Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Default Windows 10 review discussion

anyone else update? what are your impressions? i'm not a fan of the new start menu

i use my mac most of the time but i need a windows laptop for work as well and i like the general interface a bit better than windows 7

Default Re: Windows 10

Haven't been my turn yet. Still waiting.

I'm wary because I play a lot of games that I don't want breaking. I'll do a full backup today and then maybe give it a shot.

In 10 months on my main machine, if I need to look for info, all the answers will be on Google. Enjoy beta testing my future.

I installed it this morning and it definitely broke some drivers and such, but all in all no major issues. It seems a lot better designed than Windows 8, so if you are annoyed with that go ahead and pull the trigger. It does feel slightly slower than 8 right now, but I'm sure that's just a matter of optimisation. Thank god the Metro UI is gone at least.

The main thing is that it's another unfocused effort. It feels like a Desktop/Notebook/Tablet/Phone UI. But I don't want that and I figure most other people don't either.
    I want a UI that feels like it's made and optimized for the device I'm using. An optimal phone UI on my phone, an optimal PC UI on my PC. Simple. This feels one-size-fits-all, which is just totally unnecessary. It's not bad though.

Earned not given

I like it. It's clean, simple, easy to use, and is made to be able to work on desktops, laptops, and smaller touch screen devices flawlessly. The start menu is a mix of the old Windows start menu and the Windows 8 clunky ass start screen. Customization is quick and easy. Upgrading is quick and easy. Cortana is a nicely added feature. Edge (replaces Internet Explorer) is a clean looking browser, but I still prefer Firefox. I had no issues with drivers, upgrading, or installation whatsoever (but my computer is some top notch shit so...)

I think it's worth the jump if you have a compatible computer. If your computer is old as shit, stay away.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Installed it a few hours ago. Very nice OS. I really dig the start menu since it's like a happy marriage between Win 8 start menu and the old start. The fluidity and design is very nice so far.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

If you want to update right away, try this:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/ho...-update-files/

worked for me

installed on 3 pc's, all working like a champ...smooth process

i used the tool kit to burn an iso of windows 10, i couldn't bother waiting

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    In 10 months on my main machine, if I need to look for info, all the answers will be on Google. Enjoy beta testing my future.
    You're welcome...

Anyways so far so good. Edge works great for a 1.0 version and it starts so quickly. It works as a mobile browser though, and the reason I know is because Jeff put this code than when it goes mobile it will put this weird background under the forum and I see it everytime I am on this browser and not chrome.

The OS works fast as expected. But I have a problem with my speakers and that is that is not accepting my Realtek drivers.

Very good NBA starter

when it comes to upgrading operating systems on existing computers, particularly microsoft products, i always believed in the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" because previous experiences have usually been dreadful.

maybe they've improved their buggy ways in upgrades, but still, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" works for me right now.

I upgraded this morning. Whole process took between 15 and 20 minutes. Absolutely seamless, smooth as can be. It's actually the first time I'm impressed by something Microsoft. The OS itself feels like a huge step forward over Windows 8, which was a steaming pile of shit. Still haven't had much time to dig deep, but on first try it feels cleaner and way easier to use.

Why did people hate Windows 8? It booted up in seconds, was quick, never crashed on me. I could also mount disc images without using bloatware like alcohol.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

I reserved the upgrade, but how do I install?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
    I reserved the upgrade, but how do I install?
    It'll get there on its own but if you want to force it:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/28/ho...-update-files/