Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Kenny Smith ruined the dunk contest.

Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan82
    2 reasons...lebron in the dunk contest would be 2001/11 over again..carter and griffin won because of their name...

second reason is..lebron might choke..i mean, he's supposed to win if he enters, right?
    You sure Carter won because of his name or because he had the better dunks?
    Griffin, what name, this dunk contest gave him his fame.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    While he is the MC, there is no reason for an MC at a dunk contest.
    That's more or less what I was going for. There's no reason any of that stuff should have existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan82
    2 reasons...lebron in the dunk contest would be 2001/11 over again..carter and griffin won because of their name...
    With respect, I must ask if you would like to reconsider at least part of this statement.

The NBA needs to stop the dunk contest and do a 1 on 1 contest.

The 3 point contest will always be the best event to me. Anyone can do that drill and it's fun to see if any of the players can make all 25 shots.

All-Star weekend is just boring now.

The skills challenge is lame too. You can't get to see the speed of the guards because the changing of direction slows them down. They need to have a course that encourages the guards to sprint while dribbling.

You can't have a timed event and have John Wall and Westbrook having to slow down as they round the cones. It's boring.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    The NBA needs to stop the dunk contest and do a 1 on 1 contest.

The 3 point contest will always be the best event to me. Anyone can do that drill and it's fun to see if any of the players can make all 25 shots.

All-Star weekend is just boring now.

The skills challenge is lame too. You can't get to see the speed of the guards because the changing of direction slows them down. They need to have a course that encourages the guards to sprint while dribbling.

You can't have a timed event and have John Wall and Westbrook having to slow down as they round the cones. It's boring.
    I actually agree with you about a potential sprint portion added to the Skills competition. I'm guessing they feel the sprint comes in on the final layup, though there's not a ton of space. I'd suggest eliminating one weave stretch and turning it into an outright speed dribble, but that might make the "skills" portion feel too empty.

Regarding the one-on-one competition, I can't see any stars today submitting to such an idea. If they can't muster up the courage to compete in the dunk contest, I doubt they'll put their rep on the line for a 1-on-1 performance.

Props ruined the dunk contest
    No judges ruins the contest

Banned

"Back in my day we had Desmond Mason, Jason Richardson, Vince Carter doing sick dunks, now it's just embarrasing with all the props, the kids of today will not understand."

something cool would be if the fans vote for the best 12 dunks they would like to see, and then put those on a wheel for the 4 contestants to spin and perform. let it be random and unpredictable, if you cant do it, too bad

instead we see this crap nowadays where they practice it to hell, instead of it being based off true ability and skill

I can practice a between-the-legs windmill dunk all I want, but I'll never be able to do it.

It's still skill, bro.

last night I was under the impression that the participants hadn't even prepared the contest at all. they basically put no ammount of effort to the whole thing. It was really disrespectful to the fans.

For a good dunk contest (or all star game for that matter) you need participants that actually have some drive to win it, and put some level of competition into the whole thing. thats why the 3pt contest was actually interesting, all of them wanted to take the victory.

the single most important thing is the player selection, you have to select people who have a rilvary between them, or really want to be in the dunk contest for some reason (international players for example, are usually decent at the very least).

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by bence23
    04 was the last good one.. j rich vs desmond.

j rich was great 3 years in a row.
    j-rich vs. desmond was in 03..

to me '06 was the last good one.. Nate vs. Iggy.. I know most of us think Iggy was robbed but nevermind the result.. That shyt was entertaining..

Dunking on everybody in the park shallehalle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwooshReturns
    Dunk contest has been dead since 2001, it was dead for awhile before that though, to be honest.
    then rewatch 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008

I didnt mind it this year, there was some great dunks..
    Although, id have to agree I prefer the old format with the judges, and go back to it being about the dunks, not so many gimmicks etc..

The best dunks this year no surprises were actual dunks, not prop gimmick BS

It might help if they asked or selected some bigger name players to make it more appealing though

ALSO... Sit down the guys competing in it, and make them watch some HS, college, sprite, TFB, youtube etc dunk comps, even some of the older NBA ones, and show them what is expected and say NO to props and gimmicks... Al those comps always seem much better to me!!
    Last edited by coin24; 02-26-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    Didn't lebron promise to be in the dunk contest one year? Why was that promise never fulfilled?
    cos he likes to troll ppl like you

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Yeah because the wack dunks had absolutely nothing to do with ruining the DC.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

i wish lebron would join, he can do every dunk in this contest easily and better. watching evans and paul, lebron is on a whole nother level in terms of athleticism