Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Troll who tries to provoke you

Default Re: Better defender in his position - Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    kobe is a far better defender than duncan and has the awards to prove it
    Yeah like REAL Award called "DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR"

-Kobe has 10 of them.
    -Duncan has NONE.

Hope you dont bring in POPULARITY CONTEST all-D 1st & 2nd teams.

Kobe Bryant has 12 all defensive team selections.

Duncan has 13....

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    Kobe Bryant has 12 all defensive team selections.

Duncan has 13....

still

All-D first test, second team or 3rd team is a POPULARITY CONTEST.

Where is the HARDWARE or CATAGORY CHAMPIONSHIP.

Kobe FAILED to lead NBA in STEALS catagory for a SINGLE yr. A.I has LED it 3 times.

Duncan has FAILED to lead NBA in BLOCK SHOTS catagory for a SINGLE yr.

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    still

Kobe FAILED to lead NBA in STEALS catagory for a SINGLE yr. A.I has LED it 3 times.

There is no such thing as third team all defensive team.

How do you such strong opinions about subjects you apparently know nothing about?

The idea that AI was a strong defender due to steals or Duncan was not due to not leading the league in blocks is as bizarre as your RANDOM word CAPITILIZATIONS and SPELLANGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    There is no such thing as third team all defensive team.

How do you such strong opinions about subjects you apparently know nothing about?

The idea that AI was a strong defender due to steals or Duncan was not due to not leading the league in blocks is as bizarre as your RANDOM word CAPITILIZATIONS and SPELLANGS.
    There is even a 4th team if its a POPULARITY CONTEST.

trust me.

Both Duncan & Kobe had 15+ yrs to be atleast in TOP 3 to show their defensive powers.

There is even a 4th team if its a POPULARITY CONTEST.

trust me.

Both Duncan & Kobe had 15+ yrs to be atleast in TOP 3 to show their defensive powers.
    They did. Kobe, Duncan and Garnett have the most all defensive team selections of all time. They have 10 rings between them. They have been a part of probably a half dozen #1 ranked defensive teams. Great championship leveL TWO WAY SUPERSTARS are POPULAR.
    Last edited by Yao Ming's Foot; 03-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    All the other great defensive players of the decade (Garnett, Duncan, Wallace, Howard, Bowen, Artest, Kidd, etc) have been confirmed to have been deserving of their defensive reps...all except Kobe. Def RAPM says he's never been anything more than above average(at his best) and outright bad(at his worst). There's a reason why there's such an outcry from fans every time he receives another undeserved All-Defensive accolade. He doesn't deserve half of those selections.
    exactly

he deserves up to half of them, so at one point he was an elite defender, which was my point

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Duncan never gets credit for his defense while Kobe has been stockpiling all NBA defensive honours so I think ISH will give the edge to Kobe on this comparison, I think it is crazy and I would give the nod to Duncan any day of the week but I would be in a minority. What do you guys all think?

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    All the other great defensive players of the decade (Garnett, Duncan, Wallace, Howard, Bowen, Artest, Kidd, etc) have been confirmed to have been deserving of their defensive reps...all except Kobe. Def RAPM says he's never been anything more than above average(at his best) and outright bad(at his worst). There's a reason why there's such an outcry from fans every time he receives another undeserved All-Defensive accolade. He doesn't deserve half of those selections.
    All the other great defensive players of the decade (PF, PF, C, C, SF, SF, PG, etc)

1) Defensive RAPM has never been the standard for all defensive team awards

2) All defensive teams are voted in with a 5 man lineup. The large majority of voters vote PG-SG-SF-PF-C. In other words none of those guys you mentioned are actually in competition with Kobe for his awards.

3) There is an outcry because haters are going to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    kobe is a far better defender than duncan and has the awards to prove it
    Stop it. You're making Lakers fans look bad.

Duncan is far and away the better defender. One of the best defensive bigs i've ever seen, particularly from the PF position. He just never won DPOY, but mostly always played DPOY-caliber basketball.

Kobe is a good man-to-man defender when he's focused on it...but ever since around '09 he started to become more and more inconsistent. 1999-2003 Kobe was an incredible 1v1 defender, and would play the passing lanes extremely well. I still wouldn't take him over Duncan. Interior defense is essentially more important than perimeter defense anyway.

Duncan certainly has received credit for his defense. Even though he's never won a DPOY, he's at least been considered for the award. Kobe's defense was above average, but his defense didn't make you say "Oh wow, this guy is a DPOY candidate". Kobe was no Bowen or Artest.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    You're not even capable of understanding.

Even the craziest Kobe-stans don't try to sound like Kobe has a case over Duncan defensively due to having more defensive team selections. Yet you tried.

Kobe has no case over Duncan for being the better defensive player and difference is between them is not a minority.

/thread.
    I was being sarcastic about Duncan not getting credit for his defense, there have been threads on how Duncan is overrated and how he just can stand around and viewed as a good defender for his long arms when his fundamentals in defenive rebounds and blocking shots are lacking, they are just crazy/dumb people who know nothing about basketball. Seem like you are a fan of Duncan's, you should not have attacked me in the first place because what I did was saying how Duncan is underrated and you were not smart enough to get the sarcasm.

Back to the topic, Kobe has probably accumulated more all defensive honours than any other wing playerd in the league and his fans have him as the best defensive player to have ever played the position so I wanted to know what other posters think.

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    I was being sarcastic about Duncan not getting credit for his defense, there have been threads on how Duncan is overrated and how he just can stand around and viewed as a good defender for his long arms when his fundamentals in defenive rebounds and blocking shots are lacking, they are just crazy/dumb people who know nothing about basketball. Seem like you are a fan of Duncan's, you should not have attacked me in the first place because what I did was saying how Duncan is underrated and you were not smart enough to get the sarcasm.

Back to the topic, Kobe has probably accumulated more all defensive honours than any other wing playerd in the league and his fans have him as the best defensive player to have ever played the position so I wanted to know what other posters think.

Anyway...outside of maybe 9empire/kennethgriffin there isn't a single living organism that considers Kobe the best defensive SG ever.

Of course, stupid people like yourself turn him into "He hasn't deserved one since 2003". Which is nonsense.

Anyway, if I'm right here, Duncan has made the more All-Defensive Teams than anyone in history. He made the All-NBA Team and All-Defensive Team his first 13 years in the league. They even voted him in as a C his last two times (despite making the All-NBA Team as a F both years). I know he made the 1st Team in five straight seasons and then I know he made it at least twice after...I think he's made the 1st Team 8 times total. I know Jordan, KG, Payton, Kobe all made it 9 times and that that's the record. So, because of ties, Duncan is at least tied for 5th place...assuming I'm not giving him one extra.

Now, most people consider Duncan a top 2-3 defensive PF ever...some even think he's the best. I don't know that there's anyone who would argue him out of the top 5. Jordan, Moncrief, Dumars, West...off the top of my head those are the top 4...Robertson is also up there. I have no idea why I wasted this much time responding but there you go.

still

Right because defensive "stats" tell the whole story

Ibaka led the league in blocks last season, do you believe he should've been the DPOY?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    They won't. He's not a great or elite defender at all. Never has been.
    Shh. Don't say that.