Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Arrow Why Bernie Sanders worries America is becoming an oligarchy

NBA Legend

Default Re: Why Bernie Sanders worries America is becoming an oligarchy

Who?

National High School Star

Noble principle of trying to keep corruption out of politics... but his solution of providing a $100 tax credit to every citizen so they can donate to a candidate? Is he serious???

Becoming? It has been an Oligarchy for some time now. All modern democracies are pretty much oligarchical, tis the inevitable result for democracies as soon as they abandon the maintenance of a natural aristocracy in favour of the dogmatism of popular governance, which is a mirage.

Those really are the only two options.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

USA living rent free in the OP's head

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Unless you redefine how democracy is described, the United states is a democracy. It's plainly obvious the most powerful people in a society will always have more power. That doesn't make the United States anything other than a democracy.
    The dictionary definition of democracy is so broad so as to render it almost meaningless.

Sure, in name, it is a democracy, but it is also a Constitutional Republic, and an oligarchy. These things aren't mutually exclusive - democracies are well-known to create oligarchical elites, and have always done so. Calling the US a Constitutional Republic is far more precise, and tells you far more about its political structure, than calling it a democracy.

Dresta types a bunch of shit and says nothing... typical.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...44&postcount=6

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Its amazing people pay exorbitant costs (plus interest) to get the approval of a bunch of smug, phony, pretentious hacks with completely arbitrary qualifications for teaching others.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilandywiggins
    Yeah, we could get the same thing for free from Dresta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Becoming? It has been an Oligarchy for some time now. All modern democracies are pretty much oligarchical, tis the inevitable result for democracies as soon as they abandon the maintenance of a natural aristocracy in favour of the dogmatism of popular governance, which is a mirage.

Those really are the only two options.
    Are you saying the only 2 options are:
    1) natural aristocracy
    2) popular governance

and that popular governance inevitably results in oligarchy?

I just want clarification before I make my next point.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Dresta types a bunch of shit and says nothing... typical.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...44&postcount=6

Do you have a bookmarks folder that's called 'people insulting Dresta' or something? I guess i know who one of my stalkers is now...you need to get some kind of a life man, seriously, i didn't think you were this pathetic, bearing grudges so strongly over the interwebz. Oh, and when have you said anything? Because i missed it if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Are you saying the only 2 options are:
    1) natural aristocracy
    2) popular governance

and that popular governance inevitably results in oligarchy?

I just want clarification before I make my next point.
    In a large nation of 10s of millions? Yeah, pretty much. I suppose you could have an absolute dictatorship as well, but that's worse than both, and they usually don't last very long; the other two are somewhat self-perpetuating, though historically, they both seem to destroy themselves eventually (one through inertia, the other through flux and chaos).

The founding fathers were a good example of a natural aristocracy, and how effective one can be in times of turmoil. Imagine politicians compromising now over a new Constitution in the way these learned gentleman did - would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Yes, but the whole point of bernie sanders little shtick about calling the US a oligarchy is to scare people into think there is some form of regression in the political system where people are taking away their political priveleges and he plans to give it back.
    Oh, for sure - Sanders is reminisce of the old-school Populist movement, your standard anti-establishment demagogue of the left. Not sure anyone can right the path the US is on, certainly not little old Bernie; usually things have to go to shit before any meaningful change comes about.

Dresta being Dresta. He actually changed his tunes and now trolls with a different set of angry words, I've seen some that were quite on point lately.

rank sentamentalist

Not sure anyone can right the path the US is on, certainly not little old Bernie;

usually things have to go to shit before any meaningful change comes about.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs

Bernie Sanders is saying all the right things, however. Literally, everything he says is on point (that I heard him saying). Isn't that great?

rank sentamentalist

he's definitely a standard anti-establishment left wing demagogue, but he's such a seasoned vet with so many years under his belt and the timing is just write for his message that people can't help but pay attention.

bear in mind though that whatever he's saying now has nothing to do with how successful he'd be in office. he's got nice ideas but they're easier said than done.

Banned

If Hillary wins four out of the last five presidents would either be a Bush or a Clinton smh.

National High School Star

Dresta is one of the better posters in this forum. It is easy to tell that he doesn't regurgitate something that can be easily googled or relies heavily on links and articles to make his argument. His posts are usually more fleshed out than others and goes much further than the common posting of a crass insult followed by one or two sentences you always see from other posters.