Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: My How The Game Has Changed

If you took the 3-point line out of today's game so guys only shot two's like in OP's vids, today's game would look a lot like those games... no spacing, congestion and everyone on both sides of the ball positioned a lot closer to the rim on average.

But those guys got up and down back then... a game with all two's is a faster paced game.. you don't need to be as open to shoot a mid-range shot as you do a 3, so less offense needs to be run.

Look below at an example of the open paint in today's game where 4 shooters spread the floor and the defense has to extend to the 3-point line to guard them... plus today's defensive 3 seconds rule also removes defenders from the paint... as you can see, there is often zero rim protection.. I'm pretty sure Wilt would prefer this kind of environment to the paint congestion he dealt with in his era where there was no 3-point line.

Compare that to the paint in a game without 3-pointers, floor spacing or defensive 3 seconds - seen below.. which one is harder to score in the paint?... heck, which one is harder to drive and get all the way to the rim?.. no wonder guys are posting up so much back then (in addition to the rules being different such as no carrying, making it harder on perimeter players - in other words, put today's carrying guard back then when they couldn't carry, and they would look a lot like the guards back then).

Keep in mind that the lack of spacing meant that contested mid-range shots were the norm in previous eras, putting downward pressure on efficiency that today's players are not burdened with.

Last edited by 3ball; 07-25-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

the 3 point line has changed the game?!?! who would've thought...

Not airballing my layups anymore

watched the first video. I

[QUOTE=casual_fan]watched the first video. I

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    there's just as much BS that goes on in the modern game it just comes in the form of different plays. Such as terrible ball handling (seems like every player in the league today can't dribble the ball unless they carry) and terrible no-calls on footwork at times (lots of traveling... ), prominent ticy tac fouling on drivers and flopping, a general lack of ball movement and dependence on ISO plays, etc

Neither version of the game being played is better or worse, unless you have a strong opinion about some of these otherwise subtle differences. IMO it's just as dumb to say that game was inferior to today's game as it sounds if you tried to say it the other way around. It was just different. And not even in obvious ways, you still rebound, dribble, pass and shoot with 5 guys on a team and 2 10 foot baskets. The game is still like 90% similar. Takes a second glance to start to notice all the little differences.
    I was of course looking for the differences since i was interested how the game was played back then. Mostly it was better than expected and there might be teams playing today just as unfocused, however : not in the finals.

Look at the way the bucks give up an open shot whenever washington sets a screen.

I always assume that the people here who constantly talk shit about old school NBA players either have daddy issues or were smacked around/molested by an older male figure. That's the only thing that explains the venom directed towards players like Wilt and Russell by these kids.

Quote Originally Posted by The Choken One
    Skipped to a random part in the first video... some guy blows a wide open layout leading to a transition shot for the other team...BRICK.

Strong skill level.

edit: After watching just a few minutes... lol @ anyone who thinks Wilt would be as dominate as he was then in today's NBA. He's like a DeAndre Jordan minus the ups.
    you a retard boiiiiiiii

kobe is done boiiiiii

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

nothing like seeing a bunch of guards with no offhand and resorting to dribbling with their back to the basket as soon as they cross halfcourt to convince people that the era was garbage