Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Gasol gets overrated to discredit Kobe

Gasol never averaged 20 & 10 once in his career (not even as 1st option in Memphis) link

For comparison, Bosh and Love have each done it 3 times link, link

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default Re: Gasol gets overrated to discredit Kobe

Pau was the best passing big man of the 00-10s and was just below Duncan and Yao as the most onstoppable big post player in the game. He never averaged 20 and 10 but he was close multiple of times and he also averaged 1.6 BPG in his career (neither Bosh or Love came close): better paint defender and shot blocker than both Bosh and Love. Pau was a finess post player something unexistant in todays nba.

Great college starter

Pau was great for the Lakers but people absolutely do overrate him to hate on Kobe

I saw this thread on reddit recently
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...lakers_had_an/

Showing how Kobe’s on/off impact surpassed the best of players like LeBron, Westbrook, Nash etc showing just how dominant HE was while playing on an all time bad Lakers team. That carry job was unreal (#3 offense with him, historically bad without him)

little unpopular but kobe 06 has a good case over 87 mj, 03 tmac, 09 wade type years. difference is how good the lakers are offensively with kobe, odom, and crap essentially compared to those other teams. plus/minus is kind of noisy however and the 07 stats with a similar roster/carry job are vastly different(109.7 on, 104.7 off)

I get people who default to 08 kobe however as his peak, his defense is better and the mvp was deserved. I'm a Paul guy but actually disagree paul deserved mvp in 08. the 08 team had fantastic results with bynum/gasol playing a combined 62 games, this wasnt 09-11 where both played together. Went 46-16 in those games

More like the opposite, gasol underrated to overcredit Kobe.

Decent college freshman

the guy who was snubbed hardcore for 2010 FMVP cant be overrated
    Last edited by zeerghit; 07-23-2019 at 03:31 AM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Just like Wade and Pippen he gets over or under rated depending entirely on which group of irrational people is trying to prop up or diminish LeBron Kobe or Jordan. You almost never hear a reasonable middle ground approach taken with any of them here because most normal posters know you can

The thing is, Gasol was amazing. Just like Pippen was amazing.

Them being amazing doesn't have to discredit or bring down Kobe & Jordan. No one wins championship without amazing performances beside them. Even when Dirk won it, his team was performing at a very high level for their talent on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    The thing is, Gasol was amazing. Just like Pippen was amazing.

Them being amazing doesn't have to discredit or bring down Kobe & Jordan. No one wins championship without amazing performances beside them. Even when Dirk won it, his team was performing at a very high level for their talent on paper.
    Gasol was a lot more dominant in the 2010 playoffs (relative to the number 1 option, Kobe) than Pippen ever was, to Jordan.

Gasol outperformed Kobe in the 2010 finals. Jordan never had that. And Lebron only had that once (2011).

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    More like the opposite, gasol underrated to overcredit Kobe.
    I was going to say that I feel it's the other way around, most of the time. Kobe fans spend their entire time online telling everyone that Gasol was a scrub, in order to prop up Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    Gasol was a lot more dominant in the 2010 playoffs (relative to the number 1 option, Kobe) than Pippen ever was, to Jordan.

Gasol outperformed Kobe in the 2010 finals. Jordan never had that. And Lebron only had that once (2011).
    This is just straight up disingenuous.

Gasol outplayed kobe how, cause VORP? Winshare?

Gasol played very well and played an integral role in both championships but like 60% of his shots were spoonfed wide open created by Kobe. I'm a Gasol hater here only because of how much stupid hate Kobe gets. Gasol was great but it was all Kobe no matter what VORP tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    Gasol never averaged 20 & 10 once in his career (not even as 1st option in Memphis) link

For comparison, Bosh and Love have each done it 3 times link, link
    I'm a Heat fan, and I'd never take Bosh over Gasol. I don't think it is particularly close either.

Gasol was putting up 19/11 in the two playoff runs to the title. He certainly never laid eggs as big as Bosh did either in the playoffs. Bosh for comparison put up 14/7.

Nothing to do with underrating anyone. Gasol was just that good.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I'm a Heat fan, and I'd never take Bosh over Gasol. I don't think it is particularly close either.

Gasol was putting up 19/11 in the two playoff runs to the title. He certainly never laid eggs as big as Bosh did either in the playoffs. Bosh for comparison put up 14/7.

Nothing to do with underrating anyone. Gasol was just that good.
    Your comparison isn't fair as one was the 2nd option and one was the 3rd option. Naturally the stats wouldn't be close and Bosh would look a lot different if he had a 2nd option role under Kobe as opposed to being behind LeBron and Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    This is just straight up disingenuous.

Gasol outplayed kobe how, cause VORP? Winshare?

Gasol played very well and played an integral role in both championships but like 60% of his shots were spoonfed wide open created by Kobe. I'm a Gasol hater here only because of how much stupid hate Kobe gets. Gasol was great but it was all Kobe no matter what VORP tells you.
    You realize that you literally transpose the two names and change the metrics and your post wouldn't be any different:

Kobe outplayed Pau how, cause PPg? FGA?

Kobe played very well and played an integral role in both championships but like 60% of his shots were spoonfed wide open created by Pau. I'm a kobe hater here only because of how much stupid hate Pau gets. Kobe was great but it was all Gasol no matter what ppg tells you.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    You realize that you literally transpose the two names and change the metrics and your post wouldn't be any different:

Kobe outplayed Pau how, cause PPg? FGA?

Kobe played very well and played an integral role in both championships but like 60% of his shots were spoonfed wide open created by Pau. I'm a kobe hater here only because of how much stupid hate Pau gets. Kobe was great but it was all Gasol no matter what ppg tells you.
    You serious with this shit?
    Last edited by superduper; 07-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.