Default Shouldn't the Spurs start to rebuild?

Their stars are Derozan and aging Aldridge. They might be the definition of 'mediocre good team'. Should they start their rebuild ASAP or hang around the 1st/2nd round playoff for a few more seasons?

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Default Re: Shouldn't the Spurs start to rebuild?

This is most likely Pops last season. The Spurs owe him one last playoff run. Once he's retired they can start to rebuild.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

I think Pop is gonna give it one more season since he's on the hook to coach the 2020 Olympics. They have all-defense Dejounte Murray coming back. With Durant leaving, they could actually be a (really) dark horse next year when there very well could be 8-ish legit contenders. There's no reason to tear down success prematurely. If they finally miss the playoffs or are sub-.500 then you consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
    I think Pop is gonna give it one more season since he's on the hook to coach the 2020 Olympics. They have all-defense Dejounte Murray coming back. With Durant leaving, they could actually be a (really) dark horse next year when there very well could be 8-ish legit contenders. There's no reason to tear down success prematurely. If they finally miss the playoffs or are sub-.500 then you consider it.
    This. Pop will stay until the olympics and it will be downhill from there. Hopefully the NBA will bring back the Sonics by then so I can jump back to my original bandwagon.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Aside from the season they tanked and kept Robinson out the whole season when he could

No, there are records to be broken and furthered.

Firstly, the Spurs have the all-time winning percentage secured pretty tightly thanks to the Lakers continuing struggles of sub 50 percent seasons the past 6 or so years.

Second, the all-time playoff appearance streak will be tied this year and broken if they make it next year.

Third, Pop is in line to break most wins by a head coach in the next 2-3 years.

Newsflash: Only one team rings a year and tanking, as the shite franchises show, guarantees nothing.

Nobody is beating the Warriors this year so there was no point in breaking up a potential playoff candidate for no reason. Let next year shake out however it does by handling Spurs business, which means shopping DeRozan for best offers and also Aldridge if he desires to go back to Portland.

They also have decent young prospects already in White and Murray and will be getting their best draft picks in many years already due to low playoff seeding and the Leonard deal.