Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Steven A Smith: "Melo would change his legacy if he joined the Lakers"

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Because it's the second-greatest team achievement in basketball (a team other than USA winning the world's is #1). It keeps people from saying he never won a ring. This isn't about how good he was (that really can't be measured by championships alone anyhow) it's about how his career is remembered, which is just going to come down to what people see when they look at the wiki. Probably less than half this board saw Barkley or Nique but just assume they're lesser stars because they didn't win a ring. Change that narrative and a player's legacy changes.
    I didn't remember shet until it was mentioned. Now it's coming back to me and I remember shaq hugging him after the 2nd title when they beat the Nets

But he was a bench player and 36 at the time

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Steven A Smith: "Melo would change his legacy if he joined the Lakers"

Quote Originally Posted by PWB15
    I didn't remember shet until it was mentioned. Now it's coming back to me and I remember shaq hugging him after the 2nd title when they beat the Nets

But he was a bench player and 36 at the time
    Not sure who you're talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    What exactly is Melo's legacy?
    goat FIBA player

Him winning a ring won

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Him winning a ring won’t help his legacy much. The narrative becomes he was carried to his first ring because he couldn’t win one as the man. That’s not much different than he never won a ring. I honestly forgot Gary Payton won a ring. When people talk about Barkley not winning a ring it’s done in the context he couldn’t get it done as the man. I’m imagining how that changes had he won one in Houston. I don’t think it changes. Instead of bringing up being ringless it becomes you got carried to your only ring. I’m just not seeing the difference here.

Legacy changing for me has to be something drastic. Like Melo embracing being a role player. We all know he’s wired to be a starter. For him to change that would be legacy changing for him. And had a ring resulted would’ve added to the change it even more.
    Someone that really remembers his career will think that way but the remembered narrative by the general public won't delve into details. While they're winning the ring ESPN will mainly talk about how he's sacrificed his scoring and could have had a bigger role on some other team that may not even exist. A decade ;ater when they hold the ceremony to honor their Championship the SportsCenter anchor is going to talk about what a great player he was in his heyday. This isn't about reality it's about perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Someone that really remembers his career will think that way but the remembered narrative by the general public won't delve into details. While they're winning the ring ESPN will mainly talk about how he's sacrificed his scoring and could have had a bigger role on some other team that may not even exist. A decade ;ater when they hold the ceremony to honor their Championship the SportsCenter anchor is going to talk about what a great player he was in his heyday. This isn't about reality it's about perception.
    The casual fan who doesn

How could he change his legacy when he doesn

SAS has had a hard on for Melo since forever

Melo could go to China and change his legacy too.

[QUOTE=Kiddlovesnets]How could he change his legacy when he doesn