Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Default Re: Who is the strongest

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    I don't mean to offend kblaze or jlauber but I don't believe Wilt's strength. If you lift weights regularly, especially weights that put you arguably as the strongest man in the world, you would develop some kind of muscular build but I just don't see it with Wilt.
    He looks lanky only because he's 7' tall.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    where he's from that's a sign of mourning...... they must be losing bad

Chamberlain's the strongest I've seen in the NBA by far, not even close. That guy just picked up a guy off the floor with one hand like he was a loaf of bread. Amazing.

But another guy who I didn't see on here was Chocolate Thunder.... dude was strong

ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

3-time NBA All-Star

I am short on time, so I won't look up the post, but PHILA produced some photos of Chamberlain which show a far more impressive physique. Hopefully he reads this, and digs them up for the benefit of those that haven't viewed them yet.

What about Shaq though? He was really lanky coming out of high school but in the NBA you can still tell he had a somewhat muscular build even in his fatter years.
    Dwight's only 1-2 inches short of 7 feet and you can tell he has a muscular build. Same goes for David Robinson, and Karl Malone (again, I don't see a few inches making a huge difference)

His limbs are extremely long - longer than, Shaq's or Kareem's even though they are of similar height - which makes his mass deceiving.

In this specific image Wilt is is 48 years old, exactly 327lbs, and works out with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

In this specific image Shaq is 39 years old, no less than 360lbs, and smokes weed with Hoopz.

Who's the stronger athlete?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.

What about Shaq though? He was really lanky coming out of high school but in the NBA you can still tell he had a somewhat muscular build even in his fatter years.
    Dwight's only 1-2 inches short of 7 feet and you can tell he has a muscular build. Same goes for David Robinson, and Karl Malone (again, I don't see a few inches making a huge difference)
    Dwight is 6'9
    www.draftexpress.com/measurements

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lbj23clutch

6'8 and there was even rumors that he weighed in at 274 at one point. Though realistically I think he's about 260.

Not the strongest ever, but probably the strongest perimeter player ever in terms of pure strength(not weight lifting) and one of the strongest players today.

I remember reading somewhere, I think it was SLAM, saying that LeBron didn't start regularly lifting weights till the 05-06' season. Which is pretty amazing because you would think a guy that strong would be hitting the weight room already.
    He is certainly the strongest wing men ever i think right now he weighs 266lbs.I remember it from an article this summer.Actually howard is around 6'9.5 realistically and around 270-275lbs.I am sure lebron is not the strongest player ever.However he maybe the strongest player today including centers.(only centers i suspect is stronger is pekovic and bynum)

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    He was straight out of high school at the time, he's at least grown 1 inch since then. Again, 3 inches will not make a HUGE difference.

Also, I wasn't specifically referring to Shaq 1 year out of retirement, more like Miami Heat or LA Lakers Shaq.
    Also Wilt had almost identical measurements as Shaq, if you're skinny it just looks like you have longer limbs.

Shaq 7'7" wing span, 9'5" standing reach
    Wilt 7'8" wing span 9'6" standing reach

Wilt is not even close dumbass old geezers

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I don't mean to offend kblaze or jlauber but I don't believe Wilt's strength. If you lift weights regularly, especially weights that put you arguably as the strongest man in the world, you would develop some kind of muscular build but I just don't see it with Wilt.

Not really. huge people are just naturally gonna be more strong. by the time he had been in weights for a long time he was over 7'1'' 300+ pounds of nothing but muscle. He was lean...but most basketball players are. Even guys who look muscular.

Karl Malone looks near birdchested when you catch him next to people who just....try to develop huge builds.

A 300 pound athlete who has been lifting weights for 20 years is just...going to be strong. And a huge guy like that is gonna be a lot stronger than a normal sized guy.

I dont know what wilt could bench. But I dont know why the people who came out around his death would just pull numbers out of their asses. Ive yet to see ben wallace or Shaq or any of these huge guys with long arms that would supposedly keep them from being too strong bench wise even attempt to lift anything. But I dont have trouble believing they get over 400.

Ive seen HS kids do near that. Doesnt suprise me that huge adult athletes who are known to work out a lot can.

A lot of the idea that they cant is people assuming without any actual evidence which is the same thing they say should make people not believe the opposite.

When I see one of them try and fail ill say they cant. I have no evidence against it at all.

Ive seen Wilt push around this guy:

Ive heard nate talk about Wilt being the strongest guy he played(nate has a surprising number of long interviews online...he works with the Warriors a lot). And Nate does not strike me as someone prone to bullshit to make someone look better than him.

Im nto saying I think Wilt wins some worlds strongest man contest. But the things he could do just by being so huge and exceptional in the 50s-70s would likely make him the strongest man a lot of people had ever seen.

Where does someone go in 1964 to see someone stronger than Wilt? Youtube? The news? People saw what they saw before theirs eyes. Unless Andre the Giant came through in the 70s Wilt was probably the most massive and strong person most people of the time ever saw.

He was straight out of high school at the time, he's at least grown 1 inch since then. Again, 3 inches will not make a HUGE difference.

Also, I wasn't specifically referring to Shaq 1 year out of retirement, more like Miami Heat or LA Lakers Shaq.
    Also Wilt had almost identical measurements as Shaq, if you're skinny it just looks like you have longer limbs.

Shaq 7'7" wing span, 9'5" standing reach
    Wilt 7'8" wing span 9'6" standing reach
    IIRC In 2008 (4 years later) he was measured either 6'9 or 6'9.25 - most athletes probably do grow since high school, but only by a smidge (like... decimals of an inch), very few grow by a lot (1 or more inches) - and some will not grow at all. Nobody has to grow at least an inch after high school. I actually don't think I grew at all after high school aside from filling out. Doesn't seem like Dwight grew either, he and Hakeem working out together on youtube talk about being "undersized" centers... seeing as how the average barefoot height of an NBA center is about 6'10.4", his talk of being undersized indicates he's still markedly shorter than that.

He's strong for his height I'll say that. But ~6'9 and 240 is way smaller than Wilt's 7'1.06 and 258, or Shaq's 7'0.88" and 303lb draft measurements.

And all of them packed on weight afterwards, year for year Dwight never weighed within 15lbs of Wilt much less Shaq.

Dwight
    240 (2004)
    265 (2008)
    280 (2011)

Wilt
    258 (1959)
    320 (1963 off season)
    292 (1964 regular season)
    300+ (1970's Lakers)

Shaq
    303lbs (1994) - very athletic
    327lbs (2001) - kinda fat but very athletic
    368lbs (2000's) extremely fat due to an injury
    350lbs (2009) old fat veteran
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Not really. huge people are just naturally gonna be more strong. by the time he had been in weights for a long time he was over 7'1'' 300+ pounds of nothing but muscle. He was lean...but most basketball players are. Even guys who look muscular.

Karl Malone looks near birdchested when you catch him next to people who just....try to develop huge builds.

A 300 pound athlete who has been lifting weights for 20 years is just...going to be strong. And a huge guy like that is gonna be a lot stronger than a normal sized guy.

I dont know what wilt could bench. But I dont know why the people who came out around his death would just pull numbers out of their asses. Ive yet to see ben wallace or Shaq or any of these huge guys with long arms that would supposedly keep them from being too strong bench wise even attempt to lift anything. But I dont have trouble believing they get over 400.

Ive seen HS kids do near that. Doesnt suprise me that huge adult athletes who are known to work out a lot can.

A lot of the idea that they cant is people assuming without any actual evidence which is the same thing they say should make people not believe the opposite.

When I see one of them try and fail ill say they cant. I have no evidence against it at all.

Ive seen Wilt push around this guy:

Ive heard nate talk about Wilt being the strongest guy he played(nate has a surprising number of long interviews online...he works with the Warriors a lot). And Nate does not strike me as someone prone to bullshit to make someone look better than him.

Im nto saying I think Wilt wins some worlds strongest man contest. But the things he could do just by being so huge and exceptional in the 50s-70s would likely make him the strongest man a lot of people had ever seen.

Where does someone go in 1964 to see someone stronger than Wilt? Youtube? The news? People saw what they saw before theirs eyes. Unless Andre the Giant came through in the 70s Wilt was probably the most massive and strong person most people of the time ever saw.
    Don't let vascularity fool you though, I don't know what Nate's weight was in his peak but he's only listed at 225 so it would be no surprise that Wilt would be able to bully him in the paint.
    For example, Yi is a really vascular guy because he's so lean but most would agree he's not strong:

At CavaliersFTW okay, let's say he's 6'9" then. Makes almost no difference.

Edit: i see you added stuff to your post. Dwight does not weigh 240 anymore, he's around 280.

Edit: just found the link saying he's at 275.
    http://www.aolnews.com/2009/09/29/dw...-to-be-better/

Your argument is that height really does matter. If that's the case, 275 at his height vs 275 at 7'2" makes Dwight stronger than Wilt.
    Last edited by gyu; 02-26-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Don't let vascularity fool you though, I don't know what Nate's weight was in his peak but he's only listed at 225 so it would be no surprise that Wilt would be able to bully him in the paint.
    For example, Yi is a really vascular guy because he's so lean but most would agree he's not strong:

At CavaliersFTW okay, let's say he's 6'9" then. Makes almost no difference.
    lol @ 225lbs listed weight....

That's his draft weight

www.draftexpress.com/measurements
    Is Dwight Howard only 240lbs still? Should we gauge his strength based only on that?

Thurmond is a man that I have no recorded weights for at this time but in the late 60's and early 70's he was a LOT heavier than when he was a rookie. It's incredibly obvious.

Bill Russell is listed 215. But in 1967 he weighed 235, and 240 in the off seasons. Would you know that at all based on his 1958 list weight?

How about Wilt's 250lb rookie list weight (despite weighing 258) and his 275lb mid-career list weight (despite weighing ~290).

list weights = grain of salt. you need more info on players before you can assume their list weight is correct.