shooting his team out of games then. That 03 season was literally the only season he ever had that he was efficient as a scorer at all. People need to stop over glorifying him because of that back injury.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 11-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.