Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: wade with a revealing quote about the changing mentality of NBA players

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Lol players these days are so mentally weak. WTF like who cares about stats. Couldn't imagine a guy like Jordan or Bird saying this shit.
    Jordan and Bird routinely shot 50% or better in their prime, buddy. Pretty certain they endorse the mentality.

Banned

Default Re: wade with a revealing quote about the changing mentality of NBA players

WTF happened to Wade? Dude used to be a stone cold killer. Now all he does is kiss LeBron ass, or defend him every chance he gets.

Through out his career, Wade didn't seem like he was playing to reserve certain stats. He was reckless on the floor but in an effective way.

Now Wade lost that street hunger.

Banned

stats padding shits, basically both he and lebron admitting to the reason of not shooting last second end of quarter fullcourt chucks to pad their percentages.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    if you notice, lebron will never shoot the ball at the end of the first three quarters to save his fg%. he will get the ball and there will be like 2 sec left he will never shoot it. he will just let the time run out because he doesnt want to shoot a low percentage shot, even if there is a chance it could put his team up by more.

if lebron didnt play to save his fg% he would be shooting 45% probably.
    There have been hundreds of threads on this.

Samurai Swoosh

Good thread, from a SMART poster in disguise as a troll. ... Start posting up to your potential consistently, ph-aggot.

A few comments. This speaks to a change in basketball approach and intelligence from the game's top stars. Not necessarily positive in all cases.

The immediate post MJ generation tried to fill his shoes with volume scoring on worse percentages (Iverson and Kobe) ... it also coincided with the most depressed offensive era. Limited possessions, slower pace, influx of HS players, loss of basketball intelligence, skills and defined offensive roles. The era of the combo guard emerged (Iverson, B Diddy, Francis, Marbury)

Kobe on one hand can be respected for his no phucks given attitude when it comes to shot selection and FGA amount. But it also kills his team at times with loss of possessions on bad shots.

LeBron / Wade's generation emphasis a John Hollinger approach of better efficiency. On the surface, this is awesome. When perimeter players are shooting closer to 50%, that means their averages of PPG are closer to their caliber of scorer. It's ideal.

BUT ... when you're sacrificing game changing shots, however incremental in order to keep a 50% fg percentage, handing the ball off to lesser players (LeBron) to keep your stats clean, or dribbling out shot clocks. You're sacrificing potential game winning shots. I don't appreciate that. There is something seedy about that in which you're undermining true competitive spirit.

The ideal scenario is if you combine the two mentalities of Kobe's generation and LeBron's generation. Maximized individual talent, while getting other's involved, and not sacrificing game altering shots for ideal streamlined percentages.

Basically, be the Jordan / Bird / Magic type. Assert your individual dominance within a championship team framework. Don't be afraid to maximize your individual output, such as by not shooting certain shots, but also don't over due at the expense of loss of possession or alienating teammates "in order to get yours" or "do you" (Kobe mentality)

There is a balance that needs to be met. But it's interesting to think about, and essentially why both generation defining talents (Kobe, LeBron, Wade) have at some point or another turned me off as an individual fan, where it gets me thinking about what their problem is and why I find their either competitiveness or basketball philosophy all kinds of messed up.

Side note, there is clear generational gap and resentment between Kobe and the LeBron / Wade camp. I constantly see subliminal shots at the other over the past 3 - 4 years. And it at times has even gotten physical on the court.

Last game I saw Kobe and Wade getting physical on the block a few times. There is definitely resentment on both sides. This comment is an extension of that beef.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Jordan and Bird routinely shot 50% or better in their prime, buddy. Pretty certain they endorse the mentality.
    So you mean to tell me only players that shoot over 50% should be taking shots? This is retarded unless you can show me that Bird and Jordan shot over 50% every game(you can't) your post is pretty much pointless. I'm sure Larry Bird who's a career playoff 47% and Jordan who's a career 48% playoff shooter agree with your dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    Lebron is a smarter player than kobe. Better player too. No troll
    When he plays a real defense that knows how to stop him gets exposed. I'll take Kobe vs any defense. 18 ppg vs the ****ing mavericks while a bench player out scores you. Are you kidding me? Better player? At protecting his FG% yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Neither shot 50% vs elite defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    When he plays a real defense that knows how to stop him gets exposed. I'll take Kobe vs any defense. 18 ppg vs the ****ing mavericks while a bench player out scores you. Are you kidding me? Better player? At protecting his FG% yes.
    lbj is clearly better than kobe and it only becomes more obvious as the years go by

nba is a joke these days. most these clowns rather shoot 50% in a season than tp win a ring.
    Good try but no, there are 0 players like that, in fact.

In the 80s and 90s, players were conscious of team stats only. And that stat usually was: amount of points scored, the goal being that your team would have more. That is what Larry and Magic were thinking about, whether it meant they put up 40 points or 20.

In the 00s, players were conscious of how many points they were scoring.

And now, players are conscious of their efficiency. I prefer the 80s/90s attitude of wanting to shut down the other team and score however possible, but surely this is an improvement on the "how many points do I have" attitude of the 00s that still drives Kobe (and no one else, it seems).

As for the point someone made about Lebron not throwing up halfcourt shots: I tend to agree with you about that. It does show a bit more of a concern for stats than you want. On the other hand, there is something undignified about a desperate heave. I don't think it's so much protecting his %s as intimidation and posturing. There are certain things Lebron does to set himself above the rest of the league and that's one of them. I don't think it's a bad thing. Of course Magic was never afraid to throw up a halfcourt heave... but different players beat you different ways. The theory of Lebron as stat padder, overall, does not add up. He's sat too many 4th quarters. If he's a rebound or assist shy of a triple double you won't see him trying to force that stat.
    Last edited by Clifton; 01-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Banned

New Era Chumps love stats and this is hurting the game. Elite players plays of instincts and feel especially in Basketball when it comes to Scoring. GTFO here with New Era kids being Coached like Bots these days and getting these stat geeks brain washed thinking only efficiency will win you games.

Samurai Swoosh

Both generational mentalities suck. Kobe and his obsession with comparing himself to the MJ standard, trying to volume score to the tune of 30 ppg (ppg being his focus) on worse percentages and at the expense of his teammates, chemistry, and winning games (wants the appearance of winning, but only on his terms)

And the LeBron / Wade generation playing for EFFICIENCY numbers is just as bad. Passing up shots to lesser players in order to save efficiency stats, but could be game changing shots that provide momentum to wins.

Wade / Durant playing at times for the whistle instead of the bucket.

A player should just go out and BALL and let the PPG / FG% chips fall where they may. Thank god there is still old school cats like Derrick Rose who pop up here and there.

The goal is to lead teams to wins, by ANY means necessary. Just get BUCKETS.

Wow, Wade and LeBron don't take retarded shots on purpose? Who would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    lbj is clearly better than kobe and it only becomes more obvious as the years go by
    Yeah

Chris Bosh - 18.5 ppg
    Jason Terry - 18.0 ppg
    Lebron James - 17.8 ppg

And keep in mind that the Mavs were one of the greatest defensive team of all-time...

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Wow, Wade and LeBron don't take retarded shots on purpose? Who would have thought?
    They also pass up game changing shots that can bring momentum to wins in order to protect their FG%

Just as bad as Kobe or Iverson gunning for selfish 30 ppg numbers. The numbers is the focus, and not the wins.

Get Wade and Bron's ====D out your mouth, and look at the root of each player / generational philosophy and see that it's the same thing.