Wade Vs Drexler

Garnett Vs Dirk

Melo Vs Wilkins

Howard Vs Alonzo

P George Vs J Harden

Love Vs Griffin

Bosh Vs Alrdige

Just curious to see the answerss
    Some tough picks. There are certain types of players that I prefer and some of these guys were the types of players that I don't particularily care for.

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Default Re: Pick a player ? Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Some tough picks. There are certain types of players that I prefer and some of these guys were the types of players that I don't particularily care for.
    Yeah i just chose players i thought would be a little difficult to choose
    some are a little easy

Quote Originally Posted by Jlamb47
    Peaks

Magic Vs Bird

Jordan Vs Kareem

Shaq Vs Hakeem

Lebron Vs Durant

Kobe Vs Duncan

Russell Vs Wilt

Robinson Vs Ewing

Barkley Vs Malone

Tmac Vs Iverson

R Miller Vs R Allen

Westbrook Vs Rose

CP3 Vs Stockton

Kidd Vs Nash

Wall Vs Irving

Wade Vs Drexler

Garnett Vs Dirk

Melo Vs Wilkins

Howard Vs Alonzo

P George Vs J Harden

Love Vs Griffin

Bosh Vs Alrdige

A few tough choices.

Barkley vs. Malone: I don't rate either of them as defenders, but Barkley had a bigger imprint on the offense and he was pretty much always the guy who set the tone. His numbers are better than Malone's even though Karl got to play with one of the three best true PGs ever (the others being Magic and Nash, with Paul close behind).

CP3 vs. Nash: I'm taking New Orleans Paul here. The offense he runs in LA isn't trustworthy come Playoffs time, and neither was the offense in Phoenix with Nash. But Paul was unbelievable in New Orleans and an underrated scorer, not to mention a great passer and defender.

Garnett vs. Dirk: this was the toughest. If I had to have Dirk's best season or KG's best season, I'd take KG's. If it's what they can do at their absolute best, over a shorter period of time (a series or Playoff run, for example), I'd take Dirk.

Is this for 1v1 or team play?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmode88
    Is this for 1v1 or team play?
    Just peak vs peak, i would say more of team play

i got kobe vs duncan not really a 1 v 1 match

Peaks

Magic Vs Bird

Jordan Vs Kareem

Shaq Vs Hakeem

Lebron Vs Durant

Kobe Vs Duncan

Russell Vs Wilt

Robinson Vs Ewing

Barkley Vs Malone

Tmac Vs Iverson

R Miller Vs R Allen

Westbrook Vs Rose

CP3 Vs Stockton

Kidd Vs Nash

Wall Vs Irving

Wade Vs Drexler

Garnett Vs Dirk

Melo Vs Wilkins

Howard Vs Alonzo

P George Vs J Harden

Love Vs Griffin

Bosh Vs Alrdige

My picks

Peaks

Magic Vs Bird

Jordan Vs Kareem

Shaq Vs Hakeem

Lebron Vs Durant

Kobe Vs Duncan

Russell Vs Wilt

Robinson Vs Ewing

Barkley Vs Malone

Tmac Vs Iverson

R Miller Vs R Allen

Westbrook Vs Rose

CP3 Vs Stockton

Kidd Vs Nash

Wall Vs Irving

Wade Vs Drexler

Garnett Vs Dirk

Melo Vs Wilkins

Howard Vs Alonzo

P George Vs J Harden

Love Vs Griffin

Bosh Vs Alrdige

Magic
    Kareem
    Shaq, but Hakeem was more skilled.
    LeBron
    Duncan
    Wilt
    Robinson
    Malone
    Tmac
    Ray Allen
    Westbrook
    (I can't decide)
    Kidd
    Wall
    Dwade
    Garnett
    Nique
    Can't decide
    George
    Griffin
    Bosh

Man this was tough today.
    Last edited by Mr Exlax; 09-09-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Magic Vs Bird

Jordan Vs Kareem

Shaq Vs Hakeem

Lebron Vs Durant

Kobe Vs Duncan

Russell Vs Wilt

Robinson Vs Ewing -Tough call on this one

Barkley Vs Malone

Tmac Vs Iverson

R Miller Vs R Allen

Westbrook Vs Rose

CP3 Vs Stockton

Kidd Vs Nash

Wall Vs Irving - should pick Kyrie as a homer, but love Wall's size/D

Wade Vs Drexler

Garnett Vs Dirk

Melo Vs Wilkins

Howard Vs Alonzo

P George Vs J Harden

Love Vs Griffin

Bosh Vs Alrdige

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Magic Vs Bird

Jordan Vs Kareem

Shaq Vs Hakeem

Lebron Vs Durant

Kobe Vs Duncan

Russell Vs Wilt

Robinson Vs Ewing -Tough call on this one

Barkley Vs Malone

Tmac Vs Iverson

R Miller Vs R Allen

Westbrook Vs Rose

CP3 Vs Stockton

Kidd Vs Nash

Wall Vs Irving - should pick Kyrie as a homer, but love Wall's size/D

Wade Vs Drexler

Garnett Vs Dirk

Melo Vs Wilkins

Howard Vs Alonzo

P George Vs J Harden

Love Vs Griffin

Bosh Vs Alrdige
    Quick question. How do you pick Wall over Irving and say it's cause of his size and D, but then pick Iverson over TMac?

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Quick question. How do you pick Wall over Irving and say it's cause of his size and D, but then pick Iverson over TMac?
    Good question.

I grew up watching AI and have a soft spot in my heart for him I guess. I actually went back and forth on that one a little and almost picked T-Mac...

I like how tough it can be to choose between these great players. I can see on some of these matchups people are having different choices and hard time choosing

Magic Vs Bird: Bird

Jordan Vs Kareem: Jordan

Shaq Vs Hakeem: Shaq

Lebron Vs Durant: LeBron

Kobe Vs Duncan: Duncan

Russell Vs Wilt: Wilt

Robinson Vs Ewing: Robinson

Barkley Vs Malone: Malone

Tmac Vs Iverson: TMac

R Miller Vs R Allen: Allen

Westbrook Vs Rose: Westbrook

CP3 Vs Stockton: CP3

Kidd Vs Nash: Kidd

Wall Vs Irving: Wall

Wade Vs Drexler: Wade

Garnett Vs Dirk: Garnett

Melo Vs Wilkins: Draw

Howard Vs Alonzo: Howard

P George Vs J Harden: George

Love Vs Griffin: Griffin

Bosh Vs Aldridge: Bosh

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Good question.

I grew up watching AI and have a soft spot in my heart for him I guess. I actually went back and forth on that one a little and almost picked T-Mac...
    Gotcha! Totally understandable.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Magic Vs Bird - Although I make no claims of objectivity.

Jordan Vs Kareem - The Dominance over the extended stretch usually has me putting Kareem tops ever, even though he annoyed the hell out of me as a kid.

Shaq Vs Hakeem - Overall he wound up disappointing me, but I still never saw anyone warp the floor quite like Shaq.

Lebron Vs Durant - He's unlike anything I've seen. He's got incredible pieces from so many great players' games.

Kobe Vs Duncan - My traditionality seems to to push me more toward bigs. But even then, the second MVP is a huge asset to me on the all time consideration front.

Russell Vs Wilt - This is a tough one because there isn't enough to go on. I do think Wilt's physical gifts would probably make him a better asset today. And Russell gets diminished by people for not scoring enough. But I've decided to try not to apply my values to other situations, and if defending and rebounding were the attributes that most generated winning, then who am I to complain.

Robinson Vs Ewing - In a lot of ways both guys were sort of disappointed. I saw Robinson's first game as like a 7th grader when they came to Boston, and was convinced this is what Wilt most have been like. But he lacked instinct. I'd also love to know what happened to Ewing physically because the defensive prowling monster of his youth was not the guy who became a spectacular turn around jump shooter. And it's ashame that the two versions didn't overlap more.

Barkley Vs Malone - I'm probably considered a hater of both of these guys. Both to me had fatal flaws in that they just didn't provide enough Rim Protection from a postion that at that time required it. But Barkley's one of the game's all time walking mismatches, while Malone to me is just the best at making the shots he should make, which has it's value obviously, but he wasn't a basketball genius who could create. Barkley reminds me most of an inside out Dirk. Both limited on the other end, but just create the craziest mismatches, but in entirely different ways. Honestly if it's my team I'd take McHale over all of them.

Tmac Vs Iverson - A little like Ewing, it's a shame the crazy all court defender and playmaking almost Scottie Pippen like PSF from Toronto, didn't really cross paths with the explosive 28 PPG scoring champ. But he came closer in Orlando than most. Iverson is another guy I just can't get behind because he's just so hard to build around. A big PG to defend the SG, other top level players who can excel without scoring, guys like Dikembe, who's the rare player who can score 6 points and still have been the best guy on the court. Ty Hill, George Lynch, guys who can do their thing without the ball. It's all so hard to figure out. It's amazing to me those Sixer teams did as well as they did.

R Miller Vs R Allen I've long since felt Reggie was overrated. And Allen is almost underrated from his all around game sort of being lost in the pureness of his stroke, and because the best of it happened on some pretty middling teams in Milwaukee and Seattle.

Westbrook Vs Rose - This might be too close for me to call. That MVP is a big deal. But I need to know if Rose will ever get back to where he was, or if Westbrook is going to continue to get better.

CP3 Vs Stockton - I could go either way on this one too. (You're good at setting these up). I openly admit to having liked both Deron Williams and Ray Felton (ugh) better than Paul coming into the league, and perhaps I've stubbornly decided to continue underrating him forever. But I do think he's overvalued defensively. Stockton is almost underrated. He seems to get too little credit for how creative he was. He's viewed as master of the system. But back in the day when that Jazz team NEEDED something to happen, it was Stockton who got the call way way more than the all time leading scorer.

Kidd Vs Nash - Another tough one because of the MVP's. But Kidd's defense and the way he affected teams was too much for my taste. I do think Nash is in a way underrated historically for just how great a shooter he was for a stretch there. I'm not talking about straight percentages, but those in conjunction with how much he had the ball and had attention of opponents. He's in the West / Bird stratosphere for a few seasons there.

Wall Vs Irving - I did this one in it's own thread a few months back IIRC. I think Lillard is in the mix too. I've seen both guys in person a few times. One of the things that jumps out is just how big and athletic Wall is. I'm not sure he's even scratched the surface of how good he could be. He may never get all the way there. He does some things statistically that are a bit hidden, for example with all the love for the corner three these days, the data shows that no one came close to producing more of those shots than Wall last year, which makes sense based on his ability to turn the corner up top. Irving is maybe a great shooter, and certainly a great ball handler, and he's definitely a better fit in his current situation. But for now I'd take Wall.

Wade Vs Drexler - Both really similar. A bit limited from the perimeter, but some of the most head down attacking perimeter players ever. Drexler is to me a little better end to end, and a bit more gracefull, but not as physical as Wade was at his best, and I'd take that shorter stretch from Wade for the damage he did to teams as a result of his attacking.

Garnett Vs Dirk - I go back and fourth on these guys all the time. I do like both better than Malone and Barkley if it's my team being assembled. Garnett is the easy answer because the offensive production numbers are more than adaquate from Garnett to make his glaring advantage at the other end seem like a no brainer. But Garnett's production offensively was always as a cog in the machine. Excellent passer, threatening shooter, could post up, and got a lot of easy buckets through beating people end to end and on the glass where he was truely great. But Dirk's offense while maybe not always hugely more productive in terms of raw numbers, doesn't take into account just how much he screwed up defenses. Like Barkley he was a walking mismatch. And if you needed a bucket, you could go to Dirk no matter what and feel like you'd get a shot, while Garnett just didn't play that way. It just totally depends on what other assets you have.

Melo Vs Wilkins - Dominique could score, but it's the variety of ways in which Melo can come at you that just makes him more of a threat in my book. He's a little like a bit of a between Barkley and Dirk.

Howard Vs Alonzo The games and production are similar. Dwight may bring more to the table physically, but if he does it's not by enough to overcome the gap in general intensity.

P George Vs J Harden - This was a big one in the offseason and I preferred George then and still do. I felt I was on the Harden was overrated bandwagon pretty early, and then it got a little overstated, and now I feel like I'm an apologist for the guy. But my opinion hasn't changed. Obviuosly the gap is huge on the defensive end. But to me it's more about Harden's inability to fit in without the ball. I'd prefer George almost regardless of the defensive gap.

Love Vs Griffin - Griffin feels like he comes from a different era. I actually feel like Griffin is a little underrated as a ball handler and passer. But he doesn't stretch the floor the way Love does. His athleticism doesn't make him a hugely better defender. And Love outrebounds him. There is some value in Griffin's athleticism that isn't measurable. The lanes he fills and space he takes up is something that may have yield in other areas. But Love's ability to warp the floor in this league is something that has seen it's value sky-rocket.

Bosh Vs Alrdige - Bosh has aged a lot since his days in Toronto. Who knows how Aldridge will age. I actually have a lot of respect for Bosh subjugating his game for the betterment of the team. But I would hope that Aldridge progresses to be better over time.